Seeking Advice on building a Dura Craft Farmhouse 500

Tina Bird

Hello everyone out there...Im kind of new to this site but was told this is the best to go to for help and advice. So here I am..lol.

A few months ago I got a great deal on a Dura Craft Farmhouse 500. Last night I finally put my big girl pants on and opened the box. I was overwhelmed and confused to say the least. Now some of you may already know this, but I did not. This kit does not come with walls ready to put up. So after a small meltdown, thinking that I was missing key components, I began reading the instruction book. All of a sudden things clicked and I was off and building. Just before sunrise this morning I finished assembling the last of seven walls.... and they look really good. Now I have so many questions about what order I need to work in to accomplish my dream doll house.

I have an electrical kit to wire the dollhouse, I want to put in flooring, wall tiles and wallpaper along with painting inside, outside and trims in and out. I know there are steps that should or could be done as the house is being built. Especially in the case of this house and the assembly process. ( Ive never seen one like this) 

So if anyone has any advice to share it would be greatly appreciated. 

Tina

Aha!  The little tongue & groove bits of milled plywood that make up the walls.  Do what I did not do (even though my first two kits were Dura-Crafts) and gently fill the "seams" of the wall interiors with spackling compound and san it when thoroughly dry to make the surfaces of those walls flat and smooth and even; when you start applying wallpaper you will thank yourself for doing that.  Follow the order in the instructions booklet.  You don't have to glue the walls into the longframe pieces at first, you can do a dry fit to see how it will go together & get a better idea of what will go where.  Will you be using tape wire or round wire?  Flooring came with both of my kits.  I now cut iron-on wood veneer into scale pieces for floor boards and iron them onto the kit floors after I have stained the wood to match the color I will use on the veneer once it's in place.

Thank you havanaholly for that tip! I was wondering what I could do to the inside of these walls. Genius idea. And the heads up that I can hold off on gluing the walls into the long frame relieved a lot of stress on how I am going to get things done! But with every idea I have more questions...lol.

First.....Last night I went ahead and painted the exterior walls. Should I go ahead and do the spackling compound on the interior walls and finish those next?

The next step in building is adding the gables and shingles, followed by floor and gable supports. Should I run the electric tapewire before gluing in all the supports ? And.... will putting supports, wallpaper and flooring over the tapewire interfere with the electric tape? Im actually using both, tapewiring the house and putting plugs into the wire so I have options when decorating.

Also the wallpaper and painting...should this be done before gluing all the walls into the supports?

Ahhhh....I feel like a mouse in a maze with no idea where to go first...lol

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Tina Bird said:

Thank you havanaholly for that tip! I was wondering what I could do to the inside of these walls. Genius idea. And the heads up that I can hold off on gluing the walls into the long frame relieved a lot of stress on how I am going to get things done! But with every idea I have more questions...lol.

First.....Last night I went ahead and painted the exterior walls. Should I go ahead and do the spackling compound on the interior walls and finish those next?

The next step in building is adding the gables and shingles, followed by floor and gable supports. Should I run the electric tapewire before gluing in all the supports ? And.... will putting supports, wallpaper and flooring over the tapewire interfere with the electric tape? Im actually using both, tapewiring the house and putting plugs into the wire so I have options when decorating.

Also the wallpaper and painting...should this be done before gluing all the walls into the supports?...

Sable covers her tape wire with clear tape before she puts anything over it.  You do whatever works for you.  I would test each step, like painting one exterior wall and then dry fit it to make sure it will keep sliding into those long frame pieces.  Do you have to make the windows  If so, remember that they have to go in as you install the walls, and you might have to shave or carve off some of the wood to make them fit properly.  I waited to paint until I had those pesky windows fit.  I would go ahead and treat the interior walls with the spackle and do a coat of primer on each side.

Someone else will have to help you with the electrics.  I build for me, and for me the lights don't add enough for me to fool with the expense and having to figure the logistics.

Archived