Another brick option

otterine

I was doing some experimenting and made a brick sample from wood skinny sticks and stippled on paint.  These are smoother than egg carton but take a fraction of the time.  They are best suited to flat walls and floors since you can't bend them around three dimensional objects.

Full write-up here:

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/the-quicker-brick

gallery_4679_4448_124542.jpg

• Like 5

This looks fantastic! Look so real.

I want to put a stone floor in and I was wondering if paper clay would work?????? Roll it out and put the indentions in for the tile. Maybe? I do have a question for you more experienced builders... do you put the flooring on a backer and glue that to the base or do you attach whatever the flooring is (tile, stone, hardwood, e

etc) directly onto the base? Thanks!

Kim

Thank you!  :D

I have used templates and I have applied bricks directly to the object/surface.  It depends on the circumstance and is just a personal preference.

• Like 1

I only use templates if I feel I would someday have to get to the electrical tape underneath it, like on a second floor connection to a first floor chandelier. Otherwise, I glue straight to the floor.

• Like 1

I use sandpaper for bricks, but Brae's method would work perfectly for painted brickwork.  The first time I did bricks I used templates (on the Glencroft pub), but since then I paint my surface grout color and apply the sandpaper bricks directly.

• Like 3

Love it!

I use a small foam roller to get that stippled look on walls. It helps to conceal flaws and wood grain, and gives just a wee bit of texture.

We almost bought a house that had a massive living room with a (vintage) brick floor. I have no idea what that would have been like to live with, but it was gorgeous and so unique.