Pulley System Stairs

SewMini

Has anyone ever done retractable stairs or stairs that lift up and down as needed? The Casa needs stairs but I'm thinking it would be really cool to make stairs (or a ladder) that Gabrielle could pull down from the ceiling at the end of the night/as needed rather than having stairs there all the time. Maybe something on a simple pulley system? Is this a super crazy idea?

I did see the attic stairs but I feel like I want them to be a bit more sturdy since they are for daily use. Maybe something like stairs in a ship? Or like you know the ones that were in the Swiss Family Robinson house. Something that's a full stationary set of stairs but can be raised and lowered at one end.

23 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

So more like the pulley stairs that Chip & Joanna put in in the Fixer-Upper tiny house?  https://magnoliamarket.com/our-show/episode-14-shotgun-house/

What about using something like this and rigging up your own pulley with a bit of necklace chain?

YES!! That is exactly what I was thinking of! Thank you Deborah!

7 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Do they have to be working stairs?

I'd like them to be working if possible just for the neat factor and the personal challenge.

13 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

So more like the pulley stairs that Chip & Joanna put in in the Fixer-Upper tiny house?  https://magnoliamarket.com/our-show/episode-14-shotgun-house/

What about using something like this and rigging up your own pulley with a bit of necklace chain?

Weirdly, this episode of Fixer Upper was on over here tonight.. Of course I watched and I guess the biggest issue you are going to face with this type of stair is that you either need a vaulted ceiling above them so they can be pulled up to horizontal, or you at least need a stairwell hole the same length as the longest point of the stair back. I'm not sure if your orchid has enough front to back room for this, so you may need to think about running your stairs in a different direction. For a hinge at the top I would use tyvek (it's what fedex envelopes are made of) it's strong & flexible and doesn't stretch. I'd place half on the top floor, under your floor covering, and the other half on the bottomside of the top couple of stairs. If you want the bottom of your stairs to have an even surface, you could run the tyvek all the way down to the bottom and as wide as the stairs and paint right over it.

15 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

Pretty much, but just the shower head (rose) part. Also to be fair, this has only recently come on the market.

I am surprised just the shower head is not available...since faucets are available on their own. Interesting. I'll keep an eye out.

• 2 months later...

I'm FINALLY getting back to work on the Casa and thought I'd update that once I got back to the house I decided that a set of plain stairs would be fine and started hunting. Someone on a different thread mentioned Earth N Tree Miniatures which I ha never heard of. They had these really cool open ladder stairs which I hadn't seen anywhere else and I think they are JUST the thing for the Casa. I probably could have made them but these look nice and since they will be plug and play it was worth it expense to get them. I plan on staining them and then wearing them down some. I like that they are a bit beefier than other ladders that I've seen but not as heavy looking as standard stairs. Plus they keep that kind of rustic feel going.

I like those! Now that I've seen them, I wonder if I can find the same thing in half scale for my Spanish style artist's cottage, which has a sleeping loft. I already got a ladder but I like the idea of some steep/narrow stairs. Hm.

14 minutes ago, fov said:

Now that I've seen them, I wonder if I can find the same thing in half scale for my Spanish style artist's cottage,

Depending on the size of your opening, you could try the Plastruct G scale open stairs.  I really wanted them for the Merrimack, but the third-floor opening is too small.  I ended up ordering a set anyway, figuring I could use them for measurements, angles, etc., to construct my own wood stairs.

I have been thinking of possibilities for my "back door" and thing the open stairway is probably the way to go, I don't think it would be hard to build.  On an interesting note this way of storing the ladder type stairway would be interesting in a dollhouse

IMG_1001.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Depending on the size of your opening, you could try the Plastruct G scale open stairs.  I really wanted them for the Merrimack, but the third-floor opening is too small.  I ended up ordering a set anyway, figuring I could use them for measurements, angles, etc., to construct my own wood stairs.

Thanks for the tip! Those look like they could work.

1 hour ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I have been thinking of possibilities for my "back door" and thing the open stairway is probably the way to go, I don't think it would be hard to build.  On an interesting note this way of storing the ladder type stairway would be interesting in a dollhouse

Ooh, I like this. Wheels are turning...

6 hours ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

IMG_1001.JPG

I could use something like this in 1:1 for the loft in my workshop.

8 hours ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

IMG_1001.JPG

I love this ladder.. what a great mini!

It is actually a full sized picture, but my thoughts is that is probably easy to adapt a bought ladder to do this, just add the mini railing and use a grove in the side boards to pull it down.  However I think I am going to build mine from scratch because I think mine is going to have to be narrower to accommodate the hole in the stump I am working on.