Need Help - Yellow Windows

AngelaL

I'm fixing up my old dollhouse from when I was a kid.  I am NOT an expert at dollhouses ;)  My problem is many of the windows are yellow now.  About half of the windows are in the house and half have not been put in yet.  Is there anything I can do other than taking out the windows and redoing it all?  What material do you suggest using that won't yellow?  I would put glass in them but don't want to risk it breaking if a kid is using the house.. and I don't see how it would work anyways since it is way thicker.  Many of these windows slide open.  Thanks for any help.

Overhead projector transparencies work well, as does clear plastic packaging, like the containers pastries come in from our local bakery. The dollhouse my father made for us in the 1950s has glass windows. They've survived two-going-on-three generations of sometimes rough play. You can get thin glass from the cheap frames sold for displaying certificates at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc.

• Like 1

The UV rays do a yellowing number on acetate, FYI.  There are all sorts of sources of clear plastic thin enough for window panes.  BTW, I must have missed your introduction in the Newcomers Forum...

• Like 2

Most clear acetate can be cut with a sharp craft knife- but are your windows ones that the acetate slides in and out of or were they simply glued to the house itself? if they were just glued on i'd recommend replacing not just the acetate but the window frames too. 

glue can be a problem but sometimes hitting it with the hair dryer and heating it up will loosen the glue enough so you can use a xacto and carefully pry things apart...good luck.