Amount Of Paperclay For Roof

I know many of you have used Creative Paperclay and the like to create various finishes on projects ( Tracy @Minis On The Edge and Karin @WyckedWood  off the top of my head).

I am going to attempt to use it as roofing for my Christmas cottage. The idea is to roll it out to about 1/8" thick and use a scalloped oval cookie cutter for the "tiles". The roof surface with dormers is about 514 sq in. The cookie cutter I have is about 1-1/2" w x 2" l. I estimate with overlap that I will need about 350 "cookies".  I have 4 lbs of Creative Paperclay so far. How much more would you estimate that I will need? Any pointers you can give will be appreciated very much! :thankyou:

I have no idea if you have enough or not, but thanks for posting because I'm interested to hear what the Paperclay Masters come up with.  I will say when I have used it I haven't had any issues with "new" layers sticking to ones that have already dried. I just spread a thin layer of glue where the layers touched. There were issues with some shrinkage that had to be repaired.

• Like 1

I made some once. I was not happy with it. It became more of a ply able plastic than clay. Real paper clay does shrink so your cut sizes will not be the same after it has dried.

This bag required two packages of paper clay, approx 236 sq. In. 1/4" thick.

IMG_3797.JPG

• Like 1

I would experiment with the thickness, 1/8" might be too thick but with the mentioned shrinkage might be ok. A roof tile is usually more than half of that, about 2mm.

However, the 1/8" thickness would look like a snow covered roof.

I'll try to help but that's a lot of math for me to wrap my head around ;-) First thing I'd suggest is painting the roof (before you put the cookies on) in the same colors that the cookies will be.  For regular rectangular roof tiles on a medium size roof, if I'm remembering right, it usually takes 2 to 3 packs of clay. There is some shrinkage but it's not substantial. Any shrinkage is solved by just making little worms of clay and filling in any large gaps using a clay sculpting tool to shape the new clay over the old. I use the wooden set of sculpting tools. 

I use DAS brand not paperclay brand. It's less expensive and more dense than paperclay. I have houses (for years) that I've moved around all over and the only issue is on corners, if the clay tiles were too long they'll sometimes break off half way if they get bumped. Too thin and they're more breakable as well. It really doesn't happen very often tho, I put them on all of my houses and have had to repair maybe 5 roof tiles total.  

Apply with wood glue or Aleenes. When it gets dusty clean with a paintbrush.  

Cool idea the only thing I'm wondering is if maybe the cookie cutter was smaller it might be better, but definitely will be worth a try the way you have it planned. I'm assuming you will cut the shapes out and let them cure completely overnight before applying? If so I just wouldn't paint the backsides before applying, that might hurt adhesion. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I am wondering if you buy paper clay or make it, I saw an article on making it when I looked it up to see what it was exactly.

I also saw some videos and it looks interesting. I may try it someday just for fun. Since this is new to me, and I am trying for a Thanksgiving finish line, I am just planning on using the pre-made stuff. If I do try to make my own in the future, I will definitely report the experience here! :drool:

2 hours ago, Sable said:

I made some once. I was not happy with it. It became more of a ply able plastic than clay. Real paper clay does shrink so your cut sizes will not be the same after it has dried.

This bag required two packages of paper clay, approx 236 sq. In. 1/4" thick.

IMG_3797.JPG

Wow! It's awesome! Shrinkage is a good thing to take into account - thanks Sable!

1 hour ago, Sable said:

I would experiment with the thickness, 1/8" might be too thick but with the mentioned shrinkage might be ok. A roof tile is usually more than half of that, about 2mm.

However, the 1/8" thickness would look like a snow covered roof.

I will definitely lay some on the roof before I decide on a final thickness. We all know that what makes sense on paper doesn't always translate when you're looking at something with the mini eye! 

I am leaning toward painting them white and adorning with candy type strategically placed adornments. I have resin gumdrops and peppermint swirls and some tiny pearl red cabs, so far...

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

If you make plain old papiermache and make your roof tiles from it, would that work for you?

I bet the concept would work. I haven't worked with the stuff since elementary school, so it would take some legitimate experimentation! I wonder how thick and durable it would be?

9 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

I know many of you have used Creative Paperclay and the like to create various finishes on projects ( Tracy @Minis On The Edge and Karin @WyckedWood  off the top of my head).

I am going to attempt to use it as roofing for my Christmas cottage. The idea is to roll it out to about 1/8" thick and use a scalloped oval cookie cutter for the "tiles". The roof surface with dormers is about 514 sq in. The cookie cutter I have is about 1-1/2" w x 2" l. I estimate with overlap that I will need about 350 "cookies".  I have 4 lbs of Creative Paperclay so far. How much more would you estimate that I will need? Any pointers you can give will be appreciated very much! :thankyou:

Jodi, Karin has given good advice. I must say, how much you need depends greatly on the thickness of the clay and how close you line the shingles up to each other. Using Das clay, I used only half a pack for the entire roof on a buttcup but on a Storybook cottage, I almost used an entire pack of Das. I think it’s thinkness and closeness of the shingles that determines how much. I can’t wait to see your house! :) 1/8” thick will keep the shingles from being too thin and splitting. Especially while learning to work with the clays! Have fun and experiment! Practice makes perfect! :ohyeah:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

I'll try to help but that's a lot of math for me to wrap my head around ;-) First thing I'd suggest is painting the roof (before you put the cookies on) in the same colors that the cookies will be.  For regular rectangular roof tiles on a medium size roof, if I'm remembering right, it usually takes 2 to 3 packs of clay. There is some shrinkage but it's not substantial. Any shrinkage is solved by just making little worms of clay and filling in any large gaps using a clay sculpting tool to shape the new clay over the old. I use the wooden set of sculpting tools. 

