HOWDEE FROM TEXAS THINK'N BOUT MAKIN A DOLLHOUSE

auntiedebbie

My current house is made from cabinet grade birch plywood. This material is the easiest to work with but the most expensive. They are usually boxy and don't offer a lot of design choices. My forever houses are birch plywood. My practice houses are not.

Yes the marble in the bath surround is backsplash tile from sheets from HD or Lowes. I use an electric Dremel with a diamond blade to cut my stone. I'm big on natural stone.  The roof tile is real slate from England. Expensive....$200 for 1000 tiles.

I build the structure before installing everything. This is the advantage to a boxy house with no nooks and crannies. My houses don't speak to me until the structure is built.

In the house I am building the kitchen, bathroom, bed, crib...from scratch. The countertop in kitchen is plexiglass the vanity to is paperclay.

I don't do dolls.

i am the president of our local chapter of NAME National Assic of Miniature Enthusiast so I get to play with other members once a month at our monthly meetings. What town are you in, I can see if there is a local chapter for you? 

• Like 1

havanaholly, wow, so what book would you recommend i start with?   i love your idea of making everthing while you wait on various stages of drying etc.   for example that I'm familiar with:  i love cook books.   but, you know some cookbooks give you great pictures and great directions and some are not worth the price. i spent alot of money on some not worth the price!    so.... would you recomend one book over another to start with?   for example;  i collected so many cookbooks but i found i only used one or two of them.   since this hobby is going to take a good chunk of money,   i would like to spend it wisely without waste as much as possible with your advice.    for my style of learning,  i need good pictures and good directions. its the pictures that teach me more and then good directions are always a must.  hope i explained enough for you to recommend one or two good books to start out with??? thankyou so much for all your support. do you have a link i guess thats what you call it to your creations and dollhouse? i would love to peek into your windows if you let me. im such a nosey neighbor! lol

sable, how nice a neighbor you are!  thank you for your kindness and generosity! i live in haltom city, texas 76117.  basically we are called the DFW Metroplex meaning dallas fort worth area. I'm closer to fort worth area than dallas. wow how awesome you get to play with other enthusiast once a month!  yall must have a blast!  its just my luck to see your house in the building stages and say to my self oh i love that roof or i love that foundation, only to find out its so pretty and appealing bc its expensive.  i can see myself doing a lot of what your doing. i shop (dream) at HD a lot so i know i could get quite a few things there.  i was wondering about the structure integrity using real tile on floors and the ultimate weight of the home once completed. do you have any advice? your taste in tile and products is exceptional, i only hope i can find something as beautiful. i have to do some research on cabinet grade birch plywood, are there any house kits that use cabinet grade plywood?  

havanaholly, those clothes are so cute on the dolls. your clearly talented and very sweet neighbor! we should get together for a coffee! lol

everyone is so nice! thankyou everybody for all your support and advice! 

Welcome, Debbie! I can tell you are ready for an epic mini adventure! We all become addicts who don't want to be cured! Can't wait to hear what kit you settle on! I've done every kind out there and always come back to Greenleaf kits. Having them be lightweight makes it so much easier to move and turn and manipulate during the building process. I also love the ease in making changes and improvements to it with no expensive tools. Gorilla Wood glue is awesome, a good cork backed steel ruler, a box cutter type knife, an Xacto that takes #11 blades, 250 - 400 grit sandpaper, gesso for sealing the wood, a little miter box and saw for cutting trims and such, toothpicks for glue spreading, masking tape to hold pieces together while glue dries and inexpensive paintbrushes in sizes from 1/8" to 1" wide are probably my most used essentials. Beyond that you just sort of accumulate as you go and expand your skills. There is nothing as wonderful as planning for, buying for and working on your creative endeavors! It's my drug of choice! :D

Happy mini-ing!

Jodi

• Like 1

Debbie, I love your enthusiasm :) You should be able to find a local dollhouse shop in your area. That would be a great help and something that a lot of us have to live without. 

