Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Hi everyone! i received a Van Buren for Christmas in 1978, but life got in the way of ever putting it together. It lived in its box in my family's basement for many years whie I raised my son, went to college and moved around the state and the country for work.
My husband and I finally moved back home in 2001, semi retired and I dug it out one day to find to my dismay, that dampness and time had done some damage to the box and papers inside but the wood was hardly touched. I still didn't get around to working on it, the instructions were a pile of flakes and i had to make a space to work on it in the garage.
Then in 2015, my dear husband fell to lung cancer and my life changed again.
So here we are in 2019 and I'm finally settled in my own home and soon will have time to open that delicate box again and see what's inside.
Wish me luck! If at all possible, I'm determined to put this house together!
I just started restoring my mother's beloved Van Buren dollhouse that her father made for her in the 70s. It has seen some VERY hard times, including a hurricane during the last attempt at restoration, but I'm making some progress on bringing it back to life.
I have one concern though, the front door has gone missing, and the opening seems larger than typical dollhouse doors. I'm a total novice at this, and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what I should do. I know they don't make Van Buren pieces anymore, so does anyone have any other suggestions?
I've been working all weekend (Dec 2 & 3) on this bedroom set and now it's finally finished. I'm waiting on the baby's room and the master bedroom furniture to arrive and making the drapes. Ohhh, I'm sure there are some other odds and ends to do. Carpeting on the second staircase and such. For some reason, I keep forgetting about putting in lights, I sure hate the thought of doing that but I've got to bite the bullet on that one, don't I? It will get done, hopefully, one day!
Here is a picture of the front it's finally finished.
What would a house be if I didn't have at least one room designated for furniture that I've made! So I made the attic bedroom the one for my wicker bedroom set. This set is not staying, I only wanted to see how it fit. I will be making a dark brown set for this room. The other room a sewing room. The roof needed something but I'm not sure if I will keep it this way and I took a picture of the whole house as it is now.
I've installed more lighting and what a feeling it is when the room lights up. Forgive the quality of pictures, I have this mental block when there isn't a flash on the camera, I can't take a picture!
So here are a couple of pictures of the livingroom and upstairs hallway lit.
Today (Jan.20,07) I installed lights in the baby's room and the master bedroom.
Well, I've been putting it off but I think it's time to put a railing around the opening of the staircase. Wish me luck!
Since I haven't spent as much time as I would have liked on my house, today was the perfect day! Thanksgiving dinner is over and it's time to relax and do some mini-ing.
Here are two pictures showing the siding done on both sides.
I paperclayed around the foundation of the house. I'm not sure how it's going to be once it dries and is painted. That's for another day. Anyway, it's done and I've also made a front step. As you know, this house didn't have any type of steps or porch. It rested on the table. So I came up with the idea of two steps. The front doors are in and working great.
This picture shows the inside of the house with the front doors on.