How to make twine lights?

Luanne

Perhaps you still can use a balloon as a base? We have those water balloons that are smaller. Then perhaps button-hole thread dipped in a thinned out/watered down glue mix? 

Looking forward seeing what you come up with!

Hugs

Been thinking about this today while sorting and getting my craft area in somwhat presentabl/workable shape, so what if you do kot have to tale the inner "ball" ball away, you could use a teeny tiny glass Christmas ornament and wrap the thread around it?

Hugs

• Like 1

If you want an opaque interior, perhaps a ping pong ball would work?

I have used ping pong balls cut in half to make translucent modern shades. The size is good. I think, though, that she is trying for an empty interior.

You might possibly glue together some sugar cubes (with just a tiny dot so they would disintegrate) and then gently carve into a circle? You could dissolve in water or just poke at it and get it to crumble out. This is a challenge - I'll keep thinking too!

This does not specifically answer the original question posed here.

I found this blog entry about making your own lamps/lighting. Thought it might be a jumping off point for new ideas.

You might need to translate it if your browser doesn't automatically do it. The pictures do a great job explaining things. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much Selkie.  I am open to other ideas. I came across that blog a while back,  I will save this for my reference.

And you know what? I saw the  quail egg containers at my sister's house and thought, hm.. bowls or something? and now I I have 20 of them that I can test out some ideas. Thanks again.  :)   

Edited by Luanne

This does not specifically answer the original question posed here.

I found this blog entry about making your own lamps/lighting. Thought it might be a jumping off point for new ideas.

You might need to translate it if your browser doesn't automatically do it. The pictures do a great job explaining things. 

Wow, that was a great blog post. I'm bookmarking that!

Surely I'm not the only one who used to take the large piece of balloon after it popped and made a mini balloon from it?  We kids would take the piece of balloon and stretch it slightly, put our mouths on it and suck in to get the air, then shut the mouth and twist the rubber like crazy!  Take the mini ballon out of your mouth and tie off the twist, and wrap with thread dipped in glue until you have what you want, and when it's dry, pop the mini balloon and pull it out.

• Like 2

Sorry, havanaholly doesn't ever advise aspirating pieces of balloon.  As children we held tightly onto our bits of latex; I expect as an adult we can think of safer alternatives, like the mini attachment for the vacuum cleaner.  Another possibility is to inflate your blloon, let out some of the air and wist the balloon to retain enough air to make two or more "minis" from the balloon to use for the twine light globes.

• Like 1