Re-sizing Real Photos to 1 Inch dollhouse scale

Well there are many ways, but what I do is import the image into Word doc, and right-click on the image, select the resizing option and set the height to 1" or thereabouts depending on how I plan to frame it. Then I print the doc onto glossy photo paper, usually.

• Like 4

You can use Photoshop or another imaging software to do it -- some are available for free. I have a free program called Seashore on my Mac.

For the best results you want to increase the image's dpi (dots per inch), as well as shrinking its size. Print quality is at least 300 dpi, so if your photo has a lower dpi than that you should increase it as part of the shrinking process. (If you start out with a large image that has a low dpi, increasing the dpi will decrease the size of your image, while also giving you a higher print quality than if you had kept the low dpi and just shrunk down the dimensions of the image.)

Some of this stuff isn't as important as it used to be, because phones take high quality pictures now, but if you find that your printed photos look fuzzier on the page than the did on the screen, a low dpi is probably to blame.

Years ago I wrote an article about this for Miniature Collector. It's archived on my website (with their permission). It assumes you're scanning the image, but maybe parts of it will be helpful to you. http://www.emilymorganti.com/samples/miniaturizingprints.pdf

• Like 2

I have used photoshop where I feel comfortable - but I have also done resizing on a mac with the free built in editing features. It worked fine. I find photoshop easier as it is my old friend.

Also, if the photos are sentimental, I tend to make them small yet perhaps not exactly to scale - as sometimes they get so small they lose visibility - so I sometimes have out of scale but very visible/discernible sentimental photos in a house. Still in a 1:12 frame, just probably not how it would be scaled in real life.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I typed a document and I wanted to insert a photograph which was simple enough to do.  So I hit "Insert picture" went to where my pictures are stored on my laptop; drop-down box showed "resize"; hit that and now I know how to make my full size photos smaller and all I had to do was hit a key on the keyboard.  LOL So now that I have the small photos the next step is to either print them out or write them to a CD,  take them to either Stapes or Office Max (their custom photo & printing dept. and have them print them on glossy photo paper.

Yesterday I purchased some HP glossy photo paper (4"X 6") but I have no clue how to even load it in my HP inkjet printer. I read reviews about this paper after I purchased it and they say the pictures come out smeared,  out of focus, etc. Also, I don't fathom using up HP ink cartridges (they cost too much) just for a few photos and possibly, not so good ones. I'm gonna go to Staples Office Supplies. The nursery  & dorm room shadowboxes in the photos I initially attached were created by a miniature store in Pittsburg, PA,  called Dollhouse Junction, and the owner, Debbie M., told me that's how they do it.  Her customers supply the pictures, her husband resizes them, she takes them to Staples and the result is what you see in the attached photos of the nursery and college dorm room shadowboxes.

11128808_10153299541361392_2337817947446838983_o (1).jpg

You know  - I just might use the resized photos as is after the frames arrive.  They really look okay as is and the frames will make them look better.  I'll take pictures & post and get your thoughts.

Sometimes you have to experiment with which side goes up when installing the glossy paper. Also, there are paper size adjusters in the paper loading compartment. Just put the paper in the loader and slide the adjusters to butt the paper.  I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hey  Sable:  Glad you stepped-in to help me out cause it worked perfectly so I guest I'm not going to Staples. LOL

First I saw where the paper size adjuster was (I always saw it but never had to use it till now; then I put in a sheet of paper, glossy side facing away from me - oops! wrong side; printed a second time with glossy side facing me; PERFECTION!! Thank you.

My project is a life-size table lamp for a little girl's nursery made with 5 picture frames for the lamp base with a miniature room built inside (a little girl's nursery room).  I got this idea from Dollhouse Miniatures magazine years ago.  This will be the 4th  one I've made so far.

5.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

These are just 2 of 5 pictures I resized & printed on glossy paper (thanks to Sable).  The baby is my GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER born just last month & the little boy is her father when he was a toddler.  I'm making the nursery lamp as a gift for her.

Scan0001.jpg

Scan0002.jpg

I don't know why the photos came out looking so fuzzy in this post but they are "picture" perfect in person; no smears, no fuzzy.. The 1st picture is my great granddaughter, one month old; the 2nd is her father when he was a toddler.  He is 26 years old now and the baby is his 1st. child.

Edited by tilliejam62
forgot some words to the text
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

These are some photos I resized, printed out on photo paper and framed in tiny miniature frames. Not a very good picture but the framed photos are to my liking and will all go into my nursery lamp project.

DSC00072.JPG

Hey Holly: Thank you,  I really surprised myself with the re-sizing because although I know how to do lots of stuff with a computer there are so many more things I do not know but I'm learning everyday.  I'm proceeding very slowly with the lamp. Hope its completed before she graduates high school. LOL  This will be the first time I do one with working electrical fixtures.

: