Beacon Hill: a Garden District Mansion

KathieB

What about a lightweight velvety fabric for the drapes and pelmet, maybe the color of the background of the wallpaper, and lace or sheer panels, open/ pulled back in a pale version of the wallpaper's red (or whatever other color grabs you)?  Is your dining room furniture light or dark (I forget if you mentioned it).

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

What about ...

The dining set is dark. Because is it narrow and deep, the room will be dark, even with three windows and two lights, so I'm thinking a velvety finish would absorb too much light. I'm leaning toward something more reflective. The wallpaper has both burgundy/red and yellow in the print, so a lighter tone of either will work. I'll know it when I see it.

Definitely not the yellow....whoa I thought it was fabric at first :doh:

I nice light white/ off white Voile or batiste with red trim might work. It is hard to see the yellow in the wallpaper from the picture.

Edited by Mid-life madness

34 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

Definitely not the yellow....whoa I thought it was fabric at first :doh:

It is hard to see the yellow in the wallpaper from the picture.

LOL!! Definitely not bright yellow!

The wallpaper is more gold than yellow. Pale gold or ivory with red & gold trim might work well. Lots of hard finishes to tackle before drapes and curtains. Need to work up some courage before venturing out to fabric stores. Or anywhere, actually. Still keeping very close to home.

The dining room is finished enough that I can move on to the ground floor foyer/hall. See it here.

The plans for the BH call for a shelf beneath the triple window in what originally designated as a kitchen. In the dining room iteration it will be behind the drapes, but I had a feeling that it would be too wide to look good. Thought about cutting it down or replacing it with a narrower one. So I got to the point where that was the next step, but I couldn't find the shelf. Granted, my work table isn't particularly tidy, but I generally can put my hands on whatever I'm looking for. Not this time. Cleaned up the work table. Looked in the wastebasket. Checked other places in the real house where I might have put it down. Gone, gone, gone. So I made a nice shelf from a U-channel. Just the right depth, a neat finish to the wood wall. Took a paint brush to dust out the bits of sawdust that had accumulated and dislodged the original shelf, which the house had hidden in the shadows on the floor of the window alcove. Apparently the house thought that shelf was not suitable so forced me to go to the alternate plan! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Doncha just love it when the house tells you what it does and doesn't want?

Apparently it is pissed at me for ignoring it for so long and intends to keep me engaged as long as it can. 

Working on the inlaid floor in the foyer/hall. See it here. I started out with visions of intricate parquet, but it has evolved into something with cleaner lines and less cutting and fitting. :D 

Now, do I want wainscoting in the hall? :hmm:

21 hours ago, KathieB said:

Apparently it is pissed at me for ignoring it for so long and intends to keep me engaged as long as it can. 

LOL! I have a couple that must be using the same playbook.

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Working on the inlaid floor in the foyer/hall. See it here. I started out with visions of intricate parquet, but it has evolved into something with cleaner lines and less cutting and fitting. :D 

Now, do I want wainscoting in the hall? :hmm:

That is going to be one beautiful floor. As for wainscoting, have you considered anaglypta or lincrusta? There are some stamped/embossed dollhouse sheets that would work. I've been wanting to try out the copper ones. You could probably easily paint the white unpainted ones to look like tooled leather, which was pretty common for wainscoting in Victorians.

I've pretty much ditched the idea of wainscoting in the hall. I think wallpaper is a better choice. Too much wood could get pretty dark, although wainscoting painted ivory ... :hmm: 

The floor construction is finished and it is now getting a few coats of satin polyurethane. Will post to blog when it dries.

I looked back at earlier photos in the blog, where the rooms had been staged.  I knew I'd planned to block one door into the parlor and thought it was the one nearest the front door, although it made the entry very dark. Turns out it is the other door that needs to be blocked. Good thing I checked!

EntranceHall.JPG

Edited by KathieB

Thanks y'all.  A friend once sent me a t-shirt that said something like "when creating art, the most important thing is knowing when to stop." I pause frequently to check if I have reached the stopping point.

Have spent the past several days staining wood trim, enlarging a door opening, closing a doorway, papering the hall and foyer, and doing all sorts of fiddly things. Not worth photographing the processes, but I've updated the blog with the results. See it here

Some of you may be aware that back in the day I owned and operated a stained glass shop in California. I prided myself on smooth solder joints. Had to do a mini review to get anywhere near satisfactory results with the electronics version, however. A few days of practice and a better grade of solder, and once again I'm proud of my nice flat, sturdy joints. :) 

I have a couple of electrical challenges coming up in the parlor/music room, which is the next room to tackle. They are explained in the blog. If any of you have suggestions, I'm open to hear them!

• 4 weeks later...

Work halted for a bit as the disorganization was cumbersome. The work table has been sorted and I'm ready to dig in again. In the meantime,  small eyelets have arrived as well as fresh  wallboard mud and wallpaper paste.

after.JPG

before.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Uh oh .. there is a problem with the lighting in the Beacon Hill. The two lights farthest along the tape wire have ceased to light up.  I'm sure the culprit is the tape connection just before the run they are attached to. It worked for a while, appears to be in order,  but ... nothing now.

Am pondering the best way to deal with the issue. Maybe a patch from the hot tape to the dead one to jump over the bad connection, but that means two additional connections when minimal connections is the goal. In any event, this needs to be solved, as this tape run is the source of power for the entire middle and upper floors.

I'm using eyelets, not brads, but not soldering, although I am soldering the fixture wires to the tape.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 9:12 AM, KathieB said:

there is a problem with the lighting in the Beacon Hill.

No longer! I've been otherwise occupied for the past 3 weeks, but yesterday I focused on the tape joint and realized that one brad was too close to the edge of the foil to make a strong connection. Added a brad and it is good to go again.

Also worked on the sconces in the living room. They are ready to be soldered. Also puzzled over how to connect an antique mini Tiffany table lamp, which I want to sit on a table in the living room alcove nearest to the back opening. Thought I might drill through the tabletop and run the wire down a leg and under the flooring, but now I cannot find the table! Have looked in the logical places and drawing a blank on illogical possibilities. It is a real head scratcher.

• 1 year later...

Jumpin' Jiminy! The Beacon Hill does seem to go into hiatus with some regularity! Now that the Monarch Cottage is quiet while waiting for an inhabitant, the Beacon Hill has found a place on the worktable. She has been very patient with me. 

This thread begins with the challenge of a copper clad tower roof. Despite all of the experimentation, it is ready for a makeover. The rough spots will be sanded and the whole roof painted gloss black to resemble black metal. 

The newest challenge will be finding all of the bits and pieces in the hastily packed tubs, some of which are labeled. :hmm: 

KathieB's Minis: Beacon Hill Redux (kathiebminis.blogspot.com)

image.png.001fa6c8596f08570d8cd20b3e203db8.png

Edited by KathieB
  • Like 2