Museum Wax/Putty.. Which one?

I'm looking to get some museum wax or putty or some such product to hold down my mini accessories but I don't know which one to buy. It's rather expensive over here so I want to make sure I get the best one. 

Can anyone with experience of these products make some suggestions. I would like one that doesn't stain/leave a residue if possible. And that has good holding power.. I can be a bit of a bull in a china shop at the best of times so the stronger the better. :D 

I would avoid anything waxy. No matter what they advertise, wax will leave a residue.

I think it is Holly who uses poster putty. I've not used it in miniatures, but I did clean up a room after our teenager who used what seemed to be at least 3 pounds of the stuff to stick posters and photos all over her walls. It did not leave a residue.

44 minutes ago, KathieB said:

I would avoid anything waxy. No matter what they advertise, wax will leave a residue.

I think it is Holly who uses poster putty. I've not used it in miniatures, but I did clean up a room after our teenager who used what seemed to be at least 3 pounds of the stuff to stick posters and photos all over her walls. It did not leave a residue.

Is poster putty the same as blue tac? That's what we have over here. I think you can get it in white now as well but I'm pretty sure it leaves a residue, at least it used to. Plus I would prefer something clear if possible. I don't really want to be able to see it through my glass items.

I'll look into it though, maybe it has improved over the years. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

3 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Tacky Wax or Minihold they are museum wax, specifically for holding down dollhouse bits , maybe check these two out. I have used them to hold dolls eyes in sockets while I put the compound behind them that dries hard.

Thank Jeannine, I've looked up these brands and Tacky Wax is available in Australia, Minihold is not. I'll look into them, do you recall if it left a residue, like a waxy/oily stain?

This has been discussed before:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=25032

I'm not sure how this ended up. I don't think I used any kind of solvent but just rubbed the area with a soft cloth (think old t shirt) until most of the oily residue was removed. The E6000 that I used to glue the bits in place held well, despite the thin oil slick that remained behind.

This holly uses poster putty, you cn see little bits of white showing beneath the bar stools in the pub:

KathieB's views:  the bar

It left a wee chalky residue behind when I switched out a wall decoration on a wallpapered wall, but as I stuck something else in its place, no harm; and that residue was after years of being there.  I can't tell you the brand, as it's out in the workshop; but it comes in a plastic packet and is about 1" wide and a couple of inches long and is scored crosswise ^^^^^ so you can break it into manageable hunks.  As I a\only use tiny bits I just pinch it off the packet.  You knead it to soften.  As you see in the photo, I couldn't use it to hold the shelf of crockery; I eventually used my E6000 on that puppy.

My preference is museum wax.  For me, it works much better than the putty. (I have used the white Quake Hold.)  Not only do you not see it, while you frequently do see bits of the white putty showing, it seems to have a stronger hold.  I've also found that the putty seems to change consistency over time--it gets kind of shiny and gummy, and that's when it loses its grip.  (You can see, in the photo of my Fairfield dining room I posted in my half-scale lights thread, where the painting above the fireplace has slid down the wall and the putty has started oozing out.  I am going to switch to glue dots for that picture.)  If anything, the wax seems to get harder/stronger over time.  So far, I haven't had a problem with residue with the wax.  Not sure how it would do against wallpaper (it might leave a stain), but on hard surfaces, I've found that all I have to do is "polish" it off with a soft cloth.

I've used both......museum wax and poster putty. The museum wax......cup in a saucer....clear glass on wood table......to clean I'll use a soft dry cloth to wipe off. The poster putty.....table to the floor....light weight thing to the wall. I use the putty all the time. When I'm looking to see if something looks good or not....... if something will fit or not fit. I use the putty more than the painters blue tape [ I need to see things without the big blue tape there].  I'll test to make sure it's not going to stain,and I try to use as little as possible with both. I would rather have a small stain...then glue something on and have to take it off !!

14 minutes ago, Sable said:

People donate room boxes to our club drowning in dust filled museum wax. Personally, I can't stand the stuff. Glue dots are my preference. 

I will try Glue dots.  I really hate museum wax because it gets everywhere.  Do the glue dots work well on glassware too?

I like wax. The one in the red tub.  I use it for holding little accessories to furniture. I haven't experienced residue issues - but I use very little it it. A little goes a long way. I also avoid using a lot of it on wallpaper - but the walls I have used it on have been spot-free so far. Reutter Porcelain uses Glue dots and I find it hard to get the dot off the item later. I find putty too thick and the white is very noticeable. But I keep going back to wax. That's just me.

I use wax  just to keep little things in their place - so when my giant arm goes into the house, I don't knock over a chessboard or flower arrangement and ruin everything all over again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elsbeth said:

I use wax  just to keep little things in their place - so when my giant arm goes into the house, I don't knock over a chessboard or flower arrangement and ruin everything all over again.

Yep.  And a little really does go a long way.  You can use it very sparingly and get good results.

Just now, pgwyn said:

Are glue dots the foamy circles that come with Reutter?  I can never get them off either. 

No.  They're usually clear and are actual dots.  You can get them in various sizes and you can also get ultra-thin.  Look in the scrapbooking section of your local hobby store.

4 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

No.  They're usually clear and are actual dots.  You can get them in various sizes and you can also get ultra-thin.  Look in the scrapbooking section of your local hobby store.

I like the look of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bostik-Sticky-Glue-Dots-Removable/dp/B004009XMW

I don't know what Reutter uses, but I'd steer clear of the super grippy stuff. I guess they can't have porcelain rattling around, but I have the hardest time removing their dots.

Good information here ladies, thank you!.. I don't like the idea of dust laden wax but I'm still leaning towards it used sparingly... but I'm definitely checking out those removable glue dots.. they may be the answer! :) 

59 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Good information here ladies, thank you!.. I don't like the idea of dust laden wax but I'm still leaning towards it used sparingly... but I'm definitely checking out those removable glue dots.. they may be the answer! :) 

The glue dots can be a little tricky to handle. Apply them directly from the attached ribbon. If you handle them too much they ball up and are useless.

Just to throw another idea out there... Fran Casselman from HBS read a post on my blog asking if folks glue their minis in place. She sent me an email saying that she uses rubber cement. The same old stuff we used to use in school. Apparently it sticks things securely but comes off when you want it to like the gummy stuff that holds things in packaging. I picked up a bottle of Elmer's, but can't report on it just yet. I am saving it for the New Orleans because that build has the good furniture that I am worried about ruining. If anyone else has tried it, let us know!

7 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

...the putty seems to change consistency over time--it gets kind of shiny and gummy, and that's when it loses its grip.  (You can see, in the photo of my Fairfield dining room I posted in my half-scale lights thread, where the painting above the fireplace has slid down the wall and the putty has started oozing out...

The putty I got at Wally World hasn't changed consistency over the years, and if I need to move something I just peel it off, knead it until it's soft and use it again.

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

The putty I got at Wally World hasn't changed consistency over the years, and if I need to move something I just peel it off, knead it until it's soft and use it again.

Holly, is Wally World a chain store I've never heard of, or another  name for Walmart?