Favorite flooring techniques? Websites?

starblade6

So, my daughter can't decide what kind of flooring she wants... I've shown her several colors of carpeting on a website I found. I've also shown her some hardwood strips and laminate. So far nothing has really intrigued her :/ I don't think it's that she doesn't like it- I think she is just wanting something different. So far everything we've seen has been common stuff that you see in houses all the time. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places?...  I was just wondering if any of you have some insight or suggestions on flooring? Go-to websites? Maybe you've found some unique/different patterns or even created your own? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :please:  As some of you may already know, this is our first build. And I'm definitely NOT the crafty type lol I can't even sew! :ohmy:  This is all for my little girl- she's the artsy one in the family lol But she's just as lost as I am right now. 

I've used kitchen backsplash tiles from Lowes or Home Depot. You peal them off the backing and butt them together and glue them down. I've also used scrapbook paper, pictured below. I bought a suede type fabric and used that for carpeting. I've used my mini tablesaw to cut fine grooves in balsa boards, stained and sealed them to a beautiful hard finish. I've used strip wood from Michaels and made hardwood floors by cutting the strip wood into various sizes.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=99111

This is a bakery shop, correct? Maybe a more industrial look might work.

My Twinkle enjoyed making intricate brick patterns for one of her floors. We purchased premade bricks and she colored them in varying shades, sealed them, and she created lovely patterns and designs with them.

You can make your own with Creativ Paper Clay (sp?) from Michaels or Joanns or Walmart.

You can often find peel and stick tiles at the dollar store that can be cut up into designs as well. A black and white or red and white theme would go nicely in a bakery setting ~ her choice of sides of tiles and designs.

Have her draw some ideas out on graph paper to fiddle around with first to get her thinking. Also think about furniture or counter/shelf placements in relation to your designs.

Thanks so much y'all! These are great ideas :) And Selkie, it WAS a bakery. Before that it was going to be a pet shop lol but now she wants a house instead. She's probably going to change her mind again before we get done... possibly more than once!  :bear:  I'm just along for the ride haha

I've used leather in two of my houses.........the bedroom in De Pass Road has a black patterned glove leather and the sitting room in Willington Gardens has chestnut leather tiles (stick the leather to mount card and cut the tiles) surrounded by a walnut border!

I get the leathers from a supplier here in the UK .......great for furniture as well!

Heather, I have scribed floorboards directly into the kit floor and I have split siding strips and cut them into board lengths and I presently like to use the iron-on wood veneer strips cut to "boards".  I have also used self-adhesive contact paper:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=595 and http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=594 and I have painted and decoupaged for a painted floor technique (sorry, no pictures of those) and I have used self-adhesive vinyl tiles and painted thick paper, as well as paint sample chips.  For wall-to-wall carpet I used the intact portion of an old velour sweatshirt:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=13783.  I also stitch my rugs, but haven't yet tried painted floorcloths.  Turn your daughter loose in the local library with copies of Architectural Digest or other home decorating magazines and let her imagination rip!

I've used leather in two of my houses.........the bedroom in De Pass Road has a black patterned glove leather and the sitting room in Willington Gardens has chestnut leather tiles (stick the leather to mount card and cut the tiles) surrounded by a walnut border!

I get the leathers from a supplier here in the UK .......great for furniture as well!

That is a neat idea! I bet it is beautiful! :)

Heather, I have scribed floorboards directly into the kit floor and I have split siding strips and cut them into board lengths and I presently like to use the iron-on wood veneer strips cut to "boards".  I have also used self-adhesive contact paper:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=595 and http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=594 and I have painted and decoupaged for a painted floor technique (sorry, no pictures of those) and I have used self-adhesive vinyl tiles and painted thick paper, as well as paint sample chips.  For wall-to-wall carpet I used the intact portion of an old velour sweatshirt:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=13783.  I also stitch my rugs, but haven't yet tried painted floorcloths.  Turn your daughter loose in the local library with copies of Architectural Digest or other home decorating magazines and let her imagination rip!

Thanks Holly! I love all of yours lol and the library/magazine ideas! She would live at the library lol

Me, too!  I keep the old issues of AD and some of the others for ideas to use in mini.

Since you spoke highly of AD magazine, I purchased a copy today. Love it, may have to start a subscription!

Archived