MY FAIRFIELD BUILD

JAX

Thank you guys. Green is my favourite colour, but generally for dollshouse I buy the little sample containers in the Hardware store. There are a lot of choices and because each container is only 4.75 ounces it does not go to waste. These 3 greens are Russian Sage, Woodsy Scent and Belle Grande. The differences are subtle but when you step back and look at the entire structure the subtlites become more pronounced.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind comments. Tracy I peeked into your blog and see that you have done a Lily kit. Now that I am ending my Fairfield I am considering the Lily as my next project. LOOKING at a kit on Ebay and the attic ceiling seems quite low, do you find? Do you know if any one has modiefied the height of the roof That is where my thoughts are heading.

Jax 

Yes. About 12 years or so ago I went to the miniature show in Seattle when it was over by the Space Needle and one of the houses there was a Lily with the roof raised. It was only raised about 3 or 4 inches, but it made a world of difference in the attic. I don't think the space could have been used for bedrooms or anything, but it surely didn't take away from the look of the house and actually made it look a lot better.

I think the way the ceiling was raised was simply that after the original curve of the walls, the wall height was just raised. And I believe the dormers were still on the roof as well. Besides the fact that the decorating job was just awesome, I thought the house looked so nice I considered getting a Lily myself and doing the same thing.

I wonder if the show keep records of the houses that were displayed. You might contact them and see if they would contact the owner of that house and maybe that person could send you some pictures.

• Like 3

Thanks Kelly, that is useful info. I am afraid I am one of those frustrated Architects always trying to change and enhance on a small scale. So every time I look at a kit my first thought is how I would do what to make it more functional or bigger (always want more space). I think that the attic could accommodate another full room and an open area and so increase the square footage.I think I should stop looking at that kit and buy it now.

Edited by JAX

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 1:12:41, JAX said:

Thanks Kelly, that is useful info. I am afraid I am one of those frustrated Architects always trying to change and enhance on a small scale. So every time I look at a kit my first thought is how I would do what to make it more functional or bigger (always want more space). I think that the attic could accommodate another full room and an open area and so increase the square footage.I think I should stop looking at that kit and buy it now.

You're welcome!

I'm the same way with houses. I never met one that I didn't want to bash. Maybe we're long lost sisters!:cheezy:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Love looking at your Fairfield build! I bought this Kit recently, but have been debating whether or not I want it to be my first Dollhouse. I've been considering a Laser Cut no as my first, instead.

Did you find the Fairfield to be especially difficult to build, may I ask?

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Drea, if you want to try laser cut in 1:24, the Lighthouse kit was my first foray into laser cut.  The down side is that it goes together so quickly & easily I didn't do any of my planned bashing!

I've been going back and forth between a Laser Cut Dollhouse and perhaps the RGT's Bungalow. Although I have yet to purchase it yet. It any Dollhouse except for my 1/144 Scale, which I have started, but not finished, and my Fairfield still in its box.