Shipping to Aus/NZ: Advice please!

JayNZ

To everyone from Australia or NZ (esp. NZ),

I'm sure I'm not alone here in being constantly annoyed about paying often outrageous shipping costs, sometimes double the price of the item I'm buying. :ermm:

Quite often I can source things a little more cheaply on ebay, but I was wondering is there any good Australian or New Zealand miniature websites that sell products sourced from the US or UK? I do know of a couple in NZ but so far they haven't had what I'm wanting. 

At the moment I am specifically looking for the Chrysnbon Victorian Bathroom kit, but shipping costs far too much if I order from most miniature sites and although I've seen a few on ebay that are a bit cheaper, ($50 NZD incl. shipping was the cheapest I found) I still don't really want to fork out that much for one...

Let me know any tips you might have for saving on shipping minis to this part of the world! :cheezy:

Hi, I am not from Australia or NZ but I know that pain all too well... I can barelly find any dollhouse construction components in my country and often not even within the EU, so I end up having to order things from the US. Regarding suppliers in your area, I only know one store that carries brands from the UK and US, found them while I was looking for some wallpapper that was sold out everywhere else and was quite pleased with their service, maybe you already know them but in any case here's the Link

Unfortunatelly international shipping costs aren't at all 'craft friendly', I might need a couple wood bits that cost less that 5 usd but end up paying over 30 just for shipping. My advice would be to plan ahead what you want to do and try to find the components you need on the same seller (ie. dollhouse supply stores), and just order them in bulk to save on shipping. I end up having spare parts and sometimes missing on others but is the most economical way to get them. Another thing I sometimes try to do is ask EU suppliers if they can order the components I need or something close to that, for example if I find a store that carries Houseworks components but doesn't currently stock the parts that I'm looking for, I try to ask if it would be possible to order it. I end up waiting longer for them but if you have the time and find this sort of service availiable might be worth a try. 

• Like 1

In Australia, I deal regularly with Fairy Meadow Miniatures in Australia (they have an online store). They may not immediately have what you want but will get it and at a reasonable price. Lorraine, owner, is a member on this forum and is amazing.

Some sellers will try to get cheap shipping, others won't. Cheap shipping is available from UK and US if the seller is willing to try. Here are some international stores I deal with that have cheap shipping and will get what I need (if they don't have it in stock):

Jennifers of Walsall (UK) - has a website, email for stuff she may not have listed on the website.

Dollshouse emporium (UK) - some of the stuff is a bit ho-hum, but some good things.

Miniature Designs (US) - again, has a website, email for stuff she may not have listed on the website. Will get anything you want.

Dejoux/Dollhouse Heaven (US) - two different web stores but same people I am guessing. Very often have discounts (wait for an 18% or 20%) which helps.

Manchester Dollhouse Woodworks - lots of DIY wood stuff at a good price.

These are the ones I deal most with. It really pays to shop around.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

US postage to other countries is ridiculous, IMO

It really is! I try and buy a lot of things all at once from one seller, to make the shipping worth it

6 hours ago, wormwoodz said:

Hi, I am not from Australia or NZ but I know that pain all too well... I can barelly find any dollhouse construction components in my country and often not even within the EU, so I end up having to order things from the US. Regarding suppliers in your area, I only know one store that carries brands from the UK and US, found them while I was looking for some wallpapper that was sold out everywhere else and was quite pleased with their service, maybe you already know them but in any case here's the Link

Unfortunatelly international shipping costs aren't at all 'craft friendly', I might need a couple wood bits that cost less that 5 usd but end up paying over 30 just for shipping. My advice would be to plan ahead what you want to do and try to find the components you need on the same seller (ie. dollhouse supply stores), and just order them in bulk to save on shipping. I end up having spare parts and sometimes missing on others but is the most economical way to get them. Another thing I sometimes try to do is ask EU suppliers if they can order the components I need or something close to that, for example if I find a store that carries Houseworks components but doesn't currently stock the parts that I'm looking for, I try to ask if it would be possible to order it. I end up waiting longer for them but if you have the time and find this sort of service availiable might be worth a try. 

Thank you! I had not heard of that site before. Yes, here it's very rare to come by a store that sells miniatures! At least in my city. Yes, I usually do order things in bulk as I found that was the best way, even if it was a lot of money at one time it saves in the long run! I found miniatures.com to be good for this as their shipping prices are fairly standard - they don't vary much even if you add a few more items. I think I have about 80 items on my wishlist right now ahah! Every time I need something I just add a few more things onto the order. 

Thanks for the advice!

4 hours ago, mikeuk said:

I sent a 1.5kg from UK to South Australia last week! Tracked and signed for it cost me £17.40 which doesn't seem bad for halfway round the world!

No that's not too bad! About $30 NZD I think. It just depends on what i'm ordering really, but I usually don't mind paying about $30 shipping for a package if it has a reasonable amount of things in it. It's when I have to pay that price for a package that barely weighs anything that I wish there were better suppliers closer to home!