Getting started you don't need much more than wood glue, masking tape to use as clamps, box cutter type utility knife and a pencil.  That will get your structure up. When you get to the more detailed parts like windows you'd want wood filler. I usually build part way and then stop and daydream about what I want the house to be, then figure out what to get for wallpapers etc. 

books....the problem is a lot of the books for our hobby are somewhat outdated. This hobby was very popular in the 80s and businesses thrived...then those businesses disappeared so a book might recommend supplies from a place that doesn't exist anymore...there really aren't any tell-all books. There is one called Everything You Wanted to Know About Dollhouses but Didn't Know Who to ask.....it's really more of a booklet, it would be available at your local dollhouse shop probably. There is more and better info on this forum than in any book that I'm aware of. I have a sizeable dollhouse library but honestly most were a waste of money. When you get into specifics like furniture making or sewing etc then there are some nice books, depending on what style you're looking for. 

Go on the Hobby Builders Supply website and request a free catalog. That catalog will show you a lot of what's available and prices you can expect. I use eBay for supplies to get the best price but if I had a local shop I would go there. 

• Like 1

I tend to get books that tell me how to make the things I want/ need.  In the General Mini Talk forum there's a pinned topic of book reviews:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=21471  The Guild of Master Craftsmen (a UK publisher) puts out a lot of terrific, helpful books.  

I used this one to make the dining table for the farmhouse:  https://www.amazon.com/Thirties-Forties-Miniatures-12-Scale/dp/B0064XCT4C

• Like 1

Real Good Toys sells plywood houses. Looks like it's poplar plywood instead of birch, now. But that's still ok. Look on EBay for my favorite, The House That Jack Built houses. This company is out of business but imo makes the best birch plywood houses. But there are sellers who charge way toooo much for these houses and some of them are way toooo large. 

If you are concerned about adding more weight to a structure, a few small finishing nails or even staples while glueing will give added strength to a tab and slot house and should last for generations. 

• Like 1

jodi, karin, holly, sable... wow! i was up all night (just one of many these last few weeks) surfing the net (I'm riding the high waves for sure and i dont know how to swim yet lol ),  eBay,  amazon,  etsy,  many dollhouse distributers, watching you tube videos,  every site you can imagine.  i probably changed my mind dozens of times to what house i want to build.  i was searching for houses that use cabinet grade materials as someone said thats all they buy.. i think i found one of the manufacturers LILLIE SOMETHING????  but they are out of all their houses except one or two and more in the price range of 200.00 plus. i did find out plywood houses verses MDF might be a better option in many ways but you have to have real house building skills and tools verses MDF easier to cut but can break easier and does not take nails,  is that what yall know?  so........ what does all that mean if i got it right? nothing, absolutely nothing if i to with a greenlleaf kit. i am so appreciative to all of you and jodi thankyou for your post especially after surfing all night on the net on so many sites. i'm accumulating more information and hopefully gaining some USEFUL knowledge,  but i was so grateful for your post telling me that you gravitate back to the greenleaf kits. after an exhausting night  that helps me so much.  jodi could i beg you for another gift of your wisdom and ask what are your favorite green leaf kits in the (around) 200.00  (give or take a few) price range? i started out with 50.00 idea and now I'm up to 200.00 plus.. yes i have the bug.. they have crept into my bed and head! (lap-top on my tummy all night with a side of carrots, apples and celery - a girls gotta have fuel for this journey)  oh no! i have bed bugs!  lol im sure my hubby would prefer me to keep the bug out of bed (espically with the munching of cruchies in his ear) but i just can't. I'm totally, completely, 100% addicted and i dont want to go to a 12 step group to get over this addiction either!  do they have a 12 step group to help family members of the addicted??? my husband will need the name! 

