Half Scale Rosedale!

Roxxie2

I completed my Fairfield....  I need to take photos!    In the mean time,  I ordered another half scale.......The Rosedale.     Does anyone have a good photo of the stair assembly ( for either the full or half scale I don't think it matters does it?)    The half scale Rosedale did not come in a box with nice photos and the black and white photo on the instruction sheet is impossible to discern what is going on.    I did look in a few blogs but I couldn't see the stair assembly.    Thanks! 

Congratulations!  You do need to take photos.  :)  I've never done the Rosedale, but I know there are several people on here who have, and I'm sure can help you out.  I'm glad you haven't given up on half-scale.

• Like 1

I love the half scale its perfect for the space I have.   I ran out of space for my dollhouse builds for sure!   The only issue is finding furnishings for it!   This is a challenge for me to try and make more of my own furnishings!   
I rely on the photos more than the written instructions ( seriously dyslexic) so a photo of that stairs would really help me out!    Thanks Deborah!   :)

Hi Roxy. The Rosedale stairs are one of my favorites. It's tricky getting the wall and floors locked into place, but you can do it! I took photos of the White Rose stair assembly. I did it a little differently, but hope this helps. It starts here

Oh that's a good view!    I was seriously thinking of leaving out the stairs this time if you can't see it!    I rebuilt the stairs in the Fairfield 3 times and you can't even see it !!!! 
I wonder why the design doesn't have the stairs facing the back where you can actually view them?   I wonder if I could reverse them?   This house is so small and light weight I wonder if I even need the stairs for support?   Wondering..............:hmm:  Your opinions appreciated!!!

I actually like the stairs, and you can see them via the front door, so either hinge the door or leave clear glass in the panels if you keep the stairs because it can look charming through the window. The small oval window also looks onto the stairs. I used opaque paper in the door and oval window, so I hinged the door in a way to open so that I can view the stairs. You can see that further in the album.

Reversing the stairs is an interesting idea. I'd have to puzzle how to do it, but I think it might be done. Leaving them out would be  easier. You'd have to combine the two pieces for the downstairs wall and this would make the room that I used as a kitchen smaller, but it would work. To reverse the stairs you would need to combine the two walls (as if you were leaving them out) and add the stairs against that wall (unless you move them :D somewhere else).

I love the Rosedale. It's a fun house to build. My Copper Rose (second one) is still in development, LOL, but sooon, soooooon. :) 

• Like 1

I was just studying some photos I think I should leave the stairs in.  lol   I didn't realize that the stairs turned and came down into the room I will call the living room.   Its such a tiny little house so cute!  Just making some plans.  I do have another question about the laser burn marks on the wood.  Can you stain the wood with regular wood stain or will the burn marks show through the stain?   This is the first laser cut house I have built so I am not sure how the burn marks show under stain and paint.  After using real stain in the Fairfield I don't really want to go back to just paint.   I think the stain looks richer! 

I use Miniwax stain pens on a lot of my builds. I like the colors and effects you can get with real stain. :) 

The burn marks can show if you are using lighter stain. I use emery boards to sand the edges of all pieces even though some think you don't have to sand laser cut kits. It's just a lot less sanding, and in half scale, emery boards work great (I get them at the Dollar Store). Burn marks on the birch face of the wood will also sand off with a light sanding using a small piece of 400 grit paper. I have tried rubbing the edges with alcohol to remove the marks (as some suggest) but my experience is that it really doesn't work at this scale.

If you are going to paint trims, be sure to lightly sand the burned edges first. The soot can bleed through lighter colors and will require multiple coats. I find that with sanding I can use lighter paint coats and get a better finish.

Eww on the bleeding through!   Thanks Debora!    I have no experience with the laser cut.   I usually sand everything, also using the emery boards ( Family Dollar).   I would be frustrated if the marks bled through so thanks for letting me know!  Maybe I will get wild and paint the trim all kinds of colors....you never know!     I always think I have to make the house look "real" when in reality it can be as crazy as you want.   When I did my Mary Engelbreit house I started thinking outside of "real" and had a blast doing it.   My special touch seems to be doing decoupage in and outside of my houses.  I never did decoupage as any other kind of craft but I seem to add it to my houses as of late.   It does allow me to be colorful!   I need to get some new sanding boards and  trim.   Living in the middle of nowhere makes it even more challenging.   

I've been using various weights of cardstock lately. It takes paint finishes well and with a good papercutter, or straight edge and steady hand, you can cut trim strips. :) 

The edge and roof line trims are all card stock on the Chanticleer. So is the facia and trim on the bay window.

