Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

39 minutes ago, nolephan said:

I got the same kit for Christmas too! Not usually a fan of doing a kit as well, but it will be nice having all the decisions made for me. For once. I also like the fact that the pieces are wood, not plastic. 

I have one of those kits (Jason's Kitchen I think) and I love that it has everything all in one box. They are super cute kits. I want the bookstore kit, but afraid of all the pieces.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBOTIME-Bookstore-Dollhouse-Miniature-DIY-Kit-with-LED-Light-Creative-Gifts/264582502904

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolife-DIY-Dollhouse-Furniture-Miniature-Shop-House-Model-Toy-for-Teens-Adult/401771654666?hash=item5d8b74ee0a:g:0EQAAOSwGgdcixBG

i was looking at the kit contents, and found a paper printout to make a tiny book with pages. Last year, I made a miniature book using public domain photos from an old botanical book. The kit used photos from the same public domain book! Is my "original" book, which took hours to design, really better than just buying one in a kit?

Yup, love the bookstore!  

On 1/5/2020, 6:07:21, Elsbeth said:

I have one of those kits (Jason's Kitchen I think) and I love that it has everything all in one box. They are super cute kits. I want the bookstore kit, but afraid of all the pieces.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBOTIME-Bookstore-Dollhouse-Miniature-DIY-Kit-with-LED-Light-Creative-Gifts/264582502904

18 hours ago, Blue Morning Glory said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolife-DIY-Dollhouse-Furniture-Miniature-Shop-House-Model-Toy-for-Teens-Adult/401771654666?hash=item5d8b74ee0a:g:0EQAAOSwGgdcixBG

i was looking at the kit contents, and found a paper printout to make a tiny book with pages. Last year, I made a miniature book using public domain photos from an old botanical book. The kit used photos from the same public domain book! Is my "original" book, which took hours to design, really better than just buying one in a kit?

I think the answer is more complicated. I have had to really practice to get my handmade books to look right. I wasn't sure what paper to use because my binding often creases a little too much, I have to very carefully cut out the covers and pages with rulers and razor blades to get a properly sized page/cover, I have to use a laser printer because my inkjet is nice but not as detailed as the laser jet...So sometimes I really prefer the book i bought off Etsy for $5-$7 - it seems so perfect, and instant, and better than I could make. I also have purchased printablebook kits, but still struggle with the quality paper and printing part. I find I AM getting better the more I try to make books, tho. 

On the other hand, I have purchased some books that were definitely not as good as I could have made. So it's variable.

But recently I got a book for my mini haunted attic - it has a faux leather cover with a scaly texture and an eyelid with glass eye on the cover! It is so much better than I could ever have done - in fact I would never have thought to create such a fun thing - so it all depends really doesn't?

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

That's a great book. The eye is so realistic, kinda scary lol.

One of my favorite books I have is this little leather book that was originally a souvenir - it has accordion photo pages that come out, which are of famous waterfalls in Brazil. Simple easy design, although I haven't tried it. The books I've made have been very amateur, just printed book covers and stuff wrapped around blocks of balsa wood. I make a lot of magazines and newspapers though that are more realistic LOL.

Also ...(didn't want to double post in here) but there's another Hofco Americana on FB Marketplace for sale, have no idea what the seller is expecting. It's in Marietta GA. Gosh I really love that house. I'd have to put it right smack in the middle of my dining room though, I'm really running out of dollhouse space.

20200109_192813.jpg

20200109_192901.jpg

20200109_192928.jpg

EDIT: Wow the pics are small...sorry lol

81628742_3039766949374853_3478871038144544768_o.jpg

81587682_3039766962708185_2529904173076447232_o.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a link to the FB page.  Marietta is just 10 miles from me. <chanting to self: "You have no room. You have no room" alternating with "You have two major builds yet to finish. You have two major builds yet to finish.">  What's the emoji for frustrated? :ermm:

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Oh, Kathie, what that house could become in your hands!  And then you could donate it...

Against my better judgement, I sent a message asking if it is still available. <Thinking I'll need to live to at least 100 to whittle down the backlog of projects!>

Edit:  It is available. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KathieB said:

Against my better judgement, I sent a message asking if it is still available. <Thinking I'll need to live to at least 100 to whittle down the backlog of projects!>

Oh how exciting!   And I'm sure you can find a place for it...  right over...  there!  :cheezy:

2 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Oh how exciting!   And I'm sure you can find a place for it...  right over...  there!  :cheezy:

Ummm ... still haven't done anything with the Glencroft that you talked me into because it was so close to me ... it's taking up the space over there right now. :D 

56 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Ummm ... still haven't done anything with the Glencroft that you talked me into because it was so close to me ... it's taking up the space over there right now. :D 

Um...  that was my fault wasn't it?   Sorry?  Guess I'm a bad influence.

Well. Maybe this new house can go over *there* instead. <ducking and running this time>

I've stopped looking at craigslist, and I don't understand how that Facebook marketplace thing works, so I've stayed new house free for a bit.  Which is a good thing.   We bought a new vehicle this year, and all the houses hanging out in the garage had to be moved around, and I got some serious side-eye during that project.  And my dad's stuff has been hanging out taking up about quarter of my craft room for over a year now, while he's waiting on his property and house to be ready.  So I really am out of "over theres" for large houses at the moment.

Now Legos... Those are a different story.  I may or may not have started collecting the Lego Town buildings I've been resisting for years... 

Tracy, Legos are another primrose path.  Our youngest son builds working scifi models with his, so we are regularly bidding on odd lots on Tophatter and scouring thrift stores.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020, 5:22:20, Island-Shack said:

That's a great book. The eye is so realistic, kinda scary lol.

One of my favorite books I have is this little leather book that was originally a souvenir - it has accordion photo pages that come out, which are of famous waterfalls in Brazil. Simple easy design, although I haven't tried it. The books I've made have been very amateur, just printed book covers and stuff wrapped around blocks of balsa wood. I make a lot of magazines and newspapers though that are more realistic LOL.

Here's a book I put together from a printable kit  by Jean Day - really cute and easy. I love it when you can open a book and see pictures!

imgBook.jpg

47 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

Here's a book I put together from a printable kit  by Jean Day - really cute and easy. I love it when you can open a book and see pictures!

IMG-0413[1].jpg

But I'm not seeing a picture!

23 hours ago, havanaholly said:

But I'm not seeing a picture!

I wanted to put in a smaller pic, but I cannot figure out how to get it to work - when I try Greenleaf gives me a loading error...so not there's a pic that's HUUuuUUUUGE. Not easy to see how lovely it looks in 1:12, but there ya go.

On 1/10/2020, 9:47:42, KathieB said:

Edit:  It is available. 

I would soooo love to have that house...more than the other one I posted that was closer to me, because its already done and has that weird backyard deck going on. The post says $60 now. Did you get it??? Sorry to be an enabler HAHAHA.....I need to stay off marketplace/craigslist too I don't even NEED anymore right now nor do I have room! I have 2 huge Harrison's and an Alison Jr sitting here waiting to be rehabbed/finished.....taking up my dang space.

I couldn't see the book pic either :-(

1 minute ago, Island-Shack said:

I would soooo love to have that house...more than the other one I posted that was closer to me, because its already done and has that weird backyard deck going on. The post says $60 now. Did you get it??? Sorry to be an enabler HAHAHA.....I need to stay off marketplace/craigslist too I don't even NEED anymore right now nor do I have room! I have 2 huge Harrison's and an Alison Jr sitting here waiting to be rehabbed/finished.....taking up my dang space.

This forum is full of enablers! :D  I have not gotten it. I know I should not, yet ... 

16 hours ago, KathieB said:

I'm thinking to wait until next week and offer $50. 

You should offer $50 now and see what they say - if they say no, then it is decided - no more handwringing! lol!  

OH! one time I offered $65 for a $120 house (bargain no matter what but I didn't have room for it, so I told myself if I got it for $65 I'd make room for it) - well, seller never replied. I figured that was a no. But then 2 weeks later it appeared listed again - for $50!!!! I guess he never saw my email because I bought it for $50. Free delivery too. Bam!

So you never know - good luck!