Need inspiration, what ya cooking tonight

Thimble Hall

Lovely, crème caramel is a fave on mine and I don't usually eat desserts. The first one is interesting I will have to have a go at that one. I have made the middle one often but that one is new to me.. Whenever I think of caramel I always think of a croquenbouche., something I used to make for very special occasions, basically cream filled choux pastry stuck together round a tall cone with caramel. My cone is a bit higher than the picture but for those unfamiliar with this cake it helps a bit.

Dinner tonight by the way is very simple, Basic battered home made English style fish and chips

untitled.png

On 9/27/2017, 2:07:56, grazhina said:

I don't enjoy cooking. I've cooked over 14,000 dinners in my life and wish I didn't have to keep cooking more of them.

Today I'm making Salisbury steak because it's easy. I brown the ground beef patties, slide them onto a rectangular casserole dish and prepare 2 packages of McCormick Brown or Onion gravy. Then I just pour the gravy over the patties and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, covered with foil or uncovered depending on how I want the gravy to come out. That sauce comes out so GOOD. Mashed potatoes, lima beans and corn will complete the meal.

I'm with you - unless I get a craving for something specific, I could do without all the cooking. It just seems like soooo much work for 15 minutes of enjoyment, and once I have the house clean I don't see any point in messing it up again! :D

The Salisbury steaks do sound like my kind of simple, tho - so I am definitely going to give that a try! I'd probably make it with a Stouffers mac and cheese, cause the boys really love that stuff.

I've lost my enjoyment of cooking as well. There is little to no appreciation whether I made a pb&j or a 12 course banquet and cleaning up is such drudgery !!

My gardens are still producing but my preserving ambitions are slowing way down. I'm so tired of it and I still have the family favorite relish to make.

My wish is that the need to eat would become a "once and done" - for life - kind of activity.

• Like 1

We went grocery shopping this AM and Publix had a special on fresh salmon, so I got some.  I pan grilled it in a little olive oil and served it with a dill sauce and braised kale and potatoes.  It took a lot less time to cook it than to eat it!

I hate to cook and have two teenage boys at home so I have to cook for them and my husband. If it were just me I would rarely cook. I'm usually on a low carb diet and that makes for pretty boring meals...also means I have to make separate meals for kids and myself..no wonder I hate to cook..

I use the crockpot often and we have a traeger smoker that my husband cooks amazing things on and all day long you can smell the smoker...love that smell. 

I was just thinking about this last night...of the 5 or 6 senses that humans have, the sense of taste is one that I would be willing to give up and I would never have to diet again :) I actually get more enjoyment out of the smell of food than I do the taste.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Selkie said:

I've lost my enjoyment of cooking as well. There is little to no appreciation whether I made a pb&j or a 12 course banquet and cleaning up is such drudgery !!

Yeah, I rarely get a compliment on dinner. DS will now and then, DH, well, he gives me no clue if something was good or so-so.

Last night I made nachos for dinner. I make them 2 ways, the real simple version is I take some leftover ground beef taco filling out of the freezer, heat it up with some salsa, then place some tortilla chips on a plate, top with the taco filling and some cheese and microwave it till the cheese starts to melt a bit. I might pour some nacho flavored dip over it or maybe some more salsa. Top with lettuce, tomato and a dab of sour cream.

The other one takes a little more effort. It's a recipe I found on the Pioneer Woman site. That's the one I made last night for the second time.

I felt like having meat manicotti tonight, but didn't want to mess around with stuffing the manicotti, so I decided to make the meat filling into meatballs and top them with rigatoni, sauce & cheese. I sauteed some onion, garlic and minced mushrooms, then added them to the ground beef with some bread crumbs, salt, pepper & oregano and blended in a little beaten egg. I placed the meatballs on a layer of spaghetti sauce in the baking dish, then topped with rigatoni tossed in more sauce. Topped with cheese and put it in the oven.  I'm wondering if the meatballs will come apart or not. Doesn't really matter, it'll taste good anyway.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

I hate to cook and have two teenage boys at home so I have to cook for them and my husband. If it were just me I would rarely cook. I'm usually on a low carb diet and that makes for pretty boring meals...also means I have to make separate meals for kids and myself..no wonder I hate to cook..

Karin, DH has to be low carb, The nachos for dinner worked fine for him, he just had less tortilla chips and more of the other stuff. Taco salad is almost the same thing.

I am making chickpea-crepe-tacos-with-eggplant-and-lamb, I got out the ground lamb yesterday and cut up the eggplant from my garden so it will be quick to make.  I do love to cook, and cook all my own meals.  I did suspend that for quite a while after I lost my husband, existing on noodle soup and airpopped popcorn, but realized that I was getting run down after I got the flu for the first time in 10 years and went back to cooking good food.  I am a cookbook collector, when we used to travel I always found a cookbook to remember the place, and wrote the date and trip on the inside cover.  When I visit my nephew on Vinalhaven Island I do most of the cooking, they do the cleaning up lol, be nice to have someone at home follow me around and clean up, I hate housework!

Ah, another cookbook collector, good for you and your dinner sounds wonderful.

Compliments, well I get lots and lots on Saturdays when I cook for my homeless  crowd and that is enough for me. I don't entertain like I used to but do cook for the family now and again and they are appreciative too.

Tonight I have got small chicken stew in a casserole for me and the babies ,and will make dumplings for it with baby potatoes.

