Father/Daughter Build: 1st timers

Sammy Ray

Just now, Sammy Ray said:

Awesome, thanks Sable.i thought about trying spray able knockdown on the interiors. An old one had any experience with that? You can get cans of it Lowes/Home Depot.

Ummm ... who you calling old, sonny?  <g>

Knockdown? Are you talking about Kilz to prep the flat surfaces for painting or wallpapering? That works. So does any kind of interior house paint, preferably flat or satin finish. Or gesso. In short, anything that will seal the wood to keep the chemicals from bleeding through to the surface decoration, whatever it may be.

• Like 1

Kathie, Knockdown is used here a lot on new homes. They spray globs of joint compound with a machine onto drywall, walls and ceilings. Then smooth the globs down to form a texture. (Knockdown the globs)

Personally, I don't care for it on my RL walls. The walls become dust collectors. And who wants to vacuum walls? It can also be hard on little knuckles.

• Like 1

I used joint compound to create very smooth walls and ceilings in one of my houses. This requires a lot of outdoor sanding with a sanding block once dry. You have to wait a few days to really make sure it is dry before sanding and adding primer and paint. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Ray said:

Lol.. yeah that autocorrect is something.. :) But yes knockdown is also sometimes called popcorn.. used in home to texture walls and ceilings. Cans of it are sold to help spot repair drywall in homes. 

Having not actually seen the result, I still somehow think the scale would be off. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Having not actually seen the result, I still somehow think the scale would be off. 

Popcorn is a little different. It can contain 'bits' in it. Plus it doesn't like to be painted. At least in Florida it doesn't. And yes, I think either form would be too thick and not to scale.

• Like 1