Hello! Please let me know if I'm out of my mind

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

After you have done the dollhouse for your children you can turn your attention to building one (HAH!!!) for yourself.

I was thinking the exact same thing as Holly, and the kids will love watching you build it. The best thing about that will be that when you get the urge to build another house, after the one for yourself, your daughter will be old enough to build her a nicer house, and she'll be able to help you! I love doing dollhouses with my grandchildren now that they are a little older!

14 hours ago, Sable said:
9 hours ago, kathi17 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing as Holly, and the kids will love watching you build it. The best thing about that will be that when you get the urge to build another house, after the one for yourself, your daughter will be old enough to build her a nicer house, and she'll be able to help you! I love doing dollhouses with my grandchildren now that they are a little older!

Thanks Ladies!!

What's HAH? 

Oh, and of course I'm like meh just for GPs I'm gonna search Craig's list and this pops up for $15?

what can you tell me about it. Is it a nice one? Looks it? I'm just thinking of picking it up and re-doing the inside just for now at that price it might be sweet in our home while we work on the littles. I'm loving the white trim (gah I'm addicted to trim work already lol) image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Alicewonder
Learning how to post

1 hour ago, Alicewonder said:

Maybe it's cause I'm up at this early hour but how difficult it weird would it be to add a balcony in the front? Lol I love the look of details like that. image.jpg

Thanks for the stair tip Kathi17 I will look into it :) 

and I will keep checking today to hear what you ladies have to say about this house. I mean the price is great I think so I wonder what's wrong with it lol or if it could be a fairly easy interior fix?

Outside color may eventually change because in the downstairs of our house thewalls are two tone greens and brown which looks wonderful at Christmas but the rest of the time lol not so much. I try though. The rest of it is dark chocolate brown (what you see in the mirror is a wall and it stretches from our entry way  to our entire upstairs is that color minus the bedrooms they were bright green , orange, dark blue , purple with black and orange and green stripes! Seriously , we were gonna paint the green and brown as the previous owners were very hgtv inspired and never used frog tape so it's on the molding and oh yeah we removed corrugated metal siding from the electrical wall of our sons room and a stage from our master, everyone was asking where the pole was ! (we had to redo the entire carpet cause they cut half of it out. )

And I take it back, they did use frog tape but that was after a coat of the brown in the half bath downstairs when they went over it in basket ball orange and Yes, our bathroom looks just like a basket ball no joke. So, we are taking it room by room and downstairs that is the first to change lol right after the "playroom" Dark dark blue gets covered. Oops veered off subject sorry. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Alicewonder
Trying to switch pic unsuccessfully

We are about to go off for the weekend, so I haven't even read your whole post, but I just wanted to jump in and say yes, grab that Greenleaf Beacon Hill. It's a wonderful house, and yeah a balcony would be easy. Got to go, I'll check back in on Monday night!

"Hah!" because I was only ever going to have one dollhouse to play with (I presently have a Glencroft pub, a White Orchid Christmas house, a Magnolia Cracker house, two Fairfields that are halves of a Bar Harbor summer "cottage", a hacienda and my recently completed Washington 2.0 farmhouse, and I'm building Brimble's Mercantile to become a home furnishings store to hold the furniture, rugs & accessories waiting for houses to go into).  The only possible hangup with a Beacon Hill is if you ever get the urge to redecorate its interior, as the stairwell is a bear unless you can remove the stairs.  Greenleaf and Corona Concepts kits are a joy to build and SO easy to bash interesting and lovely features ontl; read some of the Team Building Blogs!

She just sent me pics of the damadge. Apparently they are moving and its to much for them to tar where they are going. 

Min planning on stopping the inside so the paper being torn is probably no biggie as is the floor? However the shingles are what I'm mainly concerns with. Plus several of the decorative white pieces. Hmm maybe I could use a different white pieces?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Alicewonder
Pics

You can get the shingles really cheap, so they can be replaced. As for the trim: I sometimes remove or leave off trim - 'cause I'm not all that into the curly stuff. Stripping wallpaper, I usually try a moist rag and just put it over the wall - loosens glue really great. It peels of clean. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soapz said:

You can get the shingles really cheap, so they can be replaced. As for the trim: I sometimes remove or leave off trim - 'cause I'm not all that into the curly stuff. Stripping wallpaper, I usually try a moist rag and just put it over the wall - loosens glue really great. It peels of clean. 

That's good to know about the shingles. As for the trim she says she has a loose one and it looks like most are missing from the porch so if converting to  a balcony then might not matter.

Really? Wow that would be nice to just peel it off easy unlike the real deal lol. I remember when I was a child and we moved into our home . We had to strip everything layers of mauve paint on the windows and baseboards plus wallpaper. It was a mess! 

My husband was thinking maybe a hairdryer on low might do the trick. 

Edited by Alicewonder

12 minutes ago, Sable said:

Ask her if she used wallpaper paste or white glue? Paste comes off easily with vinegar and water. White glue is a nightmare to remove.

12 minutes ago, Sable said:

Then I really hope it's paste. 

I'm just waiting to hear back about the approximate dimensions. Just want to make sure it'll fit and how to get it in the van , probably have to send my husband back to pick it up after we see it as we will have the littles in there car seats since we'd all have go to see it if we go this weekend.

Edited by Alicewonder

Here's her reply.

