Best glue for MDF?

vbharrington

I've tried searching the forum for help with this, but to know avail.  I've decided to go ahead and buy the new, but open box San Franciscan 557 I found on Craig's list.  I talked to the construction teacher at the school I work at, and he told me that the only glue I would be able to use for the MDF is Gorilla Glue.  I hate all of the foaming that comes with Gorilla Glue, so can anyone suggest something else that will work on the MDF?  Thank you in advance. 

I'm building an MDF 3/8" thick dollhouse by Real Good Toys right now and the instructions say to use white tacky glue. And I am and it IS working perfectly. I've only had to take one piece off I decided wasn't quite level and I had to hit it with a hammer (with padding of course) several times to get it to come loose. I only resulted to the hammer when I couldn't pry it loose with my hands. Tacky glue is the way to go. I used Gorilla glue trying out my brass gluing skills on my chandlier and I really did not like it because it stayed flexible. 

Ya, I'm with you on the anti-gorilla glue. I've had way too many disasters with it. 

I use wood glue for all my construction whether it is mdf or plywood or regular wood. You can use the tube style construction adhesive if you think the weight is too much but I've never found the wood glue to be a problem for anything I've done. 

I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites. 

From the reading I've done on here, it seems to be the two most popular are both our faves: tacky glue and wood glue. Wood glue is the other other thing I'd consider if I didn't have the tacky glue. I agree, construction glue in a caulk style tube would work, but that's too cumbersome in my opinion and not needed when the other two work so well. 

Me too Shannon!   I used wood glue to glue the basic house together and tacky for the rest.   I just sold 2 of my RGT houses!  I am mostly building GL houses but my neighbor wanted two more sturdy ones for her grand daughters.   I am so happy that the girls will have fun with them.  They have been sitting packed in boxes for 4 years now so now some lucky children will get to use them!   :)

If anybody noticed the two-level curved roombox Emily (fov) is unloading in the Trading Post, I built that mdf roombox for the HBS contest and I also used Elmer's wood glue to build.  I would post a picture but it was in my "Dolls" album and apparently that album was a casualty of the gallery issues in this latest upgrade.

Another vote for wood glue. Besides all of the other reasons, wood glue is my preference for construction because it can be sanded, tacky glue can't.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!

As for Gorilla Glue ... I can't think of any reason I'd want to use a foaming, expanding substance on any of my minis.

Archived