Shingles (Storybook Cottage)

debbru

8 hours ago, Sable said:

I hope you stained them first before breaking them apart.

:hmm:  If you stain before breaking them apart, don't you end up with unstained edges?  

4 hours ago, KathieB said:

:hmm:  If you stain before breaking them apart, don't you end up with unstained edges?  

Not with those thin sheets. I stain them all the way through. The wood is so thin and dry it soaks the stain up like a sponge. 

2 hours ago, Sable said:

The yin to my yang.

I apply stain with a rag & rub it on, so it doesn't really get to soak through.  I've gone back with the rag & stain to touch up those nekkid edges.

On 24 July 2016 at 12:03:02 PM, Sable said:

On 24 July 2016 at 12:03:02 PM, Sable said:

No I haven't stained them, it doesn't say to in the instructions

1 hour ago, debbru said:

No I haven't stained them, it doesn't say to in the instructions

The instructions focus on construction; they don't say much about finishing techniques. Wood shingles can be stained or painted or left in their natural state, depending on the look you're going for. If you are going to stain or paint, it's a good idea to paint the underlying roof a similar color before applying the shingles so there won't be teeny specks of raw wood blinking out from under the shingles. No matter how carefully you trim and glue the shingles, there will be places where they don't butt cleanly.

6 hours ago, debbru said:

Can anyone tell me how I stick the Shingles on because I can't use hot melt glue

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

You don't need to smear the entire shingle with glue. A thin bead of any kind of glue will hold the shingles in place and not cause warping.

Thank you for your reply, I'm using PVC glue but there still warping a bit on the edges

That depends on the glue you are using and when you applied the shingle(s) in question.

It might help to have a putty knife, but not knowing what glue you are using and when you applied the shingle(s), this question will be hard to answer.

3 hours ago, debbru said:

When putting on Shingles, how do you remove them if there in the wrong place

Before you start to apply the shingles, note which edge is the eave (bottom) and which the apex (top) and with a ruler measure along the sides and draw evenly spaced lines across the roof pieces from side to side.  You will use the lines to place the top edge of each shingle (or strip of shingles), cutting any to fit against angles for gables or dormers.  In the unlikely event you still have a shingle in the wrong place, it ought to show up before the glue dries.

6 hours ago, CraftyMtnMom said:

That depends on the glue you are using and when you applied the shingle(s) in question.

It might help to have a putty knife, but not knowing what glue you are using and when you applied the shingle(s), this question will be hard to answer.

Thank you for your reply, I used hot melt glue & I glued yesterday afternoon