jodi, and karin your post sharing the list of supplies is so very helpful!  thank you!  anyone wanna list things like this and suggest things please do!  give me your tips, tricks and as many details as you can dare to share!  i'm hungry for it all!  i treasure each of your post and advice.  after my all nighter (one of many) i was especially thrilled to wake up at 2pm did you get that two pm, to my email with all of your post to me... litlle ol me and yall care so much! i love the neighborhood! yall are the best neighbors and I'm ready to move in as soon as i can find my house and stop flip-flopping.  jodi i will look for your post telling me what your favorites are in the greenleaf kits, AND  if anyone has a favorite please let me know.   i do know, i want to do a larger kit for sure.  i do know,  i want true one inch scale. i do know,  i want my house to be multi-level,  i do know,  i want to do tiny details and add moving parts such as windows and doors.  last night i saw a you tube video where a uncle was making for a neice and he added working ceiling fans.... theres no end to our dreams and imagination is there?    if you can dream it, you can build it?  if i could get a loan on my house or do a reverse mortgage.  i MIGHT be able to make this dream house, lol,  no, even then i might need to pan-handle a little, ive never seen ol chubby grannies pan-handling in my area, wonder if i could make some house money?   lol, wow!  i've got to reign this addiction in a little and come back down to earth (look at my bank account will bring me back to reality - MAYBE lol,  i know im getting to the part where i just need to make a decision and start the build and enjoy the process. what? you mean im not having fun yet? i think im having a blast running this marathon! as one of you said EPIC ADVENTURE!  best of my life!   yall are so great! thank you so much! so if any one wants to share their favorite greenleaf kit - i think I'm gonna reign myself in as far as limiting my search to greenleaf kits and if any of you want to share your favortie house i would appreciate it.  i remember someone suggesting the laser cut kits would be a good starter too.. and i know greenleaf has laser cut kits if thats the direction i should go? again, yall are precious to me and each and everyone of you and your post are so important to me in this new EPIC ADVENTURE to use your words.... yall are the best neighbors! 

holly and karin, i forgot to mention your post about books... thank you, thank you, thank you!  i have so many polymer clay books and clay sculpter books and honestly i use none of them and they have been useless to me. so that was my hesitancy in buying books on the internet.   like you suggested,  going to a local dollhouse shop would be best(that is a very scary idea, i might not ever leave their shop if i have one in my area). i like to junk at salvation army, goodwill and they often have books too! so maybe i will happen on one or two. thanks for the information, it helps with the initial purchase. i figure before its all said and done im gonna be up around 500.00 and maybe some of that will afford me some left over materials to start the decorating part. what do yall think? thank you for mentioning the club and giving me the local link for clubs in my area. i have two i can go to within a 30 minute drive. cant wait! thaks so much! 

Favorite Greenleaf kit?  Oh. Lord!  That's like asking which one is my favorite child!  I haven't built them all, but I have enjoyed ach & every one I've built.  I do love my Glencroft pub and my Magnolia Florida Cracker house and my Fairfield Bar Harbor summer cottage.  I'm not crazy about my Washington 2.0 farmhouse because the rooms are so small.  I still have a Lily and  Garfield still in their boxes, and a 1:24 scale Arthur.  I used to have a Willowcrest in the box, but it never would tell me exactly  how it wanted to look, other than bigger than what it was, so I traded it for the Brimble's I've been picking at (having too much fun making things to stock it with).

• Like 2

Oh Debbie I can so relate to the "high" you're on! And the 12 step for families of addicts is called Al-Anon, but if you're lucky you have a husband like mine who is a co-dependent enabler so that you don't have to sneak money or hide what you buy! :D

Unlike your bravery, I tend to stick with the smaller sized kits. Mostly because I have so many ideas in so many themes and styles that to stick to just one would irritate me to no end. I am a conquer and move on kinda gal, and I get board pretty quickly. 3 to 4 months on a project is all I can muster before I have to move on the the next exciting adventure. I have a completed Greenleaf Asahi Teahouse kit, two actually that I "bashed" together and made into a modern vacation home, an almost completed Greenleaf Sugarplum soap shop, an almost completed Real Good Toys barn (3/8" MDf) which I also bashed the heck out of, a finished HBS garage kit (3/8" MDf) which is a bigfoot country store, A completed RGT Contemporary Ranch house (3/8" MDf) that is a marijuana dispensary and growing operation (don't ask, well ok. I don't smoke the stuff and never have, not that I am against but it just isn't my thing. We are very liberal here in WA and live and let live kind of folks. Dad has prostate cancer and I was fascinated when he made me his "caregiver" so I got to go in with him to get his RSO capsules from a dispensary), a work in progress Real Good Toys New Orleans (3/8" MDf) frou frou french thing (I think), and in progress Dura-Craft Columbian which is a Christmas house I hope to have completed by Thanksgiving, 2 chipboard flower shops with the structures built and nothing else, a Houseworks Street of Shops Bay Window kit (Starbucks) all complete except the exterior (which I am waiting to do until I finish the other two shop kits in the set, a scratch built potting shed, a couple secret cookbook projects (with kitchen scenes inside) completed, an HBS Creatin' Contest Backyard Bungalow (actually 2 bashed together)  Three Little Pigs build completed plus 7 others I've gifted or sold over the years. I have at least 12 more kits in the wings, and plan on getting the next 2 on "the table" right after the Christmas cottage is complete. The Greenleaf Storybook Cottage and Brimbles Mercantile, I think. Addicted? No question. Insane, most likely.

