HELP!!!!!!!!!

lybbienoel

Sob story. My dad died when I was four. He was in the process of building me this doll house when he passed. My mom let me play with it as a kiddo and between moving several times, numerous children, bad storage and at some point a horrible paint job.... well you can tell it is in bad shape. It is because of sentimental reasons that I am going to start this restoration project. I understand it would be much easier to start from scratch but it is important to me that my kiddos get to play with this dollhouse.

That being said. I am going to start with the exterior. I need to know where I might find new roof pieces. Not detail pieces like the actual pieces that are not there anymore..... I have no idea what this model is or where to begin looking. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

20160118_123158_resized_1.jpg

20160118_123206_resized_1.jpg

Elizabeth, take some time to introduce yourself in the Newcomers Forum.

Measure the thickness of the wood and check your big box hardware store or lumber yard for pieces of birch plywood that thickness.  I like to use scraps of old cardboard box to make pattern pieces for missing wood parts.  I just lay the piece of cardboard over the hole and trace around it with a dark pencil or 'sharpie pen, add 1/2" or so to the outside  and use a cork-backed steel straight edge and my utility knife with a new sharp blade to cut the pattern (self-healing cutting mats are available wherever quilting supplies are sold).

What a wonderful house with a wonderfully sentimental story!  :)  I would have suggested a similar response as Holly about the roof pieces....and as for the balcony railing, you may have to use the current pieces as a template to create a new front railing piece.  Carefully remove one using a heat gun.

It looks like this house is 1/8" plywood. It's a great house, and I am so glad you are going to restore it, especially because your father put so much love into it. I agree, do what Holly said, and make a template out of posterboard first. It will be fun to watch as you turn it into a beautiful home!

I found your house, it's an Artply Franklin! http://rockawayrosedollhouse.blogspot.com/2012/10/house-16-unidentified-greenleaf.html

scroll down to see the house!

edit: I see that was on Arianna's website, I had never been there before, I found it by googling artply and looking for a house like this!

Sable, I have gotten a 1/8" plywood sheet from Lowe's that I cut off new parts and pieces for bashing, all the time.  /that's why I mentioned carefully measuring the thickness of the wood on the rest of the roof pieces that are there.

11 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Sable, I have gotten a 1/8" plywood sheet from Lowe's that I cut off new parts and pieces for bashing, all the time.  /that's why I mentioned carefully measuring the thickness of the wood on the rest of the roof pieces that are there.

Holly, you are correct and I think you said that Lowes or HD will do some cuts for you. I only look for 1/4" and thought that's the thinnest  they offered. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a Habitat Restore in your area? I got a 2'x4' piece of 1/8" burch for 25 cents, it lasted thru several builds. It's great place to get this and that and buying there for my dollhouses helps people get people size homes.

Our ReStores don't do much with lumber.  I got my first rolls of the iron-on wood veneer edging at a ReStore in VA, haven't seen any here.  I do find paint and stains at our Habitat stores here, though; and we furnished part of our house from there.