To glue or not to glue...

armymom166

Hello, all!  I am working on a saddle and tack shop for my daughter's ex-fiance (long story) and I need to make a decision about the stuff on the walls. Right now it's held up with mini hold wax - should I glue it on permanently or leave it on with the wax?  I imagine my granddaughter will be playing with it (although he says she won't, but he is wrapped around her little finger).   Do I give him some wax so he can put everything back when she's done, or do I glue it all on and hope she doesn't pull it off the walls? 

You don't say how old the child is. If younger than 12, it's likely the items will be pulled off the wall no matter how you stick them on, causing more damage if they've been glued. I'd opt for the wax but warn the new owner not to put it where furnace heat or direct sun will hit it. The wax has a very low melting point.

And note that your grandchild may have a velvet touch and a high sense of responsibility, but she has friends who may not be quite so restrained.  Be prepared for a request for a rehab at some point.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2016, 9:42:26, havanaholly said:

It has been my sad experience that hope doesn't prevent damage..

Holly, you made me laugh out loud!  You are correct, hope definitely does not prevent damage, especially where this grandchild is concerned. She is a one-child wrecking crew with pretty much everything, but (with a little prodding) she is very gentle with anything miniature. I have some poster putty I can try since I'm in Texas and it's always hot.  :0)

21 hours ago, KathieB said:

You don't say how old the child is. If younger than 12, it's likely the items will be pulled off the wall no matter how you stick them on, causing more damage if they've been glued. I'd opt for the wax but warn the new owner not to put it where furnace heat or direct sun will hit it. The wax has a very low melting point.

And note that your grandchild may have a velvet touch and a high sense of responsibility, but she has friends who may not be quite so restrained.  Be prepared for a request for a rehab at some point.

She's 2 1/2.  Mostly a disaster, but very gentle with miniatures.  I am leaning towards the wax for sure, though!

8 hours ago, LadyGunn said:

I've been using that white sticky tack for the removable stuff on my walls. The museum wax doesn't stick long (in my experience) and leaves a residue when time or the hobbit (4-yo) takes it down.

Hee hee, I call mine "Mini Me"!  She always wants to be where Nana is.

• Like 1

I like wax - if things fall down, you can put them up again. Most tiny things like vases and china on tables sticks well so that if the table is knocked over, the things stay on it. As mentioned earlier - if it is glued, the little ones will just see it as a challenge and pry it up.

On the other hand, I would glue smaller scales down. Quarter scale seems to need gluing down of accessories or they fly out at the slightest breeze. 

For walls I have been using a flexible double sided transparent tape that doesn't damage the wallpapper or stain, I just cut it into tiny strips that stay hidden behind the pieces. I think it would be a safe solution for a non permanent application, however I imagine with children the tape would require frequent replacement if the objects would be removed from the walls. The sticky tak as sugested above would probably last longer if the objects are being moved around frequently.

On 10/1/2016, 8:53:05, armymom166 said:

Hello, all!  I am working on a saddle and tack shop for my daughter's ex-fiance (long story) and I need to make a decision about the stuff on the walls. Right now it's held up with mini hold wax - should I glue it on permanently or leave it on with the wax?  I imagine my granddaughter will be playing with it (although he says she won't, but he is wrapped around her little finger).   Do I give him some wax so he can put everything back when she's done, or do I glue it all on and hope she doesn't pull it off the walls? 

I've been thinking about this in terms of playability. The suggestions all have merit, but it occurred to me that if it is to be played with, there ought to be enough loose items for play, but some details should be securely glued. For example, pictures and posters should be glued in place as they are small and easily lost. When I made a suitcase house for my granddaughter, I went so far as to make the curtains out of painted wood and glued them in place, and glued a couple pictures on the walls. (See it here.) Everything else was loose, so she could move it around to play.

What items do you have to attach to the wall? Do they need to be on the wall or might they be displayed on a bale of hay or a stall wall or on the floor? Could 3D items have loops attached to hang from small brads?

I've got some loose stuff, like saddles and canteens, along with things that need to be "fixed", like display shelves.  I will probably glue the signs and some of the wall decor, but I am convinced that wax would be the best for some of the other stuff.  I am not sure her daddy will LET her play with it, but Mini Me has a way of finding those types of things and having them all over the floor before you even know what happened.  I have a feeling her dad will wake up one morning and find her in the middle of the floor with everything strewn about!