Since you want BIG, but are still new, I would steer you into something that won't lead you to being totally overwhelmed and so frustrated that you abandon the project altogether. I do not want to discourage you in any way, but I want you to be successful so that you can enjoy this passion for the rest of your life. In light of this, a good compromise might be the laser cut Tennyson. It is laser cut so the fit will be easier for you - no expanding tabs or sanding to fit. It is $149.95 with free shipping from Greenleaf. It has six rooms and so many architectural features that your niece will be smitten, Plus, it will be a nice size to play with, move about, and be budget friendly. If that style is too Victorian, the laser cut Rosedale might be a good second option. Also six rooms. It is $99.95 with free shipping.

If you are completely committed to a GIANT dollhouse, the Garfield is the way to go IMHO. It is on Amazon currently for $180.52 with free shipping for Prime members. 

I did the 3/8" MDF kits to start with because I was told they were better quality. While that is true, if you want to add a window, add a room, move a wall, add a doorway etc. you are going to need a scroll saw and some woodworking skills. If I had it to do over, I would have started with the 1/8" plywood kits until I had my sea legs. If you are going with Greenleaf, and it isn't a laser kit, just lovingly cut the pieces away from the sheet, get zen with sanding, and really, really enjoy the process. It is really the best therapy money can buy! Most importantly, don't freak out when you open the box and see all the parts. Don't freat out when the instructions have you totally confused by step 2. You work on a dollhouse like you eat an elephant... One bite at a time! 

• Like 1

jodi and holly, thank you for your responding, hubby said "can you chill on the typing soon" my lap top in bed on my tummy while he's watching football. he gets up at 3 am, to be at part time job on golf course for 2 hours per day,  he gets free play time... so tonight i gotta respect his needs, yes he is an enabler and loves this new adventure for me. besides i need the rest too if i can stop looking at jodi's blog. what a treat! no typing... just peeking and gawking and drooling! lol ... leaning towards the tennyson or garfield or tennyson or garfield..... lol thankyou for all your advice and help. your such great neighbors! 

jodi, holly thank you so much for all your detailed sharing. you cant know how special your post are for me. thank you!  and thank you everyone for posting. jodi, im sorry to hear about your dad having prostate cancer. i will keep him in my thoughts. its difficult to get the C-word diagnosis. i will be thinking of you as well my dear.  my husband surrived colon cancer, they operated and caught it in time! at the same time i got a small lymphoma tumor on my temple and they removed it. i only had to have 26 radiation treatments (a little lop-sided bald spot - lol ) which is a very small amount comparitivly speaking. we would tease with our doctors that we are the glow in the dark twins bc we had so many CAT  and  PET scans with drinking contrast and iv contrast... and of course the radiation on the head that affects the brain a little for sure.... can you tell???? lol   anyways,  i love your smaller builds with themes. thats a perfect idea and something i will probably do or have as a work in progress. i want to thank both of yall for everything... ive spent a good part of the day away from the lap-top watching the cow-boys lose and my husband get mad at them. hes a real sports fanatic. golf is his passion, then college football specifically university of texas the longhorns..   he would love it if i made little houses with his sports themes... i need to get the girl stuff out of my system first or work on both at same time like you do. i thank you for suggesting the tennyson and the garfield. im pretty sure im not going to do the garfield for my first kit.. i like that tennyson is laser cut so i might go with it...i love your blog and could not stop gawking and dreaming. im probably gonna be a peeping tom looking into your windows tonight for sure. lol  i have a very old lap mac lap top (it was my dad's - i lost my mom in sept 2012 and my dad in january 2013) i miss them so much, i will have to do a small themed house around them. holly do you have a place where i can see your stuff too? i would love to be a nosey neighbor and peek into your windows if im invited of course.  

