Such a sweet gift...

me-barbie

Back story: in 2006, my gran celebrated her 100th birthday. While the vascular dementia had certainly taken hold, for the most part she was still there. We had a huge come and go tea and a lot of my cousins from BC flew into celebrate, so it was a big family reunion as well. 

Well, what do you get someone who is 100? All of us...grandkids, great grandkids, cousins and her surviving child (my mum) chipped in and we bought a park bench with an engraving on it, and got permission to have it placed on the beach near our family cottage under the tree Gramma loved to sit under. It's still there. 

2009 T'sgiving saw Gramma leave us, but the three years between that had not been kind, so in a way, it was a release. Dementia is cruel to all involved. However...the bench is still there. So this year, my mom's friend gave her a puzzle she had found in some little puzzle shop. It's a photograph of a pier and a beach with a bench...and the bench is Gramma's bench. Mum cried.

• Like 4