What's for dinner?

rodentraiser

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Supper here can be Cheerios and banana or other breakfast foods. 

I spent a good bit of time this morning scooping up microwave recipes from the internet. :) 

Kathie, I still have Wolfie's recipe for the microwave Mug Cake, if you want it.

We have a Lamb and Pear Tagine with Couscous.......I know that because I've just been caramelising the pears!........We take turn and turn about at the stove!

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Kathie, I still have Wolfie's recipe for the microwave Mug Cake, if you want it.

Thanks, but I have it -- been keeping it close. :D

Mike ... you can come cook at my house any time! 

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

Thanks, but I have it -- been keeping it close. :D

Mike ... you can come cook at my house any time! 

27 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I was just thinking the same thing!  I have some chicken andouille sausage calling our names.

Saved you both some......it's in the freezer!

8 hours ago, suej said:

Thanks Selkie.. I was feeling intimidated by all these wonderful meals.  Now I can share my Fried Bologna Sandwich with cheese and mustard:-))) I do live in the South (U.S.) for sure.

Don't be intimidated. All the meals I've been making are simply the result of my finally cleaning up my list of bookmarks that I have to all the meals I've been wanting to try. They're really your plain old plain old, just with fancy names. Like Parmesan crusted Chantilly potatoes. It sounds exotic, but it's nothing more than mashed potatoes under a Parmesan crust.

And a cheddar cheese potato and ham casserole with white sauce is nothing more than me using up the ham and the potatoes (before I have to toss them out)  and throwing some white cheddar cheese over the top. I'm not even sure it's going to be edible.

I remember the day we invited a friend to have lunch and I fixed pan-seared salmon fillets with  yogurt dill sauce, pasta tossed with cheese and a salad, and we visited whilst I cooked, and when I served the plates she said, "I didn't even see you cook that!"  It doesn't have to be fancy to be good, and it certainly isn't brain surgery!

Tonight I cut sirloin steak into strips and let it sit in a lime marinade. I've had the recipe for years but tonight I changed it a little  DS thought it was ok, DH thought it was so-so, but I liked it better than the old way. I topped the meat with sauteed onions, peppers and mushrooms, then a bit of shredded cheddar and mozzarella. We also had salad and baked potatoes.

Since it's snowing I think it calls for a soup day. I have some vegetable barley soup (pre-made but not by me) in the fridge. I'll be thawing out a skirt steak, cooking it up and adding it to the soup with a little beef broth for richness. Trying out a recipe for tapioca flour cheese buns to go with.

I'm in the mood for macaroni and cheese. DH is low carbing, won't touch mac & cheese. He was going to go play poker down in New Hampshire today, so I went out early this morning to the farm store to pick him up a nice steak. I never know when he'll be home on poker days. It can be anywhere from 4:30 to 6:30. So, he'll be having rib eye, and Jake & I will mac & cheese it - unless I change my mind in the next hour. :ermm::dunno::eatyum:

Yesterday was grocery shopping day. Six stores and 4 hours later, I finally decided to just throw a chicken breast in the oven. I've had salt roasted chicken, but this time I had a split breast with skin on it and decided to see how it would work. I salted it with Kosher salt and roasted it on a little rack over the cookie sheet for 45 minutes at 425°. It was delicious and not at all dried out.

But today, I got a late start to the day (up all night, doctor's appointment in the morning, home at noon, back to bed and slept till 5pm) and decided to just throw a frozen pizza in the oven and eat an apple for dessert. That's it.

I did try some of the blueberries I got from Trader Joe's before I came home this morning. Last month, these same blueberries were heavenly, so this time I got two packages. And this time they taste like mush. So I'm going to return them. If they don't take them back and refund my money, I guess I'm going to toss them. They taste horrible!

On Thursday, February 04, 2016 3:05:50, havanaholly said:

I remember the day we invited a friend to have lunch and I fixed pan-seared salmon fillets with  yogurt dill sauce, pasta tossed with cheese and a salad, and we visited whilst I cooked, and when I served the plates she said, "I didn't even see you cook that!"  It doesn't have to be fancy to be good, and it certainly isn't brain surgery!

Beg to differ. With me, cooking is brain surgery. And I haven't trained to be a neurosurgeon, either! LOL I am seriously thinking of starting my own cooking videos called Cooking with Kelly and they will show you all the things that can happen when you aren't a world class chef. Like the time I accidentally pushed the bag of flour off the counter. Or the time I was making donuts and decided to cool the oil in the same metal bowl I had made the dough in - said oil promptly cooked all the remaining donut dough on the sides of the bowl and bubbled up and over the edge of the bowl to spill all over my counter and my floor. Or, hey! There's the time the napkin I was holding caught on fire.

Now that was funny. I have a smoke alarm on the wall of my ktichenette and it goes off every time I open the oven door. But when I caught this napkin on fire, first I blew on it. That didn't work. Then I shook it a second. That didn't work. Finally I threw it on the floor and stomped on it. That worked. And the smoke alarm? Not a peep.

:rofl:Oh Kelly! I know just what you mean. The first year I did Thanksgiving, I was basting the turkey and as I was pushing it back into the oven, the edge of my pot holder brushed the oven coil. Of course it caught fire, but the alarm didn't go off. I just looked down at my hand very calmly and thought "the pot holder's on fire" tossed it into the sink and turned on the water. Problem solved by abnormal calm. Then one year when I had moved into a condo and was just starting to get the hang of that oven I was roasting some lamb. I swear to God, that smoke alarm, located in the hallway, away from the kitchen kept going off every 2 minutes like clockwork. I finally got so fed up with it, I practically ripped the sucker out of the ceiling. Problem solved!

I stand (back up) corrected, I ought to have been more specific;  making edible food need not be brain surgery.  Being a kitchen klutz isn't in the same category, and I have had some doozy experiences.

Today I am making a "rich and creamy"  pasta sauce with the base of garlic and herbs soft spread cheese, not sure what to call it, yellow sweet peppers, sour créme and coeur de fillet that I have cut inåt smaller pieces and just hastily fried in a oil sprayed skillet prior to adding it to the creamy sauce. Some pasta and steam cooked sågar snaps, broccoli and green asparagus to accompany it with.

hugs

What's for lunch-dinner: my take on this recipe for zucchini rice casserole. I've made it a few times and have figured out to saute and season the squash, use Zatarain's seasoned rice, add a dash of crushed red pepper, and bake an extra 15 minutes. Cheese condensed soup is a good substitute for cream of mushroom, also. Not too bad if I do say so myself. :p (I am not a good cook-- no intuition.)

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I stand (back up) corrected, I ought to have been more specific;  making edible food need not be brain surgery.  Being a kitchen klutz isn't in the same category, and I have had some doozy experiences.

Cynthia and Holly, I guess we can't really beat Julia Child when she dropped her food on the floor and just went on with the show!

*burning a pizza in the oven now*

9 hours ago, Anna said:

Today I am making a "rich and creamy"  pasta sauce with the base of garlic and herbs soft spread cheese, not sure what to call it, yellow sweet peppers, sour créme and coeur de fillet that I have cut inåt smaller pieces and just hastily fried in a oil sprayed skillet prior to adding it to the creamy sauce. Some pasta and steam cooked sågar snaps, broccoli and green asparagus to accompany it with.

hugs

Would I be really presumptuous to ask for the recipe for your pasta sauce? I picked up a garlic and chive cream cheese spread from the store and this sounds like a perfect way to use it.

16 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Would I be really presumptuous to ask for the recipe for your pasta sauce? I picked up a garlic and chive cream cheese spread from the store and this sounds like a perfect way to use it.

Afcourse not! I used fillet of boef but i supplies one could use chicken breast/fillets as well. 

I cut the fillets first in slides and then in pieces (sort of like think fries) fry those up in a skillet with high sides as I will continue use this plan for the rest of the cooking as well. When the meat has a nice crisp look i add the cream and yellow peppers (those i have just cut into slices and smaller pieces, sort of like a inch by 1/4 inch, when the cream has melted i add the chees allow to summer for a while, add a crunshed clove of garlic, freshly ground black pepper and while pepper along with a dash of sea salt. Allow to summer 15-20 minutes on low heat to let the sweetness from the yellow pepper to blend with the creamy-cheese sauce too.

serve with whatever greena you like and pasta. One of those Quick and one-pot dishes I kind of like.

hugs