Driving myself crazy!!!

tlb5000

I have a furniture kit, it says to paint and then glue (reccomends hot glue) the furniture. So that's what I did. Idk if its me or what, but it looks horrible! My fiancé, tried building a piece with wood glue and then painting and it looks just as bad. Is there a glueing 101 I missed in school? I've never had this bad of results on other projects. Sorry, I needed to vent a little. Any glue advice is greatly appreciated. 

Glue syringes cannot be overrated in my opinion. I also would say avoid the hot glue. Typically when I have put together a piece of furniture I've preferred staining to painting, and then used wood glue in a syringe. If you are painting yours though, I would think you would be good using either wood glue or a good quality white/pva type glue. Wipe any excess away and let it dry solidly -- then try to paint it. Normally wood and glue work better without paint on it first... just my experience in the past.

• Like 1

Tarah, I apply wood glue (after sanding) with a pointed toothpick.  If I were staining I'd do that before gluing, but if I'm going to paint the furniture I'd glue it before staining.  I'd also sand it again after priming or staining.  I have a house with furniture I plan to rehab that was all built with hot glue, and it all looks horrible!  When I get done using our B&D heat gun I shall rebuild both house and furniture with wood glue!

• Like 1