What have I gotten myself into?

vbharrington

I went yesterday and picked up a DuraCraft Farmhouse I found on CraigsList for $70.  I thought I was getting a deal because the house looked great in the pictures and it also came with a house full of furniture, as well as some extra pieces.  When I saw the house in person, I noticed a few minor repairs, but nothing major.  All of the furniture was either hot glued to the floor or had some sort of sticky, waxy stuff on it.  The furniture that was hot glued to the floor pulled up the "carpet" and "tile" when I pulled the furniture out.  There were also stains on the wall paper where the wax had been used to hold things to the walls.  There is tape wire already in place, but I'm not sure if it works, because there is no transformer or plug with it. Cosmetic stuff, but nothing that I wouldn't have been changing anything.  

Here's the problem.....When my dad and I tried to unload the house, the shell of the house lifted off of the foundation. Before we knew what happened, the roof and porch had also come off of the house.  So, I now have a farmhouse that has come off of the foundation, stairs that have come off of the wall, and a porch and roof that has come off as well.  It looks like wood glue residue on the walls, roof, etc.  but it appears to be a thin line of glue, so that could be why it hasn't held up over the years.  I think it could be fixable, but I'm not sure where to start. 

It also needs a HEAVY cleaning, and I'm not sure of the best way to go about that.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Farmhouse_Front.JPG

Farmhouse back.JPG

What good bones that house has!  Give it a good vacuuming and airing.  I would also lose the stained wallpaper and the flooring that's in there, unless it's undamaged and looks better in person than it does in the photo.  Is it missing the lleft rear roof, or did that come off?  It looks like just the upstairs is in awful shape.  If the vacuuming doesn't take care of things I'd give it a gently wipe down with a dmp (not wet) rag.  I stick things down with poster putty; so far no staining.  I don't glue things to carpets.

• Like 1

That's a nice looking house. I second the others, vacuum it and wipe it off.  You can use a soft brush on the shingles and siding. 

If it was assembled with hot glue (recommended a lot by manufacturers) it may have become fragile over the years. Get yourself a good wood glue or a craft glue, I like Tacky Glue (available at places like Hobby Lobby and Joann's) because it is thick and sets up fast.  Chip off any old glue, it will prevent you from getting a good bond the second time around. 

It's unlikely that the wiring works. It's hard to get good connections with the tape and they stop working without cause. 

Welcome to the madness! 

• Like 1