Yard sale rehab

kellee

So a friend called the other day she picked up the cutest dolllhouse for me at a yard sale...I only owe her $5.00. I've told her to call me and send me pics before buying.  But she said this one was a steal for $5.00. I was thrilled.... she dropped if of today.... I just finished vacuuming it with my shop vac.  There was a ton of cat hair all over it,... I'm  allergic.  Spider webs galore. What do you all think.... can if be saved?   Ugh ! I can't get pictures to load at all. 

$5.00 is definitely a steal!!  Congratulations!  I need a friend like that!  LOL  Haven't seen pics, but I'm sure you can salvage something out of it if not the whole thing!

My Mom used to say, never look a gift horse in the mouth. I would be thrilled and definitely make every effort to salvage it or at least what I can from it. I can't see pictures and I understand the frustration of not being able to upload pictures.

Lucky you, to have such a wonderful friend.

Oh, believe me I am thrilled. ! I love doing rehabs, just havent touched anything mini related in over a year now.  This prescription the Dr. has me on I think is draining my energy and I'm just not the same me anymore. I will tell you it's in bad shape....and I guess I feel defeated right now. No energy to get things done that have to be done. And I'm  afraidbthis will just be dropped in the basement. 

I'd let it sit for a week or so...give it some thought, but don't be afraid to opt out of working on it. I kept a house for 6 years before I realized I was just never going to finish it. I loved it, but had to let it go. I imagine if I hadn't loved it, I'd have let it go a lot sooner. Cat hair and dust aside, can you tell if it is a kit (which one), or is it a scratch build?

I know how it goes with sapped energy!  So sorry to hear that you are in that boat.  I used to be the workhorse of the household, and now I am more like the old gray mare.  Don't be discouraged, things will happen, just not as fast as usual. Enjoy your yard sale steal (or hose it down, it might be fun)!

Did I just call myself a horse?  :huh:

Lol, I may turn the hose on it... should dry really quick here... but it's bare wood!  I think it is actually the Beacon Hill... 

A year and a half ago I would have already started. Had ideas and had it torn apart! I loved doing rehab houses. But my energy level is zapped... blaming Tamoxifen ! Lol, but I'll deal with it. I'm still here and may be a lot slower than before but oh well.! I'm alive and cancer Free!   

I can't get the  pictures too load. I wish I could.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, minikelli said:

Kelly, I'm beginning to think you'd be keen to clean everything with a hose. Wicker, dollhouses, furniture, the list could easily go on!

LMAO

When I was showing my model horses, one of the things they have to be is squeaky clean. Do you know how hard it is to get dust out of a plastic horse's tangled mane? I turned the hose on them and they came out beautiful. Even won a couple NAN qualifications, so maybe that's where the hose thing comes from. It's also how I clean my plastic trees. I just take them outside and spray them down. Of course, the one time I tried that with my gorgeous 6ft tree with blossoms all over it, I was picking up blossoms and gluing them back on for weeks.

A Beacon Hill for $5? Kellee, you win the internets.

• Like 2

Wow Kelly- sounds like you hit the dh lottery with that one!  :D    and while I don't do the hose thing, a bucket and sponge work just as well!  LOL

Almost any house can be salvaged....although I am not sure my latest acquisition for $5.00 will!  I've only ever thrown one house away and I kinda hate having to do that with this GL Washington.  We'll see.

Good luck with your rehab!  Sending you wishes for continued good health!

I only tossed my Pierce (after nearly four years of trying to find some way to salvage it) because it was mostly matchsticks & kindling after its encounter with a railroad crossing (I had begged DH not to stack things on it...).