Newbie here.

Hi, my name is Amber from Alabama. I have been interested in building a dollhouse since childhood and more recently, I decided to try a new hobby and as I have been in the very slow process of restoring a 1945 Cape Cod for the past 2 years I felt that maybe working on a dollhouse would bring me the satisfaction of hard earned progress in hopefully what will be a shorter amount of time than it is taking to complete my home. I am already aware  that this is likely to become an obsession very quickly. I have purchased a kit that I hope can be "bashed" to look very much like my actual home. I am hoping that "bashers" are not met with any type of distaste as I am likely to need assistance from time to time. I am aware that "bashing" is not uncommon buy I don't want to offend any kit or brand purists and I am not aware of the etiquette just yet. I am an experienced crafter and am often consumed by the need to bring an idea to life once it has entered my mind. Or perhaps, bring an idea to life once it has entered my heart. I am so excited about getting started and I am also so excited to become immersed in to a community of like minded artists. 

Welcome to the little family, Amber.  I'm 'way down in the SW corner in Baldwin County, AL, and I am a basher.  All miniaturists are welcome here.  If you liv anywhere close we could get together for play days.

Hi Amber,

I am in the process of creating a huge English manor house made of several dollhouses so I do a lot of bashing.  Greenleaf dollhouses are great for bashing because it is not too difficult to cut through the wood.  I recommend getting a rotary tool like a Dremel with woodcutting blades and sanding accessories.  It will save you a lot of headaches and broken utility and craft knife blades.  I found this post from a few years back that I found helpful.  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/apr2007/Dollhose_Kit_Bashing.html

Good luck and happy bashing.

Unless you have a clamping device set up to hold your Dremel, please do not use it for cutting,  I do use a Dremel Trio for some cutting, after I have securely clamped down the piece I want to cut the new door or window opening, but my Stanley box cutter works just peachy for most cutting I want to do.

Hi Amber! I'm a big fan of bashing, it adds that extra personal touch to a house and the ideas people come up with never cease to impress me. Greenleaf kits are great to bash, I find them very easy to cut and modify even for a newbie. Hope you have lots of fun with your project and share pictures of your progress :)

17 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Amber.  I'm 'way down in the SW corner in Baldwin County, AL, and I am a basher.  All miniaturists are welcome here.  If you liv anywhere close we could get together for play days.

Hi! I'm originally from Shelby County and that is the place I consider to be home. I moved to Fayette County several years ago as my husbands career necessitates that we be located in a rural area. He works in Forestry/Wildlife Management. My background is in Social Work/Counseling but I am currently at home with our two girls. His mother is originally from Dothan and his father is originally from Pensacola FL. so we have traveled down towards you many times. I would love to have an excuse to make a trip so keep me in mind if you hear of any events that would help me learn or just to have fun. I usually catch on to things pretty quickly and I am always willing to help. I think I have finally found my people! 

Amber, if y'all like jazz, the Jaz Society of Pensacola puts on a free jazz festival at Seville Square every year, the first weekend in April.  My DH grew up in Montgomery and went to high school and junior college in Pensacola, and we ended up in Seminole when we moved to a one-story house closer to medical resources.

Hi Amber :wave:. Welcome. A lot of people "bash" around here. I absolutely believe that the original kit is a base only limited by your imagination. :D

Who doesn't want a custom house!?!

Hi Amber! I'm a newbie as well. I got a kit a few months ago and have been s.u.p.e.r slow with it. Super. Meanwhile, I'm collecting MORE assembled houses I'm finding online! Truly obsessed! I'm a cake decorator gone miniature world. Looking forward to seeing more of your designs! 

I thought half the fun was creating ! Add or change on!  :) 

On Sun Jan 15 2017 09:56:58 GMT-0600, Littlebirdieb said:

Hi! I'm originally from Shelby County and that is the place I consider to be home. I moved to Fayette County several years ago as my husbands career necessitates that we be located in a rural area. He works in Forestry/Wildlife Management. My background is in Social Work/Counseling but I am currently at home with our two girls. His mother is originally from Dothan and his father is originally from Pensacola FL. so we have traveled down towards you many times. I would love to have an excuse to make a trip so keep me in mind if you hear of any events that would help me learn or just to have fun. I usually catch on to things pretty quickly and I am always willing to help. I think I have finally found my people! 

Morning! I am trying to find where I can join "Team..." I thought I read you telling another new member how to do that. I cannot seem to find the link. Looking specifically for "Team Beachouse Bungalow . " I also posted some roofing questions, and commented on some of my new and ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY dollhouse tools. Ha! 

4 hours ago, Littlebirdieb said:

Morning! I am trying to find where I can join "Team..." I thought I read you telling another new member how to do that. I cannot seem to find the link. Looking specifically for "Team Beachouse Bungalow . " I also posted some roofing questions, and commented on some of my new and ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY dollhouse tools. Ha! 

The  Team building blogs were for the Greenleaf kits that Dean had requested the building team at that time build & blog.  I doubt that there will be a "Team Beachouse Bungalow" build or blog, since that is not a kit made by Greenleaf (isn't that a RGT kit?).  We haven't done a team build since the Magnolia.

5 hours ago, Littlebirdieb said:

As Holly, explained, the teams were a closed group of members designated by Greenleaf to build and blog a specific kit.  

If you start a new thread entitled "Beach House Bungalow Construction" or something similar and then use it to post progress as you build, it will create a nice record of what you're doing as well as collect advice and suggestions from other members as challenges arise. When you have made 5 posts you can open an album for the Beach House in your own Gallery. Put the photos of your progress there and link to them in the thread posts. (There is a limit to the number of photos you can insert in posts. There is no limit to the number of photos you can put in a gallery.)

Once you have made 50 posts, you can start a Greenleaf Blog if you feel a need.

On Sun Jan 15 2017 09:56:58 GMT-0600, Littlebirdieb said:

A BIG thanks to both of you. The Bungalow is made by RGT. I am hoping to start a blog so I think a Beachouse Bungalow Construction group would be a great idea! Forgot to mention earlier that I scored some carpeting, random furniture deco, marked down to $1.50 or so on clearance at Hob Lob. I know that not everyone is a fan of the store but I consider it to be my mother ship! Anyway, was super proud of my finds. Thinking I may handpaint and add tassels on carpet to create oriental like pieces. One more question, what is the post requirement/ general requirements for me to move up to eligibility for blogging? Thanks again, AWB

After five posts you can start posting pictures in albums in the gallery; as Kathie told you, after 50 posts you can start a blog.  The building team members were selected by Dean (who owns Greenleaf) 'way back when this version of the forum was new (before that we didn't have galleries or blogs or internal messaging), and had us blog our builds of kits he selected for us, that were used in marketing, I believe.