I use DAS brand not paperclay brand. It's less expensive and more dense than paperclay. I have houses (for years) that I've moved around all over and the only issue is on corners, if the clay tiles were too long they'll sometimes break off half way if they get bumped. Too thin and they're more breakable as well. It really doesn't happen very often tho, I put them on all of my houses and have had to repair maybe 5 roof tiles total.  

Apply with wood glue or Aleenes. When it gets dusty clean with a paintbrush.  

Cool idea the only thing I'm wondering is if maybe the cookie cutter was smaller it might be better, but definitely will be worth a try the way you have it planned. I'm assuming you will cut the shapes out and let them cure completely overnight before applying? If so I just wouldn't paint the backsides before applying, that might hurt adhesion. 

Maths? Me too! Especially since I was doing the figuring during an episode of insomnia! I better recalculate today! I am thinking I better have another couple packs on hand, and maybe have enough left over to create cookie gingerbread people and trees for the landscaping...

Painting the roof is a great idea! I do have a set of metal and some plastic clay tools, so that is also good to know.

I will keep the DAS in mind for future projects - good to know it is denser!

What a relief to know that they hold up so well! This will probably get a fair bit of touching by the family during the holidays. A slight overhang is about as far as is safe to go, and thicker is better - check!

I was considering adding a top coat of clear glitter glue to the (probably) white cookies to give them some sparkle. This may also help to seal them and make for a stronger bond?

Yeah for wood glue or Aileen's! It will be nice not doing a roof in stinky (and expensive) Quik Grip!

Roger on the paint brushes for cleaning - I have a cheap set of make-up brushes I use for inside and outside cleanings that should fit the bill.

I will definitely play with the cookie size. I have the size I mentioned and three smaller in the Wilton cutter set. I am trying to scale it and make it look like a real gingerbread house, so slightly oversized than 1/12th. I will post up some pics once I get started.

I am thinking I should plan on a total cookie factory, and expect it to take several days between rolling, cutting transferring onto waxed paper and drying. And filling cracks! Then I can start by painting the first batches as they are dry. 

I sure hope this works out! I've been dreaming this up in my head for so long now! Thanks so much Karin for all the helpful advice and tips! :D

3 minutes ago, Minis On The Edge said:

Jodi, Karin has given good advice. I must say, how much you need depends greatly on the thickness of the clay and how close you line the shingles up to each other. Using Das clay, I used only half a pack for the entire roof on a buttcup but on a Storybook cottage, I almost used an entire pack of Das. I think it’s thinkness and closeness of the shingles that determines how much. I can’t wait to see your house! :) 1/8” thick will keep the shingles from being too thin and splitting. Especially while learning to work with the clays! Have fun and experiment! Practice makes perfect! :ohyeah:

Thanks Tracy! Good and helpful information!

That's what I thought you were using, the Columbian, I'll be anxious to see how it works out. I have a kit that I've always wanted to make into a hansel and gretel witches house, this might be a good technique for something like that. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

That's what I thought you were using, the Columbian, I'll be anxious to see how it works out. I have a kit that I've always wanted to make into a hansel and gretel witches house, this might be a good technique for something like that. 

Yes it would be the perfect structure! I love your idea! The rooms are pretty small, but you always do BIG things with small spaces! 

Well thanks but I was actually thinking of the Coventry cottage but I really don't like the top floor. That's why I haven't gone fw with the project, still not sure which kit to use. 

I read on the paperclay package once that volcanic ash was one of the ingredients...thought that was interesting :) 

31 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

Well thanks but I was actually thinking of the Coventry cottage but I really don't like the top floor. That's why I haven't gone fw with the project, still not sure which kit to use. 

I read on the paperclay package once that volcanic ash was one of the ingredients...thought that was interesting :) 

So I wonder if you could cut your own 1/8" replacement floor, and use 1/2" x 1/2" "beams" secured to the other three walls (at whatever height you like) running all along the front and sides of the structure? I know they sell 12" x 24" x 1/8" plywood, and you could cut it yourself with a box knife. Something to consider for the Coventry...

Ha! I wonder if they get the ash from right here where I live, at the convergence of three volcanoes!

I don't know where they get the ash, but I've always wondered lol :) 

I was thinking of some kind of open beam ceiling for the Coventry! My gingerbread inspiration house is from the enchanted forest in Salem Oregon...I grew up visiting there as often as possible, so cool 

5 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

I don't know where they get the ash, but I've always wondered lol :) 

I was thinking of some kind of open beam ceiling for the Coventry! My gingerbread inspiration house is from the enchanted forest in Salem Oregon...I grew up visiting there as often as possible, so cool 

I just watched a video of your Enchanted Forest! That's so cool! We used to have something similar here, in Tacoma at Point Defiance, called Never Never Land. I really think that place influenced my love for miniatures! Here's a link to a video. Warning: The music is annoting! 

• Like 1

Cool, and ours influenced me too! Definitely! Have you ever looked up pictures of the old abandoned santas village road side attractions? There were several throughout the country. It's sad to see them empty and abandoned, I'm so glad that has never happened to the Enchanted Forest, it opened in the 60s I think and it's still going strong :) 

• Like 1