Hi from Boston & New to Miniatures

JPMGallo

Hi!  

I recently decided to take my childhood dollhouse and restore it as a family project {I have 3 children 5, 9, & 12}.  I was gifted my dollhouse about 30 years ago from my grandmother and it has been sitting in my parents basement since then.  I never really did much to it, except add victorian style furniture that my mother picked out for me and play with it as a child.   It was also wired for lighting.   Now when I look at it from an adult's perspective and as a homeowner, I see just how much more I can add to it. {baseboard, crown moulding, trip, dark wood flooring etc. etc.}

I want to make the house to represent more of a craftsman/colonial style home {changing the windows & adding more modern trim, lighting and furniture, kitchen etc..}  I have searched pinterest, google, etsy, and many dollhouse blogs and websites.  I am looking forward to reading this forum and learning from others.  I am crafty and creative, I am horrible with measurements and visualizing- but learning.  I recently "bashed" the windows, front door, removed the shutters and took down the dividing walls.  I also removed the bottom staircase, as I would like to rework the positioning of them.  Planning on adding an addition on each side as well as a garage.  

There is no time frame on this project- rather just a fun way for my kids and I to release some creativity energy.   

Thanks!!

Melissa

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Melissa, and welcome!

That house looks well preserved and with much potential for greatness ;) Google and pinterest are great ways to look up ideas and find building materials/components that are availiable in miniature size. Great family project, hope you all have lots of fun!

Welcome to the little family, Melissa.  That's a very nice house with lots of potential.  I have found that even with careful measuring things sometimes don't fit; I make templates out of scrap paper and when they finally fit and look right, then I make whatever it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome!!  I cannot wait to see how you update your dollhouse.  How exciting to take your dollhouse from childhood, update it and pass it on to your children.  The JOY of seeing this project develop must be exciting for you as well.