"I'm not sure! We put in the flooring with white glue, but the walls were done already--we bought it from a family that had assembled and begun the decorating. Some of the floor that we left bare has a whitewashed look."

The hairdryer will tell you if it was originally built with hot glue.  If so, it's really easy to take apart the areas you want to redo, and reassemble them with carpenter's wood glue.  To remove wallpaper applied with white glue let a rag wet with water & white vinegar solution it on it until the paper is thoroughly wet, and scrape it off with a putty knife.  Any residue can be removed when dry with coarse sandpaper.  As for the fancy gingerbread, trace around one onto mat board the same thickness and cut it out with a craft knife.  It looks like the window frames were painted after they were applied to the house, so you might wish to order replacements from Greenleaf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

The hairdryer will tell you if it was originally built with hot glue.  If so, it's really easy to take apart the areas you want to redo, and reassemble them with carpenter's wood glue.  To remove wallpaper applied with white glue let a rag wet with water & white vinegar solution it on it until the paper is thoroughly wet, and scrape it off with a putty knife.  Any residue can be removed when dry with coarse sandpaper.  As for the fancy gingerbread, trace around one onto mat board the same thickness and cut it out with a craft knife.  It looks like the window frames were painted after they were applied to the house, so you might wish to order replacements from Greenleaf.

Ok, Thanks!

So, I will need all new windows? I mean it's bad to paint windows after they are installed?

2 hours ago, Alicewonder said:

Ok, Thanks!

So, I will need all new windows? I mean it's bad to paint windows after they are installed?

If the paint on the clear acetate doesn't bother you, don't worry about it.  My hands aren't steady enough to paint the inner edges of the frames around the clear acetate without getting paint on the plastic, so I sand & paint all the trims before installing the clear inserts, and I wait until I have painted or papered or otherwise finished the interior and exterior walls before installing the windows.

5 hours ago, Alicewonder said:

If it's white glue what would I have to do? I'm afraid to ask lol

You could also make a wall-shaped template our of a light card stock and glue it over the wallpaper. Or apply a skim coat of Spackle or joint compound that will give the effect of a plastered wall. Then paint or wallpaper on top.

3 hours ago, Alicewonder said:

Ok, Thanks!

The problem with painting windows after they're installed is that it's hard not to get paint on the acetate "glass".  Painter's tape or frog tape on the acetate helps, but it's still a pain in the patootie. If there is paint on the acetate, try gently scraping with the blunted end of a toothpick or other wooden scraper. It may come off. You really don't want to get into replacing the windows in a Beacon Hill. So many parts, so much time and effort. Stuff like replacing the windows is what makes a rehab take eons longer than a new build.

After driving I circles here. Tag teamed my husband. There is a tiny bit of paint on the windows but it's not terrible. They are in good it feels like it. The door is sealed shut though. I would've liked it to be a real door lol.

tag teaming my husband here lol 

she said we could build a platform in the floor so our 3" animals can look out the window lol 

If the house was originally assembles with hot glue a hair dryer will melt it enough to remove the door.  Scrape off the residual hot glue and sand off the rest, then you can pin-hinge or otherwise hinge the door.

Well, we arrived at the place after driving around and at first I got this is creepy vibe as it was a camp. We were like we will just go in and then say it won't work.

howrver, once you walked inside you realized they were very meager. They were very nice and selling just about everything as they are moving to Colorado.  I could see clearly the windows were too high for the critters but the house was sturdier then I thought and windows n everything were in good! The house wasn't dirty just messy. And I think they needed the money. So, we talked it over and my husband said even if we end up donating it to charity it was worth it to try at this price. Plus, I kind of wanted to just give her the money anyway. I told her to keep the furniture (she seem to admire it and honestly I would've just given it away as it's not my style). My husband  says he will still build the one we want for the littles. 

Its sitting in in the garage on top of a Doc  McStuffins birthday tablecloth waiting to be tested for lead paint (just in case). 

We will see what happens. 

Edited by Alicewonder

6 hours ago, Sable said:

You will need to add trim to the edges of the walls and and floors to give it a finished look.  It's an important final step. Please see how I trimmed out this house:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=99048

Oh this is Beautiful!! There is an Artply Like that for sale here but it's in such a mess (windows have glue all over them, stains water damadge I think on the wallpaper. Icky carpet and the outside was paper brick and stone speckled on attached to a giant gross looming platform (I mean the grass looked gross). I wasn't about to tackle that. 

Yours is Wow!! You did such a wonderful job!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

If the house was originally assembles with hot glue a hair dryer will melt it enough to remove the door.  Scrape off the residual hot glue and sand off the rest, then you can pin-hinge or otherwise hinge the door.

Good to know thanks!

Ok, so I'm lying in bed with my head spinning. I'm quite suprised how Sturdy the beacon hill is!

However, I'm still liking he Marquam ! What is wrong with me? Lol

Is the Marquam that sturdy?

i mean the windows n such do  they stay that well in?

i just keep picturing something like this (I know it can't be that nice however something similar)

How big of a paint in the butt is it gonna be ? Approximately how long would it be to turn around?

i checked dimensions and it's only 8" taller and 8" wider and 5" deeper then the BH. 

I found this online and oh my! I don't have the high expectations for it to be as fancy especially the interior of it.  Just lighter in color and perhaps some flowers (I'm pretty sure I can do) I know critters will have tons of window above them but they appear much closer to the floor? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Alicewonder