Santa Rosa Fire

WyckedWood

I took a screen shot with my phone of all of your comments and posted them on one of her fb posts. She was touched to tears and asked me to thank you all, she doesn't have the heart to come here yet and see her dollhouses. Understandable!  Love to you all. She said that everyone's concern is helping to keep her grounded. 

I am so very sad that this happened to Monica. Please let her know my thoughts and prayers are with her and especially for the missing fur baby. There are so many fires around here. My prayers go out to everyone. 

• Like 1

I was wondering about the gas issue, too. Many of the burned out remnants look as if the house exploded, although the scattering of debris may in part be due to the heavy winds, It's hard to tell from photos.

I can't say for certain, but it's likely.  There is a lot of natural gas use in California, although I think there is a plan to phase it out in the future.  After the '89 earthquake, a lot of the fires were caused by natural gas igniting.  

I am just reading about what Monica is going through.  I feel just sick.  And her poor sweet cat.  All the animals, its just unimaginable.  Send her a hug for me and I will definitely help her when things get settled.  Please keep us updated.  Thank you 

• Like 1

The street trees may still be standing, but I bet they are dead. The heat from these fires is almost unimaginable. I think I heard something like 1500° and that's hot enough to melt a lot of stuff, including steel. What happens when a wildfire approaches houses is the heat can be so intense that it shatters the windows before the flames even arrive. Then the wind drives embers into the broken windows, ventilation shafts for dryers, and under doors, eaves, and overhangs which starts the fire indoors first.

7 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

One news article I read had a person saying, "you could tell when it hit a house, because the propane tanks would blow". So I guess a lot of the houses do have gas.

Those would be the people on the outskirts of a neighborhood. Most new developments won't have large propane tanks in the yard, but out on the outskirts, a lot of people do. I lived right across the dock at Calero Reservoir, not too far out of San Jose, and I had a large propane tank outside. Those propane tanks wouldn't be inside, so maybe that person is referring to something like a gas heater or a water heater powered by gas. The other things that blow in a fire are transformers and those make a huge bang. It's always possible someone is mistaking a transformer for a propane tank. I know when a propane tank blew up in Port Orchard a while back, it broke windows in houses two miles away. You don't mistake that for anything else and one going off in every yard would be indescribable.

• Like 1

I was referring to city provided natural gas lines.

The window explanation makes sense. I looked at Google Earth at street level and a number of the homes had concrete tile roofs, so the roofs wouldn't have been the first thing to catch fire. 

I just saw this for the first time and like everyone else I am gutted by what has happened.

Please pass on my prayers, and yes of course count me in when we start helping her with building up her minaturesagain , it is such a little thing for us to do I wish I could do more.

I have not looked at the links that are posted. the descriptions of the animals was enough for me..maybe  there is a fund for them somewhere too

I am so dreadfully sorry to hear about all this

• Like 1

The pictures of found animals looking for owners is truly heartbreaking. 

I did read an article about the African safari animals I had mentioned. There are giraffes, cheetahs, etc. All were saved thanks to the owners and employees of Safari West who protected them with hoses while their own home on the property burned. It's an interesting article if anyone wants to read it google Safari West fire.