easy tut for jams/preserves in 1:12 scale?

Can anyone recommend an easy tutorial for jams and preserves in mason jars?

I picked up sme of those tiny glass jars (that come w/ glitter for nail art) at Dollar Tree the other day, and I am working on putting together a fair/farmer's market type of scene, so I thought a little stand selling preserves would fit right in.

So I already have the tiny jars, just need some recommendations of how to make them look like they really have homemade jams inside them.

Well, I would use white wood glue with a touch of paint or food color and some fine sand to make jam and preserves and without sand for jelly. The glue will dry clear and the color will stay and the texture should give the illusion of fruit. Try one or two in a clear straw or small plastic bottle cap to see what it looks like before putting it in the jars. Let us know how it works out.

• Like 2

Erin, Deborah, that link you put up with the eraser molds, a person could use that Same idea only make the piece shorter, sides leave straight..lids even with the edge to look like jelly jars!

Kelley that happens to me all the time....I make mini foods from time to time so if my kids call and ask me what I am doing, if I say I am making pies, they always have to ask me real Pies or mini pies mom?!

I feel kind of bad cause I know they would like me to make real pies lol

Well, I would use white wood glue with a touch of paint or food color and some fine sand to make jam and preserves and without sand for jelly. The glue will dry clear and the color will stay and the texture should give the illusion of fruit. Try one or two in a clear straw or small plastic bottle cap to see what it looks like before putting it in the jars. Let us know how it works out.

I ended up using DocGreen's idea, with a slight modification. Instead of using sand, I just used the tiny little pearl-like beads that came in the jars originally. I did 2 last night. The beads inside were red and pink, so I used some modpodge (couldn't find the wood glue) and a dab of red paint and stirred them with a toothpick.

They look OK, although I think I need to use less paint so that they will have a more transluscent look.

Maybe if I put some labels on the jars, then they will look a little better.

I have to admit, I am wondering how some Nerds candy would look in them, maybe give a more chunky appearance to the fruit pieces?

• Like 1

You might consider using transparent water color paint; big box hobby stores carry the "starter" sets with small tubes they put on sale from time to time, or you could invest in the pan type and swirl generously with water.

I have also used gallery glass paint, atleast that is what I think it is called, minor brain fog today ;)

Although it might have to be filled again as it tends to get a slight intendation in hte middle when drying but works well with,"fillings" as well. Used it for witchy potion earlier.

Hugs

Well, the ones I've made so far look decent. I did alot of experimenting with mod podge, colored nail polish clear nail polish and tiny beads/fimo slices.

For the metal 'lid', I just replaced the little plastic stoppers that come w/ the bottles, and then painted them, and the the rim of the jar with silver nail polish. Pretty easy fix, and it looks like a real mason jar lid!