EllenC

Hi, I joined this group a few weeks ago so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place.  I've looked at this website for years and finally decided to join, I've enjoyed looking at photos and reading blogs.    I've enjoyed this hobby for about 25 years and I like all scales but mostly collect in 1:12 scale.  When I began this hobby, I planned to have just one huge house but several years ago Hobby Lobby quit selling a lot of the dh models they had carried for years, RGT, Duracraft, etc.,  not only did they sell off the kits at a very reduced price but they were selling all their display models too, and I bought at least one in every style, the prices were just too good to pass up.  Yes, I'm a dh hoarder!   About 10 years ago, I went to an estate sale in my town, they had advertised dollhouses but it was like walking into a dollhouse dream sale!  Tons of dollhouses and kits and the prices were very good.  I seemed to be the only person interested in them so the first day of the sale (friday), I called my husband and we hauled 2 pickup loads of the more unusual dollhouses away, these were models I had never seen before, so I believe they had been built from plans. I wasn't able to go back on that Saturday, but I called the Estate sale company on Sunday morning and she said she had not sold anymore of the houses and said she would make me a good deal if I would just haul them away!  I paid her $50 and I made 4 trips in my pickup truck.  These were nice houses, I mean like a Thornhill kit, and various other big kits, also got 3 half scale houses already built, and a gas station, just an assortment of great houses/shops.  I recently realized that one of the half scale houses is the hard to find "First Lady" house that was built for Mrs. Carter during her Whitehouse years.   Unfortunately none of the built houses were in perfect shape because they had been left in a garage and a shed just piled on top of each other for years,  so there was mucho cleaning of wasp nests, spider webs, & grime, but what a haul that was.  I had asked the estate sale company about the owner of the houses, she said the woman had a brain injury and building the houses had been her physical therapy, which I thought was interesting.  I thought it was odd that someone would spend that much money on these houses just to pile them on top of each other in a shed.   Most of the houses weren't decorated at all which I was glad of so I didn't have wallpaper to remove.   I've slowly been working on them, never enough time in a day, but I have to say, this hobby has brought me a great deal of joy, I've met a lot of nice people and I look forward every day to working on miniatures or at least looking at them.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas that celebrates the day.

• Like 2