Hello! Please let me know if I'm out of my mind

I have built both Dura-Craft and Greenleaf kits, just not the Marquam Hill nor the Beacon Hill; correctly built Dura-Craft kits are every bi as sturdy as correctly built Greenleaf and Corona Concepts kits.  If you have begun to buy dollhouses for yourself (and there's certainly nothing wrong with that!), why not invest in or learn to make your own 1:12 doll people to live in them?

Which Marquam Hill are you looking at to get?  The mostly blue one has a lot of damaged windows and where is the tower? for starters.  The tan (yellow?) and light blue one is beautiful and appears to have no damage, but I notice the builder did not continue the "stone" work around to the back of the foundation.  If that's the one you're getting, check on the bottom to see if the builder signed it.

It's the purple. The other one is a pic I found online. 

They said they started it a long time ago and they have everything to finish it , plus Victorian furniture and a brand new lighting kit. 

Edited by Alicewonder

57 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I have built both Dura-Craft and Greenleaf kits, just not the Marquam Hill nor the Beacon Hill; correctly built Dura-Craft kits are every bi as sturdy as correctly built Greenleaf and Corona Concepts kits.  If you have begun to buy dollhouses for yourself (and there's certainly nothing wrong with that!), why not invest in or learn to make your own 1:12 doll people to live in them?

Which Marquam Hill are you looking at to get?  The mostly blue one has a lot of damaged windows. 

Oh? What's wrong with them? I thought it was just the top one. 

image.jpg

Edited by Alicewonder
Added pic

I noticed the missing window on the first floor bay; not a problem if the missing window is with the missing tower.

I have built two Dura-Craft kits & have another still in its box, and it'd take me quite some time to add up al the Greenleaf and Corona Concepts kits I've built.  Correctly and carefully built using carpenter's wood glue both brands produce sturdy dollhouses.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alicewonder said:

Again please forgive me for getting off topic and saying such personal things. 

TMI, Alice, in my not so humble and very personal opinion. Too Much Information. My theory is, if you have to apologize for saying something, you shouldn't have said it. There's always the edit option.

Also, I prefer organ concerts to contain music. :D 

I'm sure I'm overthinking it. I'm gonna try and put the Marquam out of my head. I don't want building what we want for the littles on the back burner. I was only seeing if it was a nicer and faster option for the littles since it had such big and low windows. Especially since I didn't  realize just how sturdy  it could be. 

I think I need to just wait and talk t my dad about the tools first before going down rabbit holes lol 

Edited by Alicewonder

12 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I noticed the missing window on the first floor bay; not a problem if the missing window is with the missing tower.

I have built two Dura-Craft kits & have another still in its box, and it'd take me quite some time to add up al the Greenleaf and Corona Concepts kits I've built.  Correctly and carefully built using carpenter's wood glue both brands produce sturdy dollhouses.

That's Great! I've must have run across improperly built ones before cause in the past I've seen rickety rough houses with windows and doors barely hanging on.

check out what my mom n dad found! I forgot I collected miniatures when I was 14 or 15. My dad apparently found a bag of some things. I do not remember this stuff lol I remember little Christmas decorations though. And the bear is only familiar cause my mom would buy me them at the fabric store as a treat when I was little. 

image.jpg

Edited by Alicewonder
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I know I'm late to this party, but I just had to throw in a few cents' worth about scale. I am such a bug about having things "match," but little kids Just. Don't. Care. The Calico Critters per their furniture made by Sylvanian (as I measured and calculated) are 1/19. Supposedly Polly Pocket works really well with their houses and furnishings if you wanted humans rather than creatures. The critters themselves are so lumpy and oddly distorted that I don't think you can claim any particular scale at all for them. They are big for 1/24, and look odd with those accessories. They are sort of lumpy for 1/12, and will fall off furnishings,  even while looking oddly undersized. (But how tall should an anthropomorphized cat be, anyway?) Target makes knock-off creatures called Lil Woodzeez whose furniture is similarly widened and shortened and works well. I would point out that my charge plays with Barbie, Critters, Playmobil, Lego, and an odd assortment of figures all in the same rooms, and is constantly thrilled. Whilst I cringe every time a tiny person eats an apple bigger than their head, LOL!  I think the most important thing you can do here is make sure everything is sturdy, and put away anything that has to be used "gently" until every kid who ever comes near it understands what careful handling means. It's not worth hovering anxiously or mourning when things are ruined by regular play. And for kids, isn't play the point? I work endlessly to distinguish between "collect" and "play" for my 4 1/2-year-old friend, and it's an uphill battle! Sometimes very difficult to explain the difference for people who don't collect miniatures, too… : )