Can anyone identify this dh?

Kari Lynn

Hi everyone,

It is really hard not to go buy a dollhouse that is only about ten minutes away from me, even though I really, really don't need another one and have no room for any more, but at least the price is stopping me.  But, still, I am very curious what this house is.

Does anyone know what this house is and who it is made by?

https://hartford.craigslist.org/tag/6153355760.html

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, amyole said:

Don't know what it is, but the shingles looks like someone started drinking on the job.:beer:  I wonder what accessories are included? Sometimes that makes a big difference.

Oh, that is too funny but true. :rofl: If it weren't for the shingles I might have given it a little more consideration, but I've removed shingles before and I have to say it isn't one of my favorite things to do.

The closest I can come is it's a Real Good Toys dollhouse, BUT...it's called the Front Opening Gingerbread Farmhouse. It's an older model that RGT made many, many, MANY moons ago, probably in RGT infancy, and instead of being 32" wide like their houses today, it's only 28" wide. The only difference between the picture in my catalog and the CL house is that the second story window is larger than single wide across.

But looking at the trim and at the unusual front porch posts, plus the fact that it doesn't have a base on it, leads me to believe this is the same house. Plus, look at the roof on the gable. That front part opens up, not just the front of the two rooms, but the whole section in front opens and separates. That's why the roof part on the gable looks so funky. That's where it opens.

The other side with the porch also opens out, making this a total front opening house. That's probably why there's no pics of the back - the back is solid. That second pic shows the front of the house with both doors in front part partially opened.

And Kari, just so you know, the shingles look wonky in the picture in my catalog, too. LOL

Oh, and by the way, that looks like a Lawbre straight staircase in there. Might be worth the price of the house alone.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

The closest I can come is it's a Real Good Toys dollhouse, BUT...it's called the Front Opening Gingerbread Farmhouse. It's an older model that RGT made many, many, MANY moons ago, probably in RGT infancy, and instead of being 32" wide like their houses today, it's only 28" wide. The only difference between the picture in my catalog and the CL house is that the second story window is larger than single wide across.

But looking at the trim and at the unusual front porch posts, plus the fact that it doesn't have a base on it, leads me to believe this is the same house. Plus, look at the roof on the gable. That front part opens up, not just the front of the two rooms, but the whole section in front opens and separates. That's why the roof part on the gable looks so funky. That's where it opens.

The other side with the porch also opens out, making this a total front opening house. That's probably why there's no pics of the back - the back is solid. That second pic shows the front of the house with both doors in front part partially opened.

And Kari, just so you know, the shingles look wonky in the picture in my catalog, too. LOL

Oh, and by the way, that looks like a Lawbre straight staircase in there. Might be worth the price of the house alone.

Thanks Kelly. I saw that the roof looked a little off but just thought it was a bad angle shot of the house, but that it opens makes sense, thank you for the info. 

Maybe I'll reconsider this one and just have to make room for it and of course deal with the "really, another one" look from my husband when he sees it...but I know from what I've read here on this forum, that I'm not the only one who gets those looks so  I'm in good company. :) 

• Like 3

You're welcome! The only things I would caution against is first, the house being only 28" wide. That isn't much, but it may be enough to limit you to only two rooms across. Second, every time you open that gable side, you're going to knock over everything in the front room that isn't securely glued down. And the only way you can see the back room is to open the front room.

Third, your shingles on the gable may need to lined up straight to be able to open the gable unless you can think of another way to do them. And that's going to make a very visible line right across the front of the roof.

On the plus side, you're getting a rare house and a reasonably nice staircase for a very good price. But if it were me, the downside would be everything I mentioned above, and a Lawbre straight staircase as opposed to one of their curved or turned staircases doesn't make the house attractive enough to buy it. But that's just my opinion. If you like it, by all means go for it. If nothing else, you can always break the house down and use parts of it as room additions to another house. RGT doesn't seem to sell room additions anymore and when I see them on eBay, they're in the $75 to $100 range anyhow.

On the other hand, maybe for that last reason alone, maybe I would buy it. LOL

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Second, every time you open that gable side, you're going to knock over everything in the front room that isn't securely glued down. And the only way you can see the back room is to open the front room.

I think this is the one negative I can't get past.  So I don't think I'll be making the trip to get this one. Thank you for the advice. :)