Update Harrison

Lanie

30 years ago my father made 3 Harrison doll houses for each of his granddaughters.  My daughter received one of the houses.  I would now like to refinish the house so my granddaughter can enjoy it as much as she did.

The wallpaper has been removed and, although there is wiring, the ceiling fixtures do not light.  What would be the best way to troubleshoot the wiring?  I am tempted to pull the tape from all the walls, but I am open to suggestions at this point.

Also, has anyone tried to update the look of the Tudor to something a little more contemporary?  I feel this house is my "fixer upper" and I would like to bring it into our times for her.

Hi Elaine and welcome. I have two 'Tudors'.......one I'm currently working on but both set in the present day as shops. In fact whatever the type of building I do it's always set in the present!

Youl'll get some great tips and advice here from a great bunch of people so enjoy!

Welcome Lanie, I don't know anything about wiring either, but I wanted to welcome you here.

Gosh, I don't think I'd want to change it from a Tudor, but it could easily be made to look like a Swiss or German Alpine half timbered house if you don't want it to be Tudor, and that would change the feeling of the house.

edit: I found some pages of modern half timbered interiors by googling. Here is one page where you can click on the photos:

http://www.hearthstonehomes.com/html/timberframe-gallery.html

• Like 1

image.jpeg.8cb01161bc5619b67a705aa029ad5Hi lanie, So glad to see new dollhouse enthusiast. I have experience in wiring I recommend you buy a tester for tape wire there Inexspensive 2 prongs with a test light you would push the prongs through the tape starting as close to plug as possible check to see were you lost power were ever that intersection of tape is you will need to re brad that intersection and move along and repeat that process as needed there is no need to remove the old brads just relocate making sure to hit both overlaping tape I think this will solve your problem however you may need a new transformer if you find that there is no power to the very first piece of tape leaving the power source. 

Edited by hofco house
To show my latest house
  • Like 1