Brinca Dada Emerson

cloudbound

Does anyone have any information about the Brinca Dada 'Emerson' dollhouse?  I recently purchased one used but they didn't have any information about it.  I know it has a solar panel on top that recharges batteries that light the interior.  But I'd like to know a little more about the system, like what to do if one of the lights (currently all are working) goes out - how to replace them.  The house is supposed to be scaled a little smaller than normal, although I don't have a stick of furniture in it right now.  But if the scale is supposed to be smaller, then it means they've made the rooms really nice sized.  The flooring appears to be MDF that's got grooves in it (to look like hardwood floors) and the top surface finished.  One of the taller acrylic sliding doors has some gouges in it and I doubt there's anywhere to find a replacement for it.  Still, its a really nice looking, modern (or is it 'retro'?) house. 

Brinca Dada craigslist 3.jpg

Brinca Dada craigslist 4.jpg

Brinca Dada dollhouse 1.25.17.jpg

Seriously envious...........What a great find......the scale is 1/16th but if you're careful on furniture you'll get away with some 1/12th.

The 'Reac' Archtect design chair replicas are mostly a 'small'1/12th............but sadly getting as rare as Hen's teeth so the price is climbing.

Love to see this beauty develop!

If you can get your paws on an older edition of Martin & Venus Dodge's The Dolls' House Do-It-Yourself Book, all the furniture patterns are 1:16; The New Dolls' House Do-It-Yourself Book has fewer patterns, but they're all in both 1:16 & 1:12 scales.

Thanks for your suggestion Holly.  I found some versions of this in hardback on Amazon so I ordered one.  I love making furniture - always a challenge and it takes me two and sometimes three tries to get it right.  But what fun.  I was working on some smaller-than-normal things for a retro house I imagined for one day.  But some of them might work in this.  I really like that its a smaller scale.  Well doggone it - I guess my photos are in too-large of a file size. 

Mike.  I hafta tell you that you are somewhat of the inspiration for me getting this dollhouse.  I watched from the start your construction of the modern home and loved the 'inspiration' photos you included.  I kept them in my own file thinking one day I might try to tackle one for myself.  But I'm such a 'newby' at this and trying to build something from scratch that big???  Not in THIS century.  But you can see why I liked this one. 

Debra - thanks for the link.  I'd happened upon Elf miniatures and I LOVE that kitchen set up.  Right now the price is a bit hefty for me but what fun to look at.  I'm checking out the other ones listed in the 1:16 size on the link you sent. 

5 minutes ago, cloudbound said:

Mike.  I hafta tell you that you are somewhat of the inspiration for me getting this dollhouse.  I watched from the start your construction of the modern home and loved the 'inspiration' photos you included.  I kept them in my own file thinking one day I might try to tackle one for myself.  But I'm such a 'newby' at this and trying to build something from scratch that big???  Not in THIS century.  But you can see why I liked this one. 

I can see exactly why you liked it Patricia...........and always happy to help if there is any piece of furniture you can't find!

Lundby makes a marvelous 1/16 eames style chair...with 70s read upholstery.

Lundby Eames chair and footstool found!

And the lundby avocado green his-her sink bathroom set is so 70s...I just love it. They do one in harvest gold with brown wood too. 70sliscious.

https://www.etsy.com/market/lundby

I have this house - and love putting lundby in it and revisiting the 70s. But there are lots of options.

I really like the chair and I'm going to check out the bathroom.  I have a set of Tomy kitchen in my granddaughter's dollhouse and it seemed to fit size wise very nicely.  But I'm working on making a similar kitchen to the one Elf Miniatures is selling.  I'm not all that good yet but I figured I have the wood, why not give it a try. 

36 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Pink & charcoal gray.

50s :) 

The hood over the stove in our 1970s condo kitchen is harvest gold, the only vestige of what I'm sure included gold refrigerator and stove. I left it when we redid the kitchen cabinets and used gold and red to decorate, lightened by white fridge, stove and dishwasher. Overall, it has a mildly rustic Tuscan aura with a modern flavor.

9 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Mid-century modern doesn't have to be 70's.  It could be 50's or 60's, thereby avoiding the hideous carpet. :) (And avocado green and harvest gold.  Give me pink and aqua any day.)

8 hours ago, KathieB said:

50s :) 

The hood over the stove in our 1970s condo kitchen is harvest gold, the only vestige of what I'm sure included gold refrigerator and stove. I left it when we redid the kitchen cabinets and used gold and red to decorate, lightened by white fridge, stove and dishwasher. Overall, it has a mildly rustic Tuscan aura with a modern flavor.

Our Havana house was built in the early '70s and had ghastly variegated gold shag carpet on the stairs and underneath the "hardwood" floors upstairs.

I'm disappointed that I'm unable to upload any of my photos because I keep being told my file size is too big.  I made some smaller-sized chairs, sofas, coffee and end tables that look nice in there.  I made 'boomerang' coffee and end tables.  But here's a photo from online of a similar coffee table.

I THINK that the 'boommerang' tables were from just before the shag carpets.  What's interesting is that I LIVED during that time but my mother was never into 'fads'.  We lived with French Provincial.  I guess I'll need to do a little more research before I wind up with a mish mash of furniture.  I WANT to keep the look clean and have bright colors.  Does that make sense?

boomerang table.jpg

Those are wonderful photos - and inspirations.  I just noticed a YELLOW kitchen cupboards set on there and I LOVE them.  I brought the kitchen wall unit I built yesterday down to test the size before I finish it up, worrying that my scale might be a bit too big.  This is SO frustrating that I can't attach a photo to show you Holly and ask your opinion.  I had planned to paint them white with a bright yellow countertop but now after seeing that bright yellow kitchen in the photo link you sent I'm wondering if I want to go with that...  I'm going to do some fiddling around to see if I can figure out how to reduce the file size of my photos...

In the 1970s we lived in Union, SC; in Signal Mountain, TN; in Coshocton, OH and in Jacksonville, FL.  My most 1970s house was the one in Signal Mountain, the kitchen was mostly avocado green.  The rest of the house was painted in the "earth" tones popular in the late '60s, so I went berserk when we repainted it, and if you ever visit me in our Seminole house, you will see that we love color!  We had one walk-through room between the bedroom area and the kitchen that had a dark reddish-orange shag carpet (the only shag in the house, thank God!) that the boys wanted for their playroom, and we would occasionally lose building bricks and Legos in it.

2 hours ago, cloudbound said:

I made 'boomerang' coffee and end tables. 

I love those!  I hope you can upload your pictures soon.  I would enjoy seeing them.  

2 hours ago, cloudbound said:

I just noticed a YELLOW kitchen cupboards set on there and I LOVE them.

My parents bought their first home in 1956.  It had yellow metal cabinets (uppers and lowers) in the kitchen.  Apparently, metal cabinets were new and all the rage then (hard to imagine), but she was so proud of them.  I have to say, in old home movies, they did look pretty nice.

Well it just 'clicked' - my husband and I had metal cabinets in our first house too.  They were all white though, from Sears I think. 

The first thing my husband said when I showed him my cabinet unit sitting in the Brinca Dada kitchen was that they were too big.  !!! the base unit was 2 1/4" deep - I used the same measurements that the Elf company had too.  I'm glad my husband said that though because I was trying to talk myself into leaving them the way they were (too big).  I took them apart (boo hoo) and am cutting them down to make them only 1 1/2" deep now.  I have to be thankful that I hadn't even started on the island sink unit yet.