• Like 1

I have some photos of the stairs ...but on fb lemme see if I can get some transfered here for you

well I have some great photos of the stairs being put together unfortunately I have forgotten how to get them in an album....sigh...

sorry...I tried!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rbytsdy said:

Here are my 1/2-scale Rosedale stairs:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!    Those are fantastic photos!!!!   You did your stairs so precisely!!!   I have a couple of clamps but even then mine always come out a bit off.  Maybe I don't wait long enough for the glue to dry before I move on or something.   I really appreciate this!   Hugs:bear:

I'm glad if they're helpful-- I am just now realizing that it's been four years since I did that build! Wow-- time flies. I do vaguely recall that the second floor install did give me fits until I figured out something about the correct way to twist it out of plane, apparently...

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017‎ ‎8‎:‎06‎:‎05‎, rbytsdy said:

-- I am just now realizing that it's been four years since I did that build! Wow-- time flies. I do vaguely recall that the second floor install did give me fits until I figured out something about the correct way to twist it out of plane, apparently...

BINGO!!!   what did you do?   I already have had the second floor under heavy books but when I try to get it to lay flat with the stair assembly it curls up!!!    I had to remove the right stringer from the stairs and glue the kitchen wall side directly to the stairs.  Still wonky!!!    Did I say this house was going to be easier???  :ermm:

Update...while attempting to maneuver the stair assembly into place, I broke both the small side of the doorway and part of the stair railing!!!!    Just before this disaster, I tried to dampen and flatten that wonky second floor and its now worse than before!:cry:    This is the second try with one of these fragile laser cut houses and this one may be headed for the same place as the last one.....money wasted not to mention.  Sorry for all the whining I am just disgusted.   :grrr:    

On 6/12/2017, 12:21:01, Roxxie2 said:

BINGO!!!   what did you do?   I already have had the second floor under heavy books but when I try to get it to lay flat with the stair assembly it curls up!!!    I had to remove the right stringer from the stairs and glue the kitchen wall side directly to the stairs.  Still wonky!!!    Did I say this house was going to be easier???  :ermm:

Update...while attempting to maneuver the stair assembly into place, I broke both the small side of the doorway and part of the stair railing!!!!    Just before this disaster, I tried to dampen and flatten that wonky second floor and its now worse than before!:cry:    This is the second try with one of these fragile laser cut houses and this one may be headed for the same place as the last one.....money wasted not to mention.  Sorry for all the whining I am just disgusted.   :grrr:    

I'm having a hard time picturing what you are describing. Can you post pictures? Are you trying to flatten a warped 2nd floor while it's attached to the vertical dividing wall? Or did you set it aside under books and it's still warped? Your problem might warrant a call to GL customer service if it's the plywood. You can always contact them for a replacement sheet if you need it too. 

For the doorway, I'm assuming you mean the arched doorway to what I call the kitchen. Depending on where the break is located you may be able to reinforce the leg of that piece by attaching the trim pieces on either side of the doorway. 

• Like 1

I killed it Debora!  Poor thing.......:cry:  There was no repairing trust me on this.... so much went wrong!    I always flatten the floors laying on the table under several heavy books.  I think it all went wrong when I glued floor paper ( fake wood) to one side and ceiling paper to the bottom other side.   Then I got the stairs a tad bit "off" and could not finagle the whole stair until up through that hole in the second floor.   I even practiced several times!   So I removed the kitchen side of the stair wall  and got the stair side located up in the stair opening.  Then I went to glue the kitchen wall section back on and in a blink, the railing cracked and from holding to that skinny piece of the kitchen door I broke that too.  I don't know my own strength I guess.   I did try to kind of splint the railing and also that section by the arched door.  I planned to cover it with wallpaper anyway.   I then set the house on its side to try and do something about the stairs that still did not meet up flush and that was all she wrote!  Crack!!!! Snap!!!    Did any of this make sense? 

So,  I pirated all the pieces that I could save intending to try and make new parts which didn't work either. I now had a huge migraine so I wanted to show it who was the boss and tossed the whole mess in the trash and waved farewell as the trash truck drove away with it yesterday!     I was staying awake at night trying to figure how to make lemonade out of lemons but I am much relieved and moving on.  
I am now half done constructing my little half scale Colonial with not a hiccup in sight.   It seems so easy its silly good fun!   lol  
End of recital as she bows and leaves the stage.:wacko:

• Like 2