You are so welcome and I am truly happy to offer any help I can.

Dad has the really slow growing kind so we just try all things to keep his PSA's as low as possible so we can keep him onery and around for a long time!

wow! Both of you surviving cancer together is wonderful and amazing! I bet both of you don't sweat the small stuff anymore!

Thanks for visiting the blog! I am glad to hear that you enjoy the madness! :drool: I love sharing the journey but mostly am grateful for having made so many like minded friends!

i too, have spent the day watching football (in between loads of laundry). My hubs is a lifelong since childhood Raiders fan, and he's had a rough couple weeks, poor guy. Growing up in Seattle, I am a Seahawks fan and am watching them now. We used to have colorful competition until the Rauders changed conferences a few tears back. Now we can support each other! 

Im so sorry to hear that you lost your parents. I don't even like to think about that, especially since they moved to Arizona in July.  A memory house is a wonderful idea! I can see it being an opportunity to share with the younger generations in the family the significance and stories behind the items in it. 

Have fun starting the planning and purchasing part of the build this week! That is always so much fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auntiedebbie said:

...holly do you have a place where i can see your stuff too? i would love to be a nosey neighbor and peek into your windows if im invited of course.  

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=core&module=members&controller=profile&id=8&tab=node_gallery_gallery

Also in the blogs section I have done sections of the Team Coventry Cottage, Team Arthur, Team McKinley, Team Magnolia, Team Orchid, Team Glencroft and Team Westville building blogs.

• Like 1

jodi, im so happy to hear that your dad's PSA is manageable and the cancer is slow growing, our neighbor had same cancer a couple years ago and he is alive and strong today and in remission!  going and blowing stronger than ever!   we watch him (we should be with him) walking on the golf course behind our house everyday and he is in mid 80's.  my hubby a cancer survivor still smokes (against medical advice) and sits out back by the pool to smoke.  i sit with him sometimes.  

