Siding Idea

BWMurphy

Hello all!  Still working on my General Store here, and considering how I want to finish the exterior sides  I wanted to share a tip I was given by the owner of a local miniatures shop some years ago.   She suggested using upholstery tacking as an economical substitute for siding.  I had great success with it on the house I built, and wonder if anyone else here has used it.  It was easy to glue and paint, more importantly, it's less than ten dollars for a twenty yard roll!  A terrific solution for anyone working with a budget!

IMG_0832.JPG

• Like 2

Here is a photo of the results.  Kindly forgive the dust, this house is stored in my attic just now, and will be refurbished as soon as I'm satisfied with my General Store project.  I'd be pleased to know that someone else would find this useful, in return for the kind assistance of I've received here!

IMG_0848.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

• Like 1

On February 4, 2017 at 8:05:18 PM, stickyfingers said:

Fabulous! What glue did you use, and did you paint before or after you glued it on?

On February 4, 2017 at 8:05:18 PM, stickyfingers said:

Fabulous! What glue did you use, and did you paint before or after you glued it on?

As I recall, white craft glue (Aline's perhaps?).   It was over 20 years ago!  Paint was applied with a foam brush after gluing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Joann's mini just put up a you tube video using the same stuff.  Never heard of using it and today I get it double.  Cool!

I'd like to view that, but can't seem to track it down.  Is there a direct link?  Thanks!

3 hours ago, BWMurphy said:

I'd like to view that, but can't seem to track it down.  Is there a direct link?  Thanks!

She has several blogs as well as a Utube channel. The miniature blog is here.

Here's a link to her video list. The one with the room box pt 2 is the one using the upholstery tape. That part starts about half way through it.  Joannesminis - You Tube

• Like 1

On 2/3/2017, 1:15:03, BWMurphy said:

Hello all!  Still working on my General Store here, and considering how I want to finish the exterior sides  I wanted to share a tip I was given by the owner of a local miniatures shop some years ago.   She suggested using upholstery tacking as an economical substitute for siding.  I had great success with it on the house I built, and wonder if anyone else here has used it.  It was easy to glue and paint, more importantly, it's less than ten dollars for a twenty yard roll!  A terrific solution for anyone working with a budget!

IMG_0832.JPG

I took the plunge and ordered a roll of amazon thank you for posting this up :)

4 hours ago, Selkie said:

She has several blogs as well as a Utube channel. The miniature blog is here.

Here's a link to her video list. The one with the room box pt 2 is the one using the upholstery tape. That part starts about half way through it.  Joannesminis - You Tube

Thanks, I'm glad you found that video demonstration....it really does work!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2017, 11:52:14, tilliejam62 said:

At BWMurphy:  Are there any recent photos of your progress on your general store?  If so please tell me how I may view them.  I have not been to the forum in quite some time.

Sorry I'm so late with my response, but I've been devoting most free time to outdoor living, and indoor hobbies like the general store on on hold until fall/winter.  I hope to post my progress then.  Thanks for your interest!