painting furniture?

tlb5000

Newbie here. I've tried searching online and these forums, and I'm giving myself a headache. So forgive me if this has been asked before.

I recently picked up this furniture kit to go along with a dollhouse I plan on building. In the paperwork is says to use a "good quality satin finish latex house paint."  I am on a budget (almost all is being devoted to the actual dollhouse), and don't plan on these pieces being the permanent furniture for the house. Most of it I plan to stain, but a few I would like to paint. Just until I save up for better furniture, would I be able to use an acrylic craft paint on these pieces? 

Thank you in advance for your advice and feedback!

586019fa-121f-41a2-87b4-864c5e465d73.jpg

• Like 1

I used craft paint on mine and it was fine. If your worried about wear, use some sealant on it after you paint. Some of these pieces you can tweek with some fabric  like upholstering the headboard and chair seats and the plastic pieces, you can use tester brand paints.

• Like 1

I used craft paints on the furniture kits that I sent along with the houses I donated. Sanded between coats and sealed them.

My mother recently found my old dollhouse furniture from 20+ years ago. The kit pieces she would let me paint myself with her craft paint (she didn't bothering sealing them for obvious reasons), but the paint is still intact!

• Like 1

You might want to invest in a can of flat white interior latex to use as a primer.  Also, rubbing the rough edges with a bit of spackling compound on your finger and sanding it when it's dry will make for lovely smooth edges.  Here is how some of the furniture looks, painted and upholstered:

gallery_8_1103_196265.jpg

• Like 1

I use the regular craft paint for my painted furniture too. I also always buy the water based polyurethane varnish at Home Depot,  and pour it into glass jars so it will keep longer. Then you have a never ending supply of finish coat.

If you do that,  wipe the threads of the jar off when putting the lid on. If it sticks,  just run it under hot water to reopen the jar.