3 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

In Australia, I deal regularly with Fairy Meadow Miniatures in Australia (they have an online store). They may not immediately have what you want but will get it and at a reasonable price. Lorraine, owner, is a member on this forum and is amazing.

Some sellers will try to get cheap shipping, others won't. Cheap shipping is available from UK and US if the seller is willing to try. Here are some international stores I deal with that have cheap shipping and will get what I need (if they don't have it in stock):

Jennifers of Walsall (UK) - has a website, email for stuff she may not have listed on the website.

Dollshouse emporium (UK) - some of the stuff is a bit ho-hum, but some good things.

Miniature Designs (US) - again, has a website, email for stuff she may not have listed on the website. Will get anything you want.

Dejoux/Dollhouse Heaven (US) - two different web stores but same people I am guessing. Very often have discounts (wait for an 18% or 20%) which helps.

Manchester Dollhouse Woodworks - lots of DIY wood stuff at a good price.

These are the ones I deal most with. It really pays to shop around.

Thank you so much! I've bought from Dollshouse Emporium multiple times but I haven't heard of the others! 

Yes!!!  Totally understand.  I'm just glad I got my Pierce here (from Ebay) before the shipping costs went up.  I find that from Ebay, if the shipping is through the 'Global Shipping Program' the postage costs pretty much outweigh the lower general cost.  However as has been said previously, postage has gone up around the world (except perhaps from China).  I think due to the fact that few letters are posted, Post Offices world-wide have to put up their package prices in order to continue to make money. 

One Miniatures shop here in NZ that I like is in Hamilton (I'm in Auckland).  I have been to see Jo a few times, and have ordered stuff online quite a few times.  You can get Chrysnbon from Jo Wells - In Miniature.

http://www.in-miniature.co.nz/

This one in Auckland is run by a lovely Asian lady whom I've visited once but have ordered from a couple of times:

http://www.zoombox.co.nz/

Lastly I think I've ordered from once is:

http://www.minis4u.co.nz/

5 hours ago, Shareb said:

Yes!!!  Totally understand.  I'm just glad I got my Pierce here (from Ebay) before the shipping costs went up.  I find that from Ebay, if the shipping is through the 'Global Shipping Program' the postage costs pretty much outweigh the lower general cost.  However as has been said previously, postage has gone up around the world (except perhaps from China).  I think due to the fact that few letters are posted, Post Offices world-wide have to put up their package prices in order to continue to make money. 

One Miniatures shop here in NZ that I like is in Hamilton (I'm in Auckland).  I have been to see Jo a few times, and have ordered stuff online quite a few times.  You can get Chrysnbon from Jo Wells - In Miniature.

http://www.in-miniature.co.nz/

This one in Auckland is run by a lovely Asian lady whom I've visited once but have ordered from a couple of times:

http://www.zoombox.co.nz/

Lastly I think I've ordered from once is:

http://www.minis4u.co.nz/

I think I researched every place I could possibly find to order a Beacon Hill and in the end it seemed to be cheaper for me to just order from Greenleaf, to avoid having to pay extra tax costs upon it's arrival, which happened to someone on a blog I followed... But it did mean it cost TWICE the normal amount all up....ahh! A lot of money but hey it was my 21st present and I plan on keeping it for the rest of my life. So hopefully it's worth it ahah! 
I certainly understand why postage is expensive, especially to NZ but it is still frustrating! Luckily in terms of buying furniture and accessories, often if the seller is from China it has free international shipping. :cheezy:

I was just in Auckland (and Hamilton for a day) a few weeks ago! I should have sought out some shops to visit before I went. (I live in Dunedin and there's absolutely nothing here! Not that I can find anyway)

Thanks so much for the links, I think I've looked at the last two before but don't think I've seen the first one before. :)

• Like 1

I totally feel your pain being in Canada. It's not just the shipping, it's the crazy price and then the exchange! 

There are a few quite good Canadian stores, the shipping is about the same as US shipping, but without the US, UK or EU exchange it may be more reasonable. I think CDN and aus are close to par. 

19 hours ago, JayNZ said:

I think I researched every place I could possibly find to order a Beacon Hill and in the end it seemed to be cheaper for me to just order from Greenleaf, to avoid having to pay extra tax costs upon it's arrival, which happened to someone on a blog I followed... But it did mean it cost TWICE the normal amount all up....ahh! A lot of money but hey it was my 21st present and I plan on keeping it for the rest of my life. So hopefully it's worth it ahah! 
I certainly understand why postage is expensive, especially to NZ but it is still frustrating! Luckily in terms of buying furniture and accessories, often if the seller is from China it has free international shipping. :cheezy:

I was just in Auckland (and Hamilton for a day) a few weeks ago! I should have sought out some shops to visit before I went. (I live in Dunedin and there's absolutely nothing here! Not that I can find anyway)

Thanks so much for the links, I think I've looked at the last two before but don't think I've seen the first one before. :)

If you can't see what you want on Jo's website (In Miniature) do email her.  She has so much in her shop that she doesn't have half of it listed I'm sure!  Plus she has ordered stuff in for me from overseas a couple of times.  I would have liked the Beacon Hill but the Pierce was cheaper.  It was a Christmas present almost two years ago now!

