Arthur Roof

Roxxie2

Did anyone else have problems with the Arthur roof?   Why didn't they give me one roof piece for the front instead of the two separate pieces that I can't get to line up no matter what I do????
:dunno:   My only thought now is to cut my own roof piece from foam board. 

2 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

Did anyone else have problems with the Arthur roof?   Why didn't they give me one roof piece for the front instead of the two separate pieces that I can't get to line up no matter what I do????
:dunno:   My only thought now is to cut my own roof piece from foam board. 

Did you read the Team Arthur blog?  I think I ended up taping things together and I think I still had enough of a gap along the ridgeline that after I put scrap wood or bamboo skewers or whatever I used I still used the kit gingerbread roof trim on it to finish filling the gap.  Fortunately my DIL #2 liked the gingerbread...

• Like 2

As I recall, I had to adjust and trim the tabs and cut the slots bigger quite a bit to make the roof work.  Then I put thin 5/8" trim on the front side to cover the gap.  This is painted the same color as the house body and blends in nicely.  The shingles cover any other problems.  Good luck!

• Like 1

I've never had a problem like this with any of the GL or Corona houses before.  I almost always use strip wood of some kind because I like clean trimmed edges with no cracks that show light through them inside or outside the house.  I just never had one where the roof was so badly fitting.  I traced the two roof pieces last night to make a single roof piece  and am going to try that.   I am worried that it won't support the gable and the shingles. I wonder if it would warp? 

Don't know if you've had a chance to check out Gina's (More Minis) site for building the Arthur or not. Check out the link to that build. It shows the roof pieces the way she did it. Maybe it might help you. I've not built the Arthur from GL so I'm not much help other than pointing you to Gina's blog.

• Like 1

Ah ha!    I see she glued and clamped the pieces together.   I actually glued the two pieces together but when I fit them onto the house they still left huge gaps so I took them apart. Of course I ripped the wallpaper on one side so I have to do some camouflage there as I don't have any more of the paper.  lol  You would think that this is my first build the way its going.  Funny because I was congratulating myself up until the roof disaster about how nicely all the walls and floors fit, no warping etc.   Of course Gina is a master her builds are always perfect. 

I got tired of fighting with it so I glued that bugger down crooked gaps and all.......you never saw someone use so much tape in your life!   I don't own clamps.    It is what it is and I have a lot of strip wood to fill holes and gaps. 

Interesting idea but it doesn't exactly fit with my theme.    I got the roof on the best its going to be but then discovered that the gable was way off on the front.  After wrestling with that, I had a brain fart ( can I say that on here??) and reversed the gable roof pieces and voila they fit much closer.    I am inside now on the second floor using wood strips to make kind of moldings that fill the light cracks on the inside.   I usually do the same on the outside with all my houses just to make them look neat.   Anyway,   I haven't decided if I will put on the front porch or finish it kind of like that special edition Arthur that GL use to sell.  I think it was lavender in color in the advertisement.  I am thinking of going that way.