wow holly, how will i ever see everything?  im new to forums and blogs... ive been on jodi's blog for hours the last two days.  i get lost on her blog, when you click on something it opens a new page and i cant figure out how to post anything to her.  i had to set up my old g-mail account, (i have 100's of emails to delete).  i use an old mac lap top on top of my tummy at night while my hubby sleeps. i forget sometimes and type to fast or loud and he starts to wrestle around. he listens to audio books all night long or i listen to him snore,  in between alien attacks or war between planets.  im thankful though, he used to listen to a live all night radio talk show called "coast to coast" hosted by art bell, his subjects we're the paranormal, weird science, government conspiracies,  i got night mares,  so we compromised and he listens to sci fy books and i tune out on my lap top or tv.  my style would be listening to "downtown abbey",    wouldnt it be great to have a downton abbey audio book? 5000 hours long.     i love that period drama, and would love to build downton abbey...just for me selfish me!  that would be an epic adventure for sure.    hubby is a chronic insomniac, and audio books help him a lot through out the night. we found a really good rx called "seroquel" to help him sleep.   with the seroquel,  its been better for him the last few years. i still have recurring night mares about a giant alien girraffe type dog that lives in my house and if im not careful he will wake up.  of course,  I'm not careful and he always wakes up then i wake up just before he gets me.   i dont mind really hubby is a wonderful man!     gosh! he puts up with me (ha ha ha) and he encourages me in so many ways, he is on board and excited for me to start my epic journey with building dollhouses.  just, this weekend, we have had conversations about how he is going to have to help me cut a board or help me carry something... he smiles and is ready.  he's not a wood worker or anything but he is willing. today i told him i wanted him to take me to home depot so i can check out different materials and see and touch and feel stuff for my furture house.  he's ready when i am.  i could not ask for more.  im afraid to ask him to go to hobby lobby or joanns fabrics and crafts.  those stores are near me and they carry some stuff (i see it online), enough for me to go crazy!  I'm going to set my craft table up in our sun/family room.   hubby, will be watching sports, and i will be drilling, sanding, cutting, generally making a lot of racket.   he said he does not mind and is excited for me.   that brings to mind the sanding of wood and the small sawing and cutting of wood,  do y'all do that outside or in a garage?    i want to do my crafts in the sun/family room (bc its big enough for me to have a nice size spot with all my roll around drawer/carts etc., that hold my tools and supplies) i want to feel like part of the family,  rather than stuck in a dark small spare room all by myself somewhere... i'd rather go back to painting bisque figurines at the dining room table.  i will be set up to do this all day or night when ever i want to do it for a long time.  i will incorporate it in my life style.  but, what do yall do? is there a large amount of saw dust or sanding dust that i need to take into consideration?     i have an electric handsander with a filter bag on it that catches alot of dust but i dont  think it will be used too much?  i see my self hand sanding most things.  any clean up tips?    im not fussy but i do like things to be ready for company - so to speak,  including baseboards.   after 14 wonderful years we just lost (i think it was their dog food) our two big dogs a week apart in august 2017,  they were 14, a german/austrailain sheppard mix and a lab/chow mix.   both rescues.   they shed everywhere.   bc my hubby has chronic insomnia, we black out the bedroom and keep the ceiling fan going 24-7, the thermostate on 69 in the heat of texas,  so he can sleep when ever he decides.  but..... a blacked out bedroom, with profusely, shedding long hair dogs,  means, one spring day,  you decide to open the windows to find out the black hair is all over the walls.  i dont have the stamina to clean like i use to... just two years ago, i was a mad demon (all my life) and cleaned for two days straight, all the time.  once i decided to clean, everything was perfect before i went to sleep.  i'm fatter now (need to lose about 60 pounds) and i have some health issues,  that have changed my life style, so cleaning can be a chore for me.    getting back to the sanding and cutting dust,  i can live with cleaning about once per week,  but I'm not the kind of person that is going to scrub, dust, wash, vaccuum for hours everyday.  im casual but i like things to be decent enough for company. clean enough they would not mind drinking a cup of coffee or eating a peice of cake at my house.   have you been places where its so dirty or messy your afraid to put your purse down much less drink out of a glass?  i did some temp work for easter seals a few years ago.  i visited my clients in their  homes, gosh,  it was so, so very sad.  they were the poorest of the poor.  they at least had a home,   but the conditions were below healthy standards,  to include german c*** roaches running accross a childs plate while they ate.  that will be a memory i wont re-create in my room boxes. a memory that keeps me grateful for what i do have.   i said all that,  to ask about wood dust - how do you deal it?   we just installed 12 windows of  2inch faux wood blinds in oak color, in the sunroom..... is the sanding going to cause so much dust it will float on the blinds and walls and all over the furniture  ALL the time?  or will it be like a normal weekly dusting and cleaning or will there be an extreme amount of extra dust on a daily basis? how do you deal with it?  when i was doing my clay crafts utsing the dremel tool alot i would stay up at night and dream about making a big enough enclosed closet type space where i could take my project in there and do my sanding and come out to do the other stuff.... ive relaxed alot since then.  but i dont want to have so much of an issue that it lays on the floor and we track it throughout the house.  my hubby does grounds maintenance on a golf course so he can have free play time.  but he comes home full of dust, grass clippings stuck to his socks and jeans. he's not a picky as me and like i said i have relaxed but i see it through the house.  its not really bad but i was raised by a mother that you could eat off her floors any day or time. i drove myself and my hubby crazy.  so clean is important to me but i can live with deep cleaning once per week or even two weeks if i choose.  im not as driven as i used to be and believe me that cleaning demon came between our marriage. it drove me crazy too!   like you said jodi.. you learn not to sweat the small stuff.... i am still learning that!  everyday i get to practice not looking at my baseboards or into the crevices and crannies of my home - i still look but i tell myself its ok today if there is a little dust on the glass table or a little spill of coffee on the counter.. my mother taught me to clean from the top of the ceiling to the baseboards. nothing was left undone. we washed walls and door ways in our weekly cleaning.  she was a driven woman and it caused alot of friction and flack between her and her family.   she needed the perfection so much that she did not have family visits or impromtu's.  everything was organized and planned and throughly cleaned before and after every family function.  she drove her self and my dad crazy.  one of my neices changed the baby's diaper on her sofa and my mom about had a fit.  she said did you see that, stephanie did not lay a blanket down or anything and she changed the baby's diaper on my couch (it was the living room couch no-body sat on)... i have the same sofa, it looks brand new! i put it in my sun room for me to enjoy last month - i was driven to put a cover on it,  to protect it from everyday living.. at least i did not put plastic on it..... lol lol remember those days?   i would give anything to hear her complain about her sofa again.   enjoy your family while you have them around, even the things that drive you batty.  life is too short!  just this year I'm beginning to feel more adjusted and getting adjusted to a new normal.