15 hours ago, JaimeG said:

I totally feel your pain being in Canada. It's not just the shipping, it's the crazy price and then the exchange! 

There are a few quite good Canadian stores, the shipping is about the same as US shipping, but without the US, UK or EU exchange it may be more reasonable. I think CDN and aus are close to par. 

I actually just ordered something from Canada yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at the exchange rate! And yes, it is very close to the NZD (and AUD)

14 hours ago, claireliontamer said:

Due to the aftermath of Brexit, Pound Sterling is phenomenally low at the moment so you might actually pick up some bargains if you factor in the exchange rate.  

True! :D

4 hours ago, Shareb said:

If you can't see what you want on Jo's website (In Miniature) do email her.  She has so much in her shop that she doesn't have half of it listed I'm sure!  Plus she has ordered stuff in for me from overseas a couple of times.  I would have liked the Beacon Hill but the Pierce was cheaper.  It was a Christmas present almost two years ago now!

Great! Thanks so much for the advice. I got the Beacon Hill as figured if I bought another one, I would still end up buying the Beacon Hill later as it was the one I reaaally wanted. The logic did not work at all though, as not even halfway through the Beacon Hill I already have a list of the ones I want to buy next :doh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayNZ said:

I got the Beacon Hill as figured if I bought another one, I would still end up buying the Beacon Hill later as it was the one I reaaally wanted. The logic did not work at all though, as not even halfway through the Beacon Hill I already have a list of the ones I want to buy next :doh:

This is a common phenomenon. You are in good company. :D 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016‎ ‎10‎:‎47‎:‎14‎, JayNZ said:

Great! Thanks so much for the advice. I got the Beacon Hill as figured if I bought another one, I would still end up buying the Beacon Hill later as it was the one I reaaally wanted. The logic did not work at all though, as not even halfway through the Beacon Hill I already have a list of the ones I want to buy next :doh:

I have my second Greenleaf ready and waiting - it was a partial build which I found on TM and had to get up from Palmy Nth which was interesting! :p It's going to be a stone cottage.  However since then I've also started working on a treehouse/Mother's Nature's home of my own design.  On my Pierce I'm halfway through shingling and then I have to clad (which I'm a bit worried about as it's a new skill to learn and to figure) and do a general tidy up and it's finished.  Hard part is doing the hard  and tedious parts when I want to be doing the creative bits on my treehouse!

59 minutes ago, Shareb said:

I have my second Greenleaf ready and waiting - it was a partial build which I found on TM and had to get up from Palmy Nth which was interesting! :p It's going to be a stone cottage.  However since then I've also started working on a treehouse/Mother's Nature's home of my own design.  On my Pierce I'm halfway through shingling and then I have to clad (which I'm a bit worried about as it's a new skill to learn and to figure) and do a general tidy up and it's finished.  Hard part is doing the hard  and tedious parts when I want to be doing the creative bits on my treehouse!

Wow awesome! It's my dream to come across a Greenleaf on Trademe or in a second hand shop! When I was a kid we found a damaged & not quite finished dollhouse in my grandparents' basement, which I kept for a few years and intended to "revonvate" later on but my sister and I already had two dollhouses each and my parents told me last year they got rid of it a few years ago which is annoying! Early last year (when I first discovered Greenleaf!) I looked through all their dollhouses and recognised it as the Arthur dollhouse! So disappointed, would have loved to have still had it.

I'm up to the gluing stage of my Beacon Hill build now. It's been sitting dry-fitted for a few months as I've been busy with work and uni and not had the time, but also I'm terrified about gluing it haha! All my dollhouses in the past came either pre-assembled or were MDF ones that were able to be assembled in a few hours. So this is really my first build!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In Australia I've found Chrysnbon at a couple of stores.

Ryans Realm http://www.ryansrealm.com.au/Online_Store.html#!/Kitchen/c/8815715/offset=0&sort=nameAsc  have a few Chrysnbon kits at a reasonable price and also Cardstone http://stores.ebay.com.au/Cardstone-Dollhouse-Miniatures?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 have Chrysnbon also.. larger selection, but higher prices.

I've also found that this seller on Ebay http://stores.ebay.com.au/melodyjanedollshouses/ has reasonable shipping prices to Australia from the UK and she will combine postage etc. Don't know about prices to NZ though.

Of course I do source a lot from China & Hong Kong on Ebay because of the free shipping. Sometimes I'll even only sort by free shipping because I'm so sick of the shipping costs... lol..

The downside of free shipping is the long transit times.. I'm so impatient! :shy:

Edited by Samusa