BH Front door

clairevc

I gave up on the wee brass hinges; to install them properly (like on real doors) even countersinking them I found that they still bind like crazy;  I have used chamois and twill tape to hinge kit doors, an some folks use strips cut from Tyvek envelopes.  Since I've begun to make my own doors I pin-hinge them.

• Like 2

You sandwich and glue the tyvek (think express mail envelope) or cloth in between the 2 layers of trim and the wall on the one side and the 2 layers of the door pieces. Just use 2 or 3 small pieces, top, middle, bottom. Don't try to cover the whole edge. It gets too tight that way. Think little tabs that stick out and hitch the two sides together.

Depending on how you want it to swing (in or out) you choose which side of the wall/trim to use. Experiment with it first.

Chamois and cloth stretch a bit making the swing easier but also can add a tad bit of a droop as it stretches. Tyvek doesn't stretch at all. You have to fiddle a bit to get the right swing before it dries.

If the door does not have 2 pieces, you can add trim to the edges in a door type design that will suffice to hold it just like it does on the wall side.

Hope that helps.

I can't figure out pictures on my phone. Sorry.

I found a couple of tutorials on pinterest on making hinges which looked like a combination of what Holly does and the ones you buy with the annoyingly small nails. I would reference them for you, but did not bookmark them like I thought I did. Some have you actually cut the aluminum from a can... not my level. Then there was a great one with making a hinge for opening windows with cloth. If you have time, that was great because it has step by step visuals and explanations (I have a hard time visualizing things). 

• Like 1