Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

34 minutes ago, 1martinimomma said:

Do you put items you want to bid on in your watch list so you can keep track of them?  

Sometimes.  Most recently, I was literally on the bus home from work when the auction ended, and the WiFi I was using wasn't very good.  I had set an upper limit on my bid for what I was willing to spend on the item, so I guess I shouldn't feel bad that someone got it who was willing to pay more than I was.  I don't bid on items very often.  I'm just not good at the timing.  :)

38 minutes ago, 1martinimomma said:

On ebay, you have to become the swooper and watch the auction closely until it's over if it's something you really want.  That's what I do when I bid and I really want something.  I set myself a limit and rarely go over it. (that's why I don't have that Granville I wanted and lost by $2)  If don't care one way or the other if I get item then I put in my bid, and 98% I don't get the item.  If you bid early, then when the auction is almost over, someone is going to swoop in a bid a $1 more than you and win.   Do you put items you want to bid on in your watch list so you can keep track of them?  

I agree I love the buy it now and make an offer so much better, but sometimes that not an option, just like how frustrating it is for local pickup only!

Local pick-up is for the birds!!! I can see why people do it with assembled houses, but new unopened kits??? The kits are packaged to be shipped by the manufacturer.

My biggest pet peeve has to be.....  bad, blurry, dark pictures on high priced items. It immediately turns me off .... Okay, rant over. eBay is the best thing for this addiction.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1martinimomma said:

I was looking at buying the Newport kit, but was concerned about the water stained box.  What do you all think about the condition of the box?

Well, I think your bonus wallpaper would probably be a loss but, I would just make a low ball offer and see what they say. Or you could email the seller and see if they were willing to open it to see if there is damage to the wood.

The cardboard doesn't look like it absorbed the spill. I recently bought the Bayberry, and it had spills on the box, but it didn't permeate to the inside. It's hard to tell, but I like what Sam suggested.

14 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Or you could email the seller and see if they were willing to open it to see if there is damage to the wood.

Thanks ladies, I just sent them an email so hopefully they will respond before someone buys it.  I have had that happen way to often, I put something in my watch list debating about buying it, and then boom, it's sold.  It's a good price considering it's free shipping!

5 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I hadn't heard of Cassidy Creations before for 1/2scale items. Looks nice!

5 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

My understanding is that Cassidy Creations sold its patterns and molds to the woman who owns Scale Designs. You can still find some Cassidy Creations kits on her site, but not sure if they are the originals.  I've put together two or three Cassidy Creations kits, and they were quite nice.

The Cassidy Creations kits are some of the best half scale stuff around! Back in the 80s and 90s, Cassidy Creations was Bauder Pine's kit line. Scale Designs has the rights to Cassidy Creations now and Bauder Pine is owned by someone else, and also puts out a few kits, but nothing as complex as the Cassidy Creations kits.

I have noticed some small differences between the old ones and the new ones, for example the old Cassidy Creations store counter had a top with a routed edge and the new one comes with two pieces of wood that you glue together to fake a routed edge. Also some of the newer ones have laser cut pieces. I think all of the ones on the Scale Designs website are the new versions -- hers tend to have the color photo on the front, and the old ones are black and white.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Samusa said:

Here's a RGT Newport kit with a make an offer button (love those

Got it for $185 and free shipping.  I think that is a decent price considering all others in the recent past sold around $200.  She did tell me the contents were wrapped in plastic so no moisture damage.  Go me!

I am buying houses so that when I retire and am on a limited budget I will have dollhouses to build and maybe sell, for no profit, but at least I will be a busy retiree.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Oregon Trail & Alpine

A couple of overpriced shipping costs as you were discussing in another thread.  Way too much for such small houses.  I see this all the time.  I wish ebay would crack down on these outrageous shipping prices.  The reason they do this is because they don't have to pay ebay commissions on the shipping costs only the selling price.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 1martinimomma said:

A couple of overpriced shipping costs as you were discussing in another thread.  Way too much for such small houses.  I see this all the time.  I wish ebay would crack down on these outrageous shipping prices.  The reason they do this is because they don't have to pay ebay commissions on the shipping costs only the selling price.

Ahhh.. I wondered what it was all about.. agree.. ebay should crack down.

I can't see the domestic shipping costs of items in the USA so I only know if the worldwide shipping is too much. Buyer beware on anything I post.. check the shipping price for your location first! :)

4 hours ago, Samusa said:

Bernie's is a quarter scale kit.

http://www.grandtline.com/miniatures/14-scale-project-kits/14-scale-fruit-belt-kits

Just now, Elsbeth said:

And a pre-made canopy:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DOLLHOUSE-MINIATURE-QUARTER-INCH-SCALE-HAND-CRAFTED-CANOPY-BED-/172716611900

I have one of these by this seller --adorable!!

7 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:
7 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

4 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

Sam here, no idea why this is posting me as Colleen... :rolleyes:  That's Apple is adorable! And that canopy bed! Amazing detail for such a small mini!

I hear you, Lawanda. All I can say is, it's a good thing Colleen got that Newport. I was so thinking about getting it and this is from someone who doesn't have room for the ones I already own.

I haven't visited Craig's List for a week and I'm going through dollhouse withdrawal.......it's painful, let me tell you.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I hear you, Lawanda. All I can say is, it's a good thing Colleen got that Newport. I was so thinking about getting it and this is from someone who doesn't have room for the ones I already own.

I haven't visited Craig's List for a week and I'm going through dollhouse withdrawal.......it's painful, let me tell you.

Well in the interest of enabling :D

There is this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/THE-NEWPORT-DOLLHOUSE-KIT-71K-Real-Good-Toys-NEW/262921148317?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

19 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

I actually had a survey from Ebay this week and I said that excessive shipping was the main hindrance to buying on Ebay. Also Etsy puts out all sorts of seller advice and information and has stated that high shipping is a major deterrant for customers.

• Like 1