Has anyone used this magnetic gluing jig?

Goldenrodfarm

I have two of these, but mostly use them for soldering over the years, particularly on computer boards, it also makes electrical soldiering much easier on the fingers!  Now that you brought it to my attention I think I could have used it when I was making the skeleton of the roof on my fairy house, I was having a hard time with clamps slipping because of the cone.

I checked on tracking and my gluing jig is supposed to be here on Friday!

• Like 2

I have two third hands just like your photo. I use them when I solder sterling silver jewelry. I remove the clips and use long needle nose heat resistant stainless steel tweezers in their place. Using them when painting tiny things is a good idea. You may want to pad the clips so they don't damage wood or just use tweezers in place of the clips. The magnifier glass makes them top heavy so mounting the third hand down to a board or table might be a good idea. This would also be handy when gluing really tiny things. Say when gluing the top on a tiny perfume bottle.

• Like 1

I have one of those third hands also. Very convenient. There are times when nothing else will do!

I am planning to buy a second gluing jig - one that is open-ended. When working on my 1:48 house, I wanted to use the jig for gluing the corners, but the rest of the wall was too big to fit inside the 4-sided jig.  The one I'm looking at is 10.5" X 7.5" and is only 2-sided, so larger things could hang off the edge. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CheckMouse said:

I am planning to buy a second gluing jig - one that is open-ended. When working on my 1:48 house, I wanted to use the jig for gluing the corners, but the rest of the wall was too big to fit inside the 4-sided jig.  The one I'm looking at is 10.5" X 7.5" and is only 2-sided, so larger things could hang off the edge. 

I saw a video on using the gluing jig, and the guy was using it upside down and had drawn a grid on it using a straight edge, that way the edges didn’t restrict him.  I thought about making one but the super magnets are expensive and in the end it would have cost about the same as buying it.  While looking at super magnets I noticed they have a lot of straight bars that could be very useful with the gluing jig.

13 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I saw a video on using the gluing jig, and the guy was using it upside down and had drawn a grid on it using a straight edge, that way the edges didn’t restrict him.

I cut a somewhat thin plastic grid used for quilting to fit inside my jig to help with squaring up items. Never thought about turning the pan over and putting the grid on top for larger pieces. (Or maybe I just haven't had a need yet.)

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I use the corners of mine to help square things.

I do, too, and I often put some pressure on it to hold it tight. I can't quite picture using a flat, and raised, surface for that. I did improvise by using a metal square for glueing a corner, but the regular jig is much better. 

This is the one I'm looking at and will plan on getting it before I build another 1:48 house. 
Glueing Jig

:sad_2:... I went googling for a gluing jig in Australia after reading this thread... nope.... Only one online hobby shop carries them and they are not in stock... :crash:

If you have a nearby vocational / technical school, they might be willing to have a student do a project creating the square for you and pick up construction magnets at a hardware store.

40 minutes ago, Samusa said:

:sad_2:... I went googling for a gluing jig in Australia after reading this thread... nope.... Only one online hobby shop carries them and they are not in stock... :crash:

Did you click on the link that CJ has. It looks like they ship world wide?

https://minisbykaren.com/index.php?main_page=shopping_cart&zenid=dfcb35e8265309d3713879485599162c

Just now, Mid-life madness said:

Did you click on the link that CJ has. It looks like they ship world wide?

https://minisbykaren.com/index.php?main_page=shopping_cart&zenid=dfcb35e8265309d3713879485599162c

Yup, and I guess I'll end up getting one from overseas. I was just trying to save on shipping time and expense. :D I don't know how the postal service makes no money.. I'm pretty sure I'm paying one persons wages on my own. :rolleyes:

Just now, Samusa said:

Yup, and I guess I'll end up getting one from overseas. I was just trying to save on shipping time and expense. :D I don't know how the postal service makes no money.. I'm pretty sure I'm paying one persons wages on my own. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure nothing in my house is square or plumb....my kids tell me my house is crooked. It adds to the charm.

I'll probably slip little dollhouse napkins under the kitchen table legs to keep it from tilting!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

I'm pretty sure nothing in my house is square or plumb....my kids tell me my house is crooked. It adds to the charm.

I'll probably slip little dollhouse napkins under the kitchen table legs to keep it from tilting!

Nothing in my real life house is square or plum.. in fact one wall leans out so bad that I can't put any high furniture on it. Where it touches the wall at the base it's about 4 inches from the wall at the top. :crazyeyes: 

Why should a dollhouse be any different. All old houses are like this and most dollhouses are modeled on old ones. Well, that's my theory anyway and I'm sticking to it. :D 

12 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Nothing in my real life house is square or plum.. in fact one wall leans out so bad that I can't put any high furniture on it. Where it touches the wall at the base it's about 4 inches from the wall at the top. :crazyeyes: 

Why should a dollhouse be any different. All old houses are like this and most dollhouses are modeled on old ones. Well, that's my theory anyway and I'm sticking to it. :D 

This made me laugh, my house is totally not square or plum, and neither is the barn.  Some times it drives me crazy when I am doing carpenter work.  I have a long window bench in front of my two dining room windows, the difference from one end to the other is 4”, I ended up putting adjustable feet on it so I could level it to the window bottom.  My stove and fridge are blocked up in the front about 3 1/2”.  I guess that is what you get from a 200+ yo farm house that was built in sections.  I always wanted to build a miniature of my house, but it would not match if it was all square and plum.

• Like 2

This made me laugh too. I lived in a lot of old English houses in the days when everyone wallpapered every year and I was the family wallpaperer.. I don't think I ever did a wall that was true. I once remember trying to put a Regency stripe in one room and I had to change my mind  Oh and I remember the grandfather clock in my parents home, it was an ongoing bicker with them. Either you shimmed at the bottom front or it was away from the wall a lot at the top, either way it looked wrong.. Such is the charm of these special places.

• Like 1

I asked DH to raise a shelf in the master bedroom closet right after we moved into our BRAND NEW house a few years back. I wanted two hanging racks on one wall for shirts and jackets. No problem - just remove one shelf and reposition it higher on the wall.  As the air turned blue I went in to see what was wrong. Turns out the closet walls were not square!  He was having a terrible time making the shelf fit at the higher level!  And this was a new house! :pullhair:  

• Like 1