Swap time!

chesterfieldzoo

I'm thinking this will be a 1/12 scale swap.

Erin, it's fun and easy. People sign up, you make that many items and send them to me, I repackage and send one of everyone's item to everyone who sent them to me. It's like christmas, And it's secret, so you never know what you are going to get back.

2 hours ago, smjsome said:

I am interested, but I'm not sure my skill level is high enough to make gifts

I'm glad to see this comment. I've participated in a few swaps that included at least one item that was pretty crudely done. I have a feeling that because of her expressed concern, Sharon would consider the theme of the swap and think carefully about what kind of item she could make with her most polished skills and work extra hard to see that whatever she offered would be a welcome inclusion in any doll house. Would that everyone itching to jump on the swap wagon were that thoughtful! 

Really folks, if your skill level isn't good-enough-to-sell-at-a-major-miniature-show quality or if you're the kind of person who leaves things to the last minute and slaps your offerings together in sloppy haste or haven't made a deadline in the past decade or so, then please don't even think about participating. 

Side note for those unfamiliar with swaps: Deana said to make as many items as there are people signed up. She won't send one of your items back to you. The person who honchos a swap gets to keep a set. It's little enough thanks for the hassles involved -- that is, nagging slow pokes, storing contributions, repackaging and mailing, etc. Also, for those unfamiliar with swaps, there is usually a theme. It could be a holiday, a particular room, an architectural period, etc. And of course, money to cover the postage to send your swap goodies to you should be included when you submit your items.

• Like 1

What Kathie said!

In regards to themed swaps: I'm currently obsessed with architectural details.... I've been thinking of sculpting either flourishes, wall brackets, column tops - things like that (because they are sooooo expensive. Would anyone be interested in that? Let's say a ceiling rosette or a pair of brackets, a flourish for a fireplace, a picture frame?

Among other things I'm working on fireplace mantles (currently waiting for molding material) and - hopefully - in a few weeks I'll be able to make the molds for plaster mantles.

Watcha all think?

I guess it would depend on the theme- I have some abilities with Christmas items, things like that.  I guess I should say, I have some confidence in myself in a holiday type theme, but, if it was a floral theme, not so much 

51 minutes ago, smjsome said:

I guess it would depend on the theme- I have some abilities with Christmas items, things like that.  I guess I should say, I have some confidence in myself in a holiday type theme, but, if it was a floral theme, not so much 

smjsome- I am so lad you piped up! I have made some things for myself, and I've put somethings together that I'd put on Listia (kinda like Ebay) but I've never considered myself skilled enough to sell anything.

I'm certainly willing to try but I'd need to find something to make that I wouldn't be ashamed to contribute.

So far the swaps I've hosted have been a free for all. I give the scale, you make what you want as long as it is NOT a holiday item. So far I don't think anything has come through that has not been universal for any house or time period. If we hit at least 6 people we will do a swap.

It doesn't matter what the item COSTS to make - only that it should be VALUED at about $8-10 if you were to sell it.

• Like 1

After reading all of these posts, I think I may have to sit this one out :(  I am skilled at needlework, and I sell items on Etsy (non miniature) that I paint, but I'm paranoid now that my items wouldn't be up to snuff.  Maybe if there is one this summer when I don't have teaching stress I'll be able to participate.

Chris, that's a great idea for a swap item if it's general enough that all the other participants are able to use it. 

Sharon, swaps are a golden opportunity to polish your skills, since you will be making however many of the items that there are participants.  If you can find any of Helen

Ruthberg's books (used, they were published by Chilton Books and are, alas! long out of print, but copies are floating around) they are slap full of accessories easy to make from found materials.  As long as Deana doesn't burn out there will be future opportunities to participate.

Vickie, Start now making little accessories.  My first swap item was for an autumn-themed swap:

gallery_8_5_17320.jpg

I found packets of wee baskets in some place like Michael's.  all the baskets I sent in for the swap had wee gourds along with the apples; Wally World had the packets of teensy gourds in different shapes & colors that I have never seen since, and there were only enough for l the other people in the swap.  I stuffed a little bit of moss I'd found in the floral section of a big box craft store.

The apples are some red beads I salvaged from an old necklace.  I threaded a needle with a long single strand of brown embroidery floss, tied a fat granny knot and dunked it into a puddle of Elmer's all-purpose glue, threaded a bead. dripped a tiny drop of glue into the top hole and cut the floss; and repeated this until I had filled all my little baskets.  This is not something to stress over!

• Like 2

I think I'd be interested in doing a swap, depending on the timeline. I did the NE State Day swap and got a bunch of fun items that you could tell people had put a lot of time and thought into, and a few things that were obviously bought from Hobby Lobby and dumped straight into a little baggie. It was a little disappointing to get those items, after I'd spent literally months coming up with my items.

I'm interested. I think I am ready to do this. I would need to see what the deadline is before fully committing.

Thanks for starting this topic - it has already made the gray day more interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

If real life intervenes, it's OK to withdraw from a swap, isn't it?

Sure ... but the sooner the better. Withdrawing close to the deadline isn't very considerate.