Not too bad for a first attempt

aussieguy84

As I "patiently" wait for my building supplies at arrived via the post (which of course it taking forever as Australia is in the middle of nowhere compared to the rest of the world LOL) I decided to have a go at making a 1:24 scale coffee table for my Fairfield. I based it on the Parquet Coffee Table from Pottery Barn. It's a bit too high so I'm going to call this prototype one ;-p and have another go! 

PB-parquet-reclaimed-wood-metal-coffee-t584b415350caa_CoffeeTablePrototype1.thum

• Like 3

It looks great!:pepper: What did you use for the horizontal metal? Is it wood dowel painted? Love the carving on the top of the table... very well done!

If this one's a prototype, I hope you don't mind me making suggestions for improvements... no obligation to listen of course... lol

I would make the table top overhang the leg assembly a little bit for a lip like the inspiration table. Also, if you wanted slimmer horizontals like the pottery barn table I would suggest a thick gauge black wire. You could drill into your legs and insert the wire for a solid assembly.

Also in the jewelry findings area of Spotlight you might find some beads or some such that would allow you to make the "joints". Alternately watch parts are also a good source for jointy type thingys.... that's a technical term by the way :D

On a style note... I love where you are going with your modern industrial style! I'm really looking forward to seeing this build unfold. 

On 12/10/2016, 12:21:13, havanaholly said:

I have to ask; what did you use for the base?

I made it out of 3 mm dowel Holly which i carved using a knife. It was a timely process. 

On 12/10/2016, 3:16:58, Samusa said:

It looks great!:pepper: What did you use for the horizontal metal? Is it wood dowel painted? Love the carving on the top of the table... very well done!

If this one's a prototype, I hope you don't mind me making suggestions for improvements... no obligation to listen of course... lol

I would make the table top overhang the leg assembly a little bit for a lip like the inspiration table. Also, if you wanted slimmer horizontals like the pottery barn table I would suggest a thick gauge black wire. You could drill into your legs and insert the wire for a solid assembly.

Also in the jewelry findings area of Spotlight you might find some beads or some such that would allow you to make the "joints". Alternately watch parts are also a good source for jointy type thingys.... that's a technical term by the way :D

On a style note... I love where you are going with your modern industrial style! I'm really looking forward to seeing this build unfold. 

Thanks for the suggestions Samantha - I tried with the wire but couldn't get it perfectly straight so abandoned it. ;-p Instead I used toothpicks compared to the original 3mm dowel which appeared to be too thick. The suggestion of the little over hang makes the world of difference. I just cut little squares of 1mm balsa wood for the join details. I'll see how I go with the floor colour and wether I need to darken the wood further with another coat of stain.

I was impressed with the results so decide to make a little matching console table for behind my couch.

Style wise I didn't want to go for victorian so I'm going more contemporary with a few hints for the victorian era! My actually real life apartment is industrial so I guess that influenced the table style choice. 

On 12/10/2016, 3:54:32, KathieB said:

Sam's suggestions are good ones. Keeping proportion and scale, especially in the smaller 1:24 items, is important to achieve realistic renditions of real life objects. 

This time Kathie I actually also took into account the real hight! Hence it looks much more in proportion! : - )

Thank you everyone for your lovely feedback and kind words. 

IMG_4636_(1).jpg

• Like 2

Wow! Second attempts look awesome! :clap: Much more to scale and I think I like the console best of all!... The tops are even more impressive than the first one and the cross beams look much more proportionate.

Be careful showing us these wonderful things you are building, you might find yourself getting requests for commissions.. :D

2 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Wow! Second attempts look awesome! :clap: Much more to scale and I think I like the console best of all!... The tops are even more impressive than the first one and the cross beams look much more proportionate.

Be careful showing us these wonderful things you are building, you might find yourself getting requests for commissions.. :D

Payed to build doll house furniture - oh would't that be lovely : - )

Thanks for your kind words - it turned out much better! Amazing what you can do with some toothpicks! ;-p

Scott, the 2nd generation tables are lovely. You're a quick study. :)  As you do more of this, you'll find you look at real life items with a miniaturist's eye, always on the alert for something (like the toothpicks) that can be used for miniatures. If you want to continue in the contemporary/industrial mode, you might check your hardware store for brass rods in various thicknesses as well as smaller diameter wooden dowels. Can't wait to see what comes off your workbench next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Yeah, Scott!  MUCH more in scale.  FYI coat hanger wire is nicely straight (a bear to cut, though; and bending, even with a jig, is another), as I learned making a 1:24 gate:

Exterior I: facade

I didn't even think of coat hugger wire ;-p and it was literally right there! Love the gate! :-)

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

Scott, the 2nd generation tables are lovely. You're a quick study. :)  As you do more of this, you'll find you look at real life items with a miniaturist's eye, always on the alert for something (like the toothpicks) that can be used for miniatures. If you want to continue in the contemporary/industrial mode, you might check your hardware store for brass rods in various thicknesses as well as smaller diameter wooden dowels. Can't wait to see what comes off your workbench next.

Thanks Kathie! Oh I was determined! Great tip on the brass rods and dowel : - )

1 minute ago, rodentraiser said:

Maybe the first attempt could be a sofa table. Then you'd have a matched set.

Nice work, by the way.

He did make a sofa/console table ... see photo #2 above

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Yes, but he was trying to make a coffee table. And by serendipity, made a beautiful sofa table instead. THEN he made a coffee table. Both are gorgeous.

Not really. Look carefully at both photos. There are 3 tables shown -- the original in photo #1 and the two new ones in photo #2

Wait - what? I thought the photo with the two tables in it were the first and second tables made. I'm confuzzled. You're saying they're the second and third tables made, right? I'm being overrun for Christmas and apparently I can't see nor think straight these days!

I hope someone gives me either tranquilizers for Christmas and/or just a big bottle of something strong. The way this Christmas season is going, I'll probably need both!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Wait - what? I thought the photo with the two tables in it were the first and second tables made. I'm confuzzled. You're saying they're the second and third tables made, right? I'm being overrun for Christmas and apparently I can't see nor think straight these days!

I hope someone gives me either tranquilizers for Christmas and/or just a big bottle of something strong. The way this Christmas season is going, I'll probably need both!

Right. And no need to apologize for being confuzzled --- in lieu of something stronger, take a deep breath and try some camomile tea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

Right. And no need to apologize for being confuzzled --- in lieu of something stronger, take a deep breath and try some camomile tea.

8 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Sorry for the confusion Kelly! If you take a look in the second picture of the new coffee table and the new sofa/console table you'll see the original coffee table that was the wrong scale. I've sent it to live at the back of the desk for the time being! 

Yes please Kathie! Camomile teas all round ;-)