What's for dinner?

rodentraiser

4 hours ago, kellee said:

Slop on a Shingle with Mashed potatoes !!!!

Not exactly sure what "slop on a shingle" is, but there was a video clip on Facebook about a little boy, maybe a year and a half old, with a Sloppy Joe sandwich on his highchair tray.  He looked at it closely, lifted off the top bun, and announced his decision - "Poop, Mommy!  This is poop!"  And no way was he going to eat it!  :rofl:

• Like 1

Creamed chip beef on toast used to be referred to as "s**t on a shingle", so I think Kellee might have meant an expurgated version of that.  We hit our favorite lunch pot in Foley today after dropping off all our tax stuff at the accountant's, and I had their version of a reuben; a patty melt on rye toast that was heavenly.  Tonight's supper will be light.

Chicken parmesan today. After having veal parmesan at a very good local Italian restaurant I realized what I had been doing wrong all these years. The dish tastes so much better if you let the breaded cooked chicken bake a little while enrobed in sauce and cheese. 

Yesterday was meatloaf. That and spaghetti sauce are my 2 go to meals when I don't feel like thinking about the recipe for dinner. I can make those 2 dishes on automatic drive. No planning or thinking involved. Otherwise I'm one of those cooks who needs a good recipe to follow.

I have a Moosewood recipe for a stuffed eggplant that I used to take off on shrimp pireaux that was tasty, so I have acorn squash halves in the oven now to try them; DH called them "squash coracles" when I described it to him.

On Thursday, February 18, 2016 4:05:09, havanaholly said:

Kelly how do you make your tuna melt?  That sound yummy.

Hi Holly, sorry I haven't been here for a few days.

Basically, my tuna melts are just grilled cheese sandwiches with tuna on them. A 6 oz can used to make 2 sandwiches using regular bread. Now that the cans are down to 5 oz, I get that extra wide bread, like Orowheat or something similar. A 5 oz can of tuna will fit nicely on that bread, making one largish sandwich.

I just mix a can of tuna with maybe a tablespoon or so of mayonnaise and a teaspoon or so of sweet relish and then spoon it on the bread and add a slice or two of cheese on top. Then I just make it like a grilled cheese sandwich, buttering the outside of the bread first and cooking it in a fry pan. I try to keep the tuna mix a little dry, so I don't add that much mayonnaise. If there's too much it gets sloppy to flip in the pan.

You could add anything you want to the tuna mix, salt, pepper, paprika, parsley, whatever your taste buds desire.

I make chicken salad sandwiches the same way, except instead of relish, I add chopped celery and toasted almonds along with the mayonnaise.

By the way, the regular Albacore tuna from Trader Joe's is the best. I pay about $1.69 a can when I go there, but it really tastes much better than anything you get the supermarket.

What is a Moosehead recipe?

Dinner last night was hamburger in chicken flavored Rice-a-Roni. Tonight I think I'm making a either a Balsamic BBQ glazed pork roast or a Chinese BBQ pork roast. Depends on which one looks easier. I have the rest of the potatoes I need to get rid of as well. I'm not sure if they're even safe to eat, so I better check those out.

Kelly, the recipe I started from is for Transylvanian  eggplant casserole from the Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant cookbook.  I prepped the acorn squash halves as I did the eggplant halves and simplified the rest of the process to accommodate various fillings.

The last time we stayed at Pirate's Cove in Cedar Key we had supper one night at a little restaurant across the street and the chef asked us to try a new recipe she had just made up, acorn squash soup.  Of course it was divine, and I managed to duplicate it when we got home.

Yesterday I found a recipe for a traditional Hungarian goulash which I'm going to try out tonight. I already have 2 goulash recipes, one is from the 50's, the other from the 70's, both fine, but very different from each other. This new one is supposed to be more like a thick soup. The ingredients are similar to a steak & peppers recipe I tried a few weeks ago which was pretty good.  

DH groans or makes faces  when I say I'm making goulash. It's stew, he says. I reply, there's basic American stew, Hungarian stew, Italian stew, German stew, French stew - all different from one another.

10 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Well, I'm relieved. I thought maybe you were cooking something like a real moose head or something. I couldn't imagine......and I have a pretty vivid imagination! *pictured Holly turning a moose head on a spit*

So, I'm sitting here at my daughter's, something random is in on tv, and I hear Moose Head, so I lost k and they are making moose soup!! And talking about how much meat the head provides... So there ya go!

3 hours ago, grazhina said:

Yesterday I found a recipe for a traditional Hungarian goulash which I'm going to try out tonight. I already have 2 goulash recipes, one is from the 50's, the other from the 70's, both fine, but very different from each other. This new one is supposed to be more like a thick soup. The ingredients are similar to a steak & peppers recipe I tried a few weeks ago which was pretty good.  

DH groans or makes faces  when I say I'm making goulash. It's stew, he says. I reply, there's basic American stew, Hungarian stew, Italian stew, German stew, French stew - all different from one another.

Hungarians goulash is really good. You need some decent paprika :)

I guess I am having the Balsamic Pork Roast again tonight (and tomorrow night), since it made 4 portions and I need to eat it before it goes bad. And somehow I think the baked potatoes won't freeze well. Note to self: Cut up the pork roast next time!

Next time I may make this balsamic sauce with chicken and have it over rice.