Die stamped kit inconsistancies

CutnStuf

Has anyone else experienced inconsistencies such as lack of squareness in your die stamped kits? Examples: Hexagonal window frames and holes for windows don't line up, straight cuts on either side of tabs don't line up, some verticals and horizontals are not square, etc. Are laser cut kits more accurate?

One of the Buttercups I built early on had the offset diecut problem on the sheet with the piece with the bay; the offset between the two sides was more than 1/4" and as a fairly new builder without this forum it was an interesting fix... I would imagine the technology involved in laser cutting would create a more consistent product.

Yes!!! I'm building the Orchid right now, and the octagon window trim is not straight and even. The holes for the windows are, but not the trim. I don't think they're standard sized windows, so I will either have to putty and sand them until they fit, or make frames from scratch. The door frames are also not cut evenly-one side is 1/4" and the other is closer to 3/8". The rest of the kit has been fine, just the small trim pieces that are a little crazy.  

These kits do have some minor inconsistencies but they shouldn't be noticeable once assembled and finished. If the inconsistency is severe, like a Fairfield kit I bought once that had misshaped window trim, you can call Greenleaf for a replacement of the sheets with problems. It's rare for the die stamp to have severe inconsistencies though.

• Like 1

The only inconsistency with mine was the windows weren't totally punched through. When I went to use an exacto blade to finish getting the windows punched out, it was like cutting steel. Now I know why they called it the Greenleaf Steel Rule Die Corporation. :ohyeah:

But with a little arm wrestling, it all came out fine.

A utility knife (box cutter) with a new blade is a far better tool than an eXacto knife for freeing the not-quite-cut-through pieces from the background board. It can take more pressure than the flimsier eXacto blade and is slightly thicker, so it acts as a tiny wedge that helps pry the pieces apart. I also find that I have more control with the utility knife than the eXacto knife; the difference is between having a firm hand grip vs. a weaker finger grip, at least the way I hold these tools.