clairevc

BH Front door

I want to hinge the front doors on the BH. Miniatures.com catalog on pg.15 have different hinges. I really don't know which one to purchase. Any suggestions? Thanks

When I use the kit doors I use chamois strips sandwiched between the door pieces and the trim and wall to hinge them.

• Like 1

Holly's suggestion is the best one for the thin Greenleaf doors. Any other hinge is too wide to attach and too delicate to stay put.

• Like 1

I gave up on the wee brass hinges; to install them properly (like on real doors) even countersinking them I found that they still bind like crazy;  I have used chamois and twill tape to hinge kit doors, an some folks use strips cut from Tyvek envelopes.  Since I've begun to make my own doors I pin-hinge them.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm trying to figure out how to do the chamois, twill tape??? Any pictures available???

You sandwich and glue the tyvek (think express mail envelope) or cloth in between the 2 layers of trim and the wall on the one side and the 2 layers of the door pieces. Just use 2 or 3 small pieces, top, middle, bottom. Don't try to cover the whole edge. It gets too tight that way. Think little tabs that stick out and hitch the two sides together.

Depending on how you want it to swing (in or out) you choose which side of the wall/trim to use. Experiment with it first.

Chamois and cloth stretch a bit making the swing easier but also can add a tad bit of a droop as it stretches. Tyvek doesn't stretch at all. You have to fiddle a bit to get the right swing before it dries.

If the door does not have 2 pieces, you can add trim to the edges in a door type design that will suffice to hold it just like it does on the wall side.

Hope that helps.

I can't figure out pictures on my phone. Sorry.

I hinged every door and all but one window in the Glencroft pub, which I built ten years ago and nothing sags.

OK I think I got the idea about using the tape. I can use the "tab system" in between layer of doors. That was a good explanation Selkie. Thanks 

I found a couple of tutorials on pinterest on making hinges which looked like a combination of what Holly does and the ones you buy with the annoyingly small nails. I would reference them for you, but did not bookmark them like I thought I did. Some have you actually cut the aluminum from a can... not my level. Then there was a great one with making a hinge for opening windows with cloth. If you have time, that was great because it has step by step visuals and explanations (I have a hard time visualizing things). 

• Like 1

Funny you mentioned duck tape.. I was wondering about masking tape? Same concept

don't think masking tape would be strong enough.  strapping tape maybe, but getting that stuff cut small enough would be a bear

• Like 1

asking tape and painter's tape are made to tear easily.  Duct tape and strapping tape are reinforced with fabric/ fibers and ought to be stronger.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.