Seattle Miniature Show March 5th & 6th

OK, everyone in the Seattle/Puget Sound/Portland area, the Seattle Miniature show is on March 5th and 6th at the Double Tree Suites in Tukwila, WA. Saturday 10am to 5 pm and Sun 10am to 4pm.

Admission is $7.

It also looks like there will be a charge for parking. I haven't been to this site yet, so if anyone knows anything about it, including the parking fees, please let us know.

I was hoping a bunch of us from here could get together on either Saturday or Sunday and meet at the show, and then go out to eat afterwards.I know I will only be able to go over one day, but I'm flexible, so if anyone wants to get together, please post what day would be the most convenient for you here in the thread. Also, if someone knows a good place to eat (maybe a cheap place to eat), sing out! There are so many people from Washington and Oregon here on the forum, it would be great to be able to meet you all if we could. I know the Oregon show is in the fall, so maybe those who can't get up here from Oregon for this show, we could make some plans to meet you all next fall at that show. What do you think?

I have not logged in for awhile, but I have been reading posts on a regular basis.  My husband and I are going to the Seattle Miniature Show.  We have planned to be there when they open the doors on Saturday AM.  I like to make a somewhat quick tour of the booths looking for bargains.  One year I was able to buy some older issues of miniature magazines and a few cheaper miniature pieces at a very good price.  I am not a very big spender when it comes to miniatures.

We also planned to stop at area thrift stores after the show.  Maybe, we can be flexible and change our plans.

Didn't go last year, but did go the year before.  The year we went there was no charge for parking, but perhaps there is this year.  There is a $1.00 off coupon on the Seattle Miniature Show webpage.  Also, last Saturday went to CJN Miniatures in Edmonds and she is giving the same coupon out in her store.  While shopping there, she did say is only bringing artisan pieces to the show, but her store which has quite a variety of miniatures and wide price range will also be open that weekend.     

• Like 1

I won't be going, BUT I just wanted to share because I love going to shows: When I have gone to shows with other miniaturists, we look at the vendors booths together and then we split up to do our own shopping at our own pace in a second round. And my favorite part is that we all sit down after shopping and do a big show and tell of our purchases. We usually spend 4-5 hours at the show. Going to a show in a group can be tons of fun.

Kelly, I am brainstorming.  So here are three possibilities:

1)  We can meet up at the miniature show with you if you plan to be there Saturday AM and have lunch together somewhere nearby.

2)  Or we could meet you (and Lisa_F if she wants to join us) on the 7:20AM Bremerton ferry.  You could walk on and drive off the ferry with us.   We can PM details of that later.  We will get to Tukwila early, but we could have coffee if others want to join us over there.   OR we could make a quick stop at Value Village and/or Half Price Books then head over to the miniature show to be there at opening.

3)  Or we could meet you (and Lisa_F if she wants to join us) on the 8:45AM Bremerton ferry.  We would drive directly to the show as the doors will be open by the time we arrive. 

Spend a few hours at the show, then have lunch.  Open to suggestions for lunch, but we usually eat at McDonald's.  Although, I am not happy with McDonald's right now as they no longer have the chicken wraps.  After lunch we could stop at A1 Miniatures on Well Street in Renton.  I would call first to be sure they are open.  I have always thought it might be interesting to stop in there as they do advertise that they are also a dollhouse miniature museum in addition to sales.  They do have a web site.

We would drive around the sound and drop you back off in Bremerton.

Christine ... I wanna join y'all. Sounds like great fun! Unfortunately, the 2800-mile trip from New Orleans might put us a tad late at the ferry. :(

McDs is also on my s^*)*^# list for dropping the chicken wraps. The chipotle BB'd grilled was the only thing on their menu that I'd eat. Haven't stepped inside one for months, since they dropped it from the menu. The first time I ordered one after it was gone from the menu, the chirpy clerk suggested I get one with ranch dressing and add ketchup. Yukk.

I like #2 myself. Lisa will be there if I have to kidnap her. Let me see what CJ is doing as well - she's in Allyn. I was thinking of driving over with Lisa, but as I said, I'm flexible and your plan about visiting the miniature store is sounding lots better than mine. McDonald's is always fine with me.

I will check with Lisa tonight and see what she says and also send a message to CJ. Let's wait and hear from as many people as possible for now, and finalize our plans around the 1st. Then we have time to change them if we need to. How does that sound?

I just got my work calendar for March and am scheduled to work that weekend. But I sent an email to my boss to see if someone else would be available to take Sunday, which would free me to go to the show. I have jumped in with both feet and signed up as a vendor the NAME convention in July (Seattle) so would really like to go to this one first. 

If I can get off work, I would be glad to carpool (I drive) with the Peninsula ladies. I drive and work over there all the time, and have been to CJN's place. Sunday would be the only day I could make it. Going to Tukwila, near the airport, it's just as easy to drive around. The hotel is right off the freeway, easy access, and that would avoid all the downtown mess in Seattle. 

Yeeks! I'm already behind contacting people and figuring out how this is going to work.

But let's add another dimension to this: if the NAME convention is going to be in Seattle, maybe we can also meet up together for that as well. So those who can't go to the miniature show this spring might be able to make it to Name in July (CJ - thanks for that info!).

• Like 1

Update on my schedule - I will not be able to go. There are three events at work on the same weekend, and my boss can't spare me. Which is why I never get to go to the Spring Miniature Show in Seattle!  So you who can go - have fun! 

So how is Sunday looking, everyone? Christine, are you OK for a Sunday? It looks like most people are leaning towards Sunday, but I haven't heard from a lot of people yet. And as I say, I'm still flexible. Not as in I can touch my toes or anything, but I could still go either day.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, it looks like Saturday is the day Christine and Lisa and I will be going, barring anything happening. Who else here wants to try to meet up at the show? I don't know if they'll do this, but I am going to ask if they will make an announcement over the intercom for any Greenleaf members to meet someplace. I think they can do that, but we'll see.

If you are in the Seattle area, the Seattle Miniature show continues tomorrow.  Though I did not connect with Kelly and Lisa at the show today, I had a wonderful time and got some fantastic bargains on used and also NIB old stock items at the NAME booth and from another exhibitor.  I am not a member of NAME, but the women I met at this booth today were so pleasant it makes me think about looking into becoming a member.  Really everyone I talked with today was pleasant.

I don't spend a lot on miniatures, but today my husband carried three loads out to the truck for me as I kept digging through boxes and bins and talking with exhibitors.  Now I have so many kits to put together (HoM furniture kits, a porch kit, Reallife kitchen and bathroom kit).  I even bought a (used) gluing jig that so many on this forum have talked about.  I even bought beautiful real dollhouse wallpaper.  I even bought (on and on I could go).  I came home so excited.

Christine, you hit the mother lode.  I loved the miniature shows I've attended because they can be real treasure hunts, especially when the local sponsoring group goes through their respective stashes and brings out the goodies for sale.

What Holly said. And what you said about pleasant folks at the show. I think miniaturists in general are happy, pleasant people. Haven't met any, on line or in person, who might be labeled otherwise. :) 

Christine, I finally did get hold of Lisa and we ended up at the show today, although of course we got lost a few times trying to get there. You must have the weather gods on your side. We came out and it was just pouring! I just sat down on the curb and decided to wait till the storm passed, as I had had just about enough of walking in a deluge.

I will bet anything you met the same two ladies we did at the corner table? They had a bunch of Miniature Collector, Nutshell News, and NAME Gazettes there in four boxes that had been donated to them and they were selling them for 10¢ each because they didn't want to carry the boxes out with them. Lisa had already gone through those and I started to do the same and then thought, "Oh, what the hell" and asked if I could just buy the entire collection (I left the Nutshell News because thanks to a member here, I have a bunch of those and I didn't want to duplicate any). I am now the proud owner of 193 more magazines (I think Lisa ended up with 25, including the hard copy of Brooke Tucker's rooms). The only other thing I brought home was a little butterfly and a couple sheets of wallpaper. I wanted another dandelion, but I didn't see any.

Needless to say, I think I won't be worrying about having anything to read for the next couple of decades. The magazines fill two whole boxes and where I'm going to put them, I have no idea. I do know some of them are duplicates, but that's OK. I'll be dropping those off at doctors' offices when I have my appointments and basically spreading the word that way.

We DEFINITELY have to get together at the NAME show!

Cyn, I'm going to bring them up to my room this evening sometime and go through them either tonight or tomorrow and see what's there. So I'll let you know via PM what I find.

I also forgot to mention that Lisa bought me the cutest daisy in a jar of water. Naturally, it's going on the shelf of the Glencroft.