Micro Village

CheckMouse

I have decided to make a village for my growing collection of micro houses (1:144 scale).  Just a simple little layout with a few houses and streets. Did I say "simple" ??   We all know that houses talk to us - but this layout is getting downright bossy! Fortunately it has to go in a case that is only 6" deep, so that got the Garfield all in a snit - she wanted to be on a bluff, looking down on all the peons on the farm! She'll have to settle for a small hill on the edge of town!  And the church, the saintly one of the bunch, insists on having a cemetery behind/beside it!   And the fishing lodge?  It can't just be beside some water - has to have a lake coming right up close, with a dock extending into the water.  Geez Louise!  I thought I was supposed to be the builder! 

So I'm thinking with streets one should have street lights, right?  I go through the websites for train layouts, Googled the whole vast Internet - and found working street lights in various styles - and - are you ready for this? - LIGHTED CARS!  All in the right scale!  Unfortunately, the Town Mayor was looking over my shoulder and just has to have them!  What fun to have a night scene with street lights on and cars on the streets with their headlights and taillights! 

My question now is for someone like Havana Holly, someone who has worked with train layouts - all these lights and cars come with the attached wiring, but that's all. How do they hook up to power?  I'm afraid they are designed to connect to the control panel that big train layouts have. This whole layout is inside an acrylic case and will be moveable, so I can't have a stationary control panel.

Any ideas? Advice? 

• Like 2

DH doesn't have a regular layout with all the electrical goodies; I think Selkie's our model railroad guru.  If you have a regular hobby shop, go have a long chat with them on the subject.

• Like 1

I also don't have a clue, but love the idea of your micro village.  Perhaps someone at Hobby Town in Silverdale could help you.  They have some train supplies.

I have never asked his name, but have talked with the guy who builds micro scenes that are for sale in the store.  He loves to build the micros.  I don't know what days or hours he works.

Also, they recently have stocked some miniatures and he is interested to learn from "dollhouse people" what items would best sell.  The last time I went in for wood strips I came out with the wood strips plus 1:12 scale "silver ware" and "toothpaste and toothbrush".  They also have some dollhouse kits, furniture and some windows and doors, etc. 

Good idea, Christine!  I haven't been to that one yet. There was one in Bremerton that closed awhile back and I didn't know there was another one. I'll have to get up there. :drive: Now that I have seen these lighted cars, I have to add them to the layout! 

I'd also check with Evan Designs - http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/

I bought some of their new separating wire sets.  They have plugs and sockets so you can separate the two.

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/pin-connectors.html

I used them when completing Otter Cove, but I plan to use them to light the car for my barn find diorama.  I can unplug the car from the wires so it will stay removable from the barn.