Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I'm updating my childhood dollhouse (Stanley Colonial) and using tape wire for the first time. I could really use some advice
This is a large, two-sided dollhouse and would appreciate your thoughts on how best to run the main line to get to both sides. I'm planning to add a false-bottom that the main line can come up from.
Also of note..the chimney is essentially a large hole that goes straight down until it hits the thick wood base. Wondering if this would be the best place to come up from the false bottom. There are 7 fireplaces, but I'm thinking maybe the fireplace on the back side would be good to light up since it's the only visible one.
Photos show the dollhouse with doors and roof off.
I'm hoping to get all the tape wire set-up then work on one side so that my niece can start playing with it while I finish the opposite side.
Well my house finally arrived. I have mixed feelings. lol The Garfield is a beautiful house but I do not like the wood. I built my first Greenleaf house 15 years ago I think. Since then I've only built the MDF houses. I have to change my whole way of thinking through this. I will definitely follow the directions. They are hard to understand though. I found Ginas(More Minis) blog and it is sooooo helpful. Thank you Gina! With my mdf houses I always prime the inside walls with paint so the bare wood won't suck up my wallpaper paste. I will do the same with these. My question is about this wood warping. Should I prime before I put the walls up or will it be ok to put the walls up and then prime them. Will they warp while standing. MDF doesn't warp so I never had to worry about that.
Hi everyone! I've had a long quiet period on here, but I've been steadily working away and going to shows/shops (I was at Good Sam in San Jose and was fortunate to visit Dollhouses, Trains, and More in Novato, CA for their closing sale). I will, finally, post a batch of haul and progress photos in the first week of November, when I get settled back into my home in Eugene. I really am terrible with a camera and it bugs everyone I know! In the meantime, I have a question:
Has anyone ever tried adding siding after their build's exterior was complete? Still being a novice, when I finished my first build (the Orchid; the interior is still a work-in-progress) I stepped back and thought 'I think I should have done siding.' Especially with the shingles on, the level of detail on the exterior just varies too much; it's been irritating me for a couple of months now. I'm a bit of a stickler it seems (though I didn't know it at the time)! My window/door casings, dormers, gingerbread, and my custom porch/railings are all already in place. I realize it may be very difficult, but the question is: is it even possible? If so, do you have any tips on how to do this?
Any and all possible mini wisdom is welcome!
P.S. I have the opportunity to snag a very affordable Laurel kit secondhand so I'm trying to decide where I should just start the next building with siding and call it 'lesson learned' or go back and add to the Orchid (and stash the Laurel until after the New Year, space is a very important consideration here). P.S. P.S.: I'm not a Cher fan, but I took a page out of Elizabeth's book (Studio E miniatures) since I'm always charmed by her ability to make musical jokes in her posts/titles!
All the window parts. After sanding, filling, sanding, and more sanding, painting, sanding, painting and sealing, the windows are ready for assembly. I chose to glue the top frame in and only the bottom frame opens. This helped make a rigid window frame that can be handled without falling apart. Notice the gluing jig I made for assembly.