Tomorrow is my big cooking day and I shall cook 5 gallons of mushroom soup, 2 banana cream pies, 2 lemon meringues and 2 something else..maybe Banoffi, or maybe simply canned fruit set in Jello with cream on the top, they love that and it is so easy made the night before. It is a lesser week  for me this week as we have a church who comes in when there is a fifth Saturday and does most of the meal so I just supplement. I usually do a main meal  often  some meat with veggies,potatoes  gravy etc etc and a salad too but it varies depending on what I can find on sale .I cater the main meal for about 25 but the soup for  average 100.Then other folks bring meals too. We have fed as many as 156.

I should explain it is actually not just for the homeless although we do get many, it is a free community dinner so we have some low income seniors come,  a few families and some mentally ill folk who live alone.  They are a great crowd and I enjoy it very much.

I'm working my way through the refried beans I made a couple days ago. So tonight it's tostatas.

I made some macaroni and cheese in the crock pot a while back. The recipe called for evaporated milk and I found I really don't like the taste of that at all. However, I did freeze two servings and found that most of the "off" taste disappeared after I thawed and reheated them. Next time I'm going to just use milk and/or cream (or maybe half and half). I've been looking for a mac and cheese recipe to match Stouffer's frozen one and I think I finally found it and it's so simple, I can't stand it. Just noodles, milk, evaporated milk (which I'm going to take out next time), butter, and cheese. Throw it all in the crock pot and enjoy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I'm working my way through the refried beans I made a couple days ago. So tonight it's tostatas.

I made some macaroni and cheese in the crock pot a while back. The recipe called for evaporated milk and I found I really don't like the taste of that at all. However, I did freeze two servings and found that most of the "off" taste disappeared after I thawed and reheated them. Next time I'm going to just use milk and/or cream (or maybe half and half). I've been looking for a mac and cheese recipe to match Stouffer's frozen one and I think I finally found it and it's so simple, I can't stand it. Just noodles, milk, evaporated milk (which I'm going to take out next time), butter, and cheese. Throw it all in the crock pot and enjoy.

I need that recipe, Kelly! The hubs and son would LOVE homemade Stouffer's!  And I would love the crockpot cooking method!

My gram always used evap milk in her mashed potatoes and macaroni salad, so I have always, too. I like the richness it adds, so I might give it a try. I think before she was in trouble for her bad cholesterol she used to put it in her coffee, too.

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

We usually go out to eat on Fridays and the Pensacola Seafood Festival started today; one of the groups cooking is The Sons of Italy and they cook the most incredible shrimp scampi Napolitano I have ever put in my mouth!

Holly, I'm insanely jealous!

38 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

My gram always used evap milk .... I think before she was in trouble for her bad cholesterol she used to put it in her coffee, too.

Lloyd used to put sweetened condensed milk in his coffee. I never could acquire a taste for it, me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

Holly, I'm insanely jealous!

Lloyd used to put sweetened condensed milk in his coffee. I never could acquire a taste for it, me.

If coffee needs anything put in it it's probably not fit to drink, and the only thing I can stand to add to tea is lemon!  Kathie, if you're up for another road trip next month, we'd be delighted to host you and haul you with us to the Sons of Italy's Festa Italiana on the 20 or 21.

I'm stuffing bell peppers with ground turkey & rice tonight.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

If coffee needs anything put in it it's probably not fit to drink, and the only thing I can stand to add to tea is lemon!  Kathie, if you're up for another road trip next month, we'd be delighted to host you and haul you with us to the Sons of Italy's Festa Italiana on the 20 or 21.

I'm stuffing bell peppers with ground turkey & rice tonight.

Hmmm ... I enjoy café au lait and take my tea straight, with neither milk nor lemon. Different tastes is part of what makes food a complex and interesting subject.

No road trips in the near future, Holly. Too busy settling in and learning about my new stomping grounds, but thanks for the invitation.

Stuffed peppers sounds good. My new grocery store is Ingles, and believe it or not, they are even better than Rouses, except for fresh-caught seafood. Their salad bar has 17 -- count 'em: 17 -- kinds of olives, for example. And produce is beautifully fresh. <reaching for shopping list>

After an afternoon of reshelving a ton of books (and making an effort to group them by topic), I wasn't up to cooking. I tried the pizza place nearby and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the pie. Marco's Pizza. It seems to be a chain of at least a couple dozen carryout restaurants centered around Atlanta. Was going to save half the small pizza for tomorrow's lunch, but while I was watching some British comedies on tv, the second half called out from the refrigerator. Maybe stuffed peppers for lunch tomorrow. :D 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KathieB said:

After an afternoon of reshelving a ton of books (and making an effort to group them by topic), I wasn't up to cooking. I tried the pizza place nearby and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the pie. Marco's Pizza. It seems to be a chain of at least a couple dozen carryout restaurants centered around Atlanta. Was going to save half the small pizza for tomorrow's lunch, but while I was watching some British comedies on tv, the second half called out from the refrigerator. Maybe stuffed peppers for lunch tomorrow. :D 

I toasted a it of curry powder before adding the rice & veggies; made very yummy pepper stuffing.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2017, 4:08:06, rodentraiser said:

Those all look good, I make a Caramel custard, but the Caramel  is on the bottom, I like the idea of the custard itself being Caramel.  I will try that, and I always love caramel sauce!

Thanks for the links!