i guess I'm gonna have to look up all of holly's blogs and links she sent me and go more crazy..... i cant help myself!  thank you for the links. do you have any advice how to navigate around blogs? how do i post something. i tried and i was able to type but it never let me click the post button. i registered my email, and got on google and registered, i became a follwoer of jodi's blog and still confused how to use it. probably wont last long bc i cant stay away.

jodi your work has a quality and high standard to it only to describe it as perfection! i was shocked and very intimidated wondering if i could possibly match your kind of skill. of course thats not going to stop me but i did think twice. i wondered if i had gotten myself into something i could not do. i really questioned myself comparing my past creative projects to the standard and qualtiy of work you do. i told myself you have many many years on me and i now have someone i can talk to to ask how can i achieve that perfection throughout my journey. i expect mistakes but i dont want to accept less than perfection. i will re-do something over and over until its right to my eye or i just have to move on to another step. put it on the shelf so to speak and come back to it... i love your attention to the details and creativity you  have. you were given a double dose of talent when you were born thats for sure.  you should be rolling in the dough with your artistic ability and craft quality.   i admire everything you have done and,  i love your tips and tricks along the way section... very helpful!!!!! keep that coming. 

i get paid on the 3rd so i might make that my decision day,  maybe hubby will take me shopping to see some stuff in person before then.  he hates to shop and not buy something and im am the kind of (all day - touch everything)  window shopper (stop for coffee -people watch), I'm   very happy coming out with ideas to create what ive just seen.  i try to be frugal with the little money i have, so i like to be creative. when i was young i had a barbi doll, midge doll, a ken doll and a tuti doll. my friends parents had money they had the houses, the cars, the furniture and everything barbi line made. i envied them but my parents did not have that kind of money (we were a young poor military family of three children - two boys and guess whos the baby girl and the baby of the family)???  i made everything out of anything and everything i could get my hands on, paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, coffee cans, vegetable cans, material, tape, glue, paint.  i saw a new object in every peice of trash my mother threw away.  i was very happy with my creations, i had to be.   today, i was throwing away a heavy duty white plastic oval shaped container and it told me "i could be a minature sunken bathtub"!  how fun!   its exciting to say the least!   i probably need to do some window shopping before i decide on my house. i might find some tools and supplies in my craft stores and home depot.  i'll have to look back at your list and write down what i need to start. I'm sure as with any craft,  buying the right tools and better tools and supplies is a never ending fun, task as well.   and, that, always never-endng, trying to organize them!   getting my work station set up is going to be part of the fun too!  i ask my hubby if, i ordered a large double closet from home depot,  if,  he would put it together for me, and he kinda frowned on the one i could afford but said he would.  i want to be able to close the doors on some of stuff because i really need my stuff........ what are your work stations or craft rooms like?  ok, well its 3:00 am - hubby is in full snore, im going to close for now and wish that you wake up happy, full of energy and strength for what ever your day has waiting for you! yall are sweat hearts and the very best neighbors.  jodi, i love that you sign your blog xoxo,  your such a dear! it would be neat to see yall at a convention if there is ever one that we all go to....

• Like 1

Debbie, there is a section of the forum for Chit Chat devoted to non-dollhouse topics. 

As for sawdust, your hand sander with the sawdust catcher will work well for sanding large flat pieces, such as walls and floors. For sanding smaller pieces, sanding sponges or regular sandpaper work well, For intricate trims, etc., a batch of emery boards from the dollar store are useful. Split them lengthwise for even more delicate areas. 

As for the amount of sawdust, I find that a hand brush and dustpan are fine for keeping the work surface clean. A hand vacuum is helpful but not necessary. If you put down a towel and sand over it, it will catch a lot of sawdust and can be shaken outside. There isn't a lot of dust flying around. 

As for tools & supplies to get started building, you can begin with the basics and add as the need arises. You'll find that much of the tools and supplies you have on hand will work well. For starters (thinking of a Greenleaf die-cut, tab and slot kit), here are some basics:

• A utility knife/boxcutter with plenty of extra blades, useful for easing parts out of the plywood sheet if they stick and trimming down the tabs to get a perfect fit..
  • Sandpaper/emery boards for sanding.
  • Wood glue (or a white glue, like Aileen's Tacky Glue or Elmer's --  not Elmer's school glue) The instructions may say to use hot glue for construction, but don't. The composition of hot glue has changed and it will eventually loosen and cause your house to collapse. Hot glue can be useful to hold a piece in place as the wood glue dries, but clamps and/or tape can do the same job.
  • Clamps of various kinds. Even the clip kind found in the grocery store are useful. 
  • Tape. Masking tape or painter's tape to hold pieces in place as you dry fit the pieces and later, as the glue dries.

You may want to stain the floors and door & window trims. It's easier to do it before assembly. You may also want to prime the walls and ceiling before assembly, again because it's easier. Just be sure not to prime any areas that are to be stained. You can paint over stain, but you can't stain over paint. 

• Stain. Small can of Minwax or similar. Also, there are stain pens with felt tips that are useful for staining smaller pieces. A small piece of an old t-shirt folded into a pad is good for applying stain to larger areas, like floors. 
  • Sealer. Small can of polyacrylic to finish off the stained parts. I prefer satin finish. A glossy surface tends to show up any irregularities in the surface. Satin finish is more to scale.
  • Primer. Any kind of latex (water soluble) household paint. Use up leftovers if you have any. The primer servers as a barrier between the naturally occurring chemicals in the wood and the wall or ceiling covering. Without this barrier, the wallpaper will eventually develop brown spots.

Beyond this you get into decorative finishes -- paint or wallpaper.

• Paint. Leftover house paint. House paint sample colors are good. Even Walmart provides them. Craft acrylics are also good. Again, avoid glossy finishes if you're going for realism.
  • Wallpaper. Can be had from a number of on-line miniatures sources. Scrapbooking paper is also good. 

You see, there is no need for great amounts of tools or materials to get started. Personally, I use very few power tools, but I enjoy hand crafting the various bits that go into a house.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, auntiedebbie said:

The dust isn't too bad. I just try to clean up as I go so as not to let it get too overwhelming. What you'll experience with the laser kit will be perfectly manageable with a normal dusting and vacuuming.

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement about my projects. It is easy to become discouraged when you see how many amazingly talented miniaturists there are in our little community. Don't let it discourage you. We all share our successes and challenges so that we can maybe save the next guy from our misfortunes. If you are making minis there are lots of those! :O) Just let yourself love your process, your ideas, your victories. It is all a process of experimenting and learning as you go. This hobby branches off into so many diverse crafting skills, and you may find that you are naturally gifted with some, and not at all for others. Pursuit of perfection will drive you mad, so just love what you do and never get caught up in comparing your work to anyone else's. 

I will send you a PM with links to the tools and websites I think you'll find useful in getting started.

Big hug,

Jodi

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

This hobby branches off into so many diverse crafting skills, and you may find that you are naturally gifted with some, and not at all for others.

When I lived in Missouri, I was near a dear friend who also does miniatures. We worked on a couple of projects together, where we learned that I'm happiest doing the construction and she is happiest when decorating. We made a great team by pooling our strengths